*** The Official Microsoft Surface Thread ***

Associate
That's true according to their website but I read somewhere (Forbes I think) that seemed to say that was a mistake.

Either way that isn't bad if it can reach that!

I saw a video by CNet who interviewed Panos, and he said it was 9 hours web browsing.

It also has standby battery life for 1 year, so if you turn it off or put it to sleep, in theory you should be able to wake it without charge a year later.

Soldato
Im not sold still tbh, the pen should click into the device somewhere and charge, especially as it needs a battery.
I'm also not i pressed by the whole dock situation or what appears to be writing off of the Pro 2.....

Associate
Was really hoping they'd realise a good 8 inch version to compete with the likes of the Dell venue 8 pro, Lenovo tab 8 and Asus's 8 inch windows tablet.

Once you start to get 13 inch screen size I'd have thought something like a Dell XPS 13 would make much more business sense (that's assuming that business people are who they are targeting)

Soldato
Was really hoping they'd realise a good 8 inch version to compete with the likes of the Dell venue 8 pro, Lenovo tab 8 and Asus's 8 inch windows tablet.

Once you start to get 13 inch screen size I'd have thought something like a Dell XPS 13 would make much more business sense (that's assuming that business people are who they are targeting)

I think the SP3 is MSFT trying to figure out the best way to use Windows 8, and it sort of great for that. For a business person I think a full laptop might make better sense, having more ports, a proper keyboard etc might be a real need for some.

I'm personally looking forward to how far they push things with Boardwell.

Associate
I have just got my pre order from a friend in USA. He is visiting at the end of June so should bring my shiny.

I went for the model up from the bottom one. Its the i5 one with a 128GB SSD and 4GB of RAM.

I have 2 questions however. I see that Toshiba have only just in the last month or so released their UHS-II micro SD cards to specific review sites. Seeing as I only will have around 90GB of space to play with. Do you believe that the card slot on this device will infact be capable of reading UHS-II cards? Or just the UHS-I spec? If I can get away with using UHS-ii cards when they come down in price I will be more than happy. http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/17/toshiba-microsd-uhs-ii/

Question 2, does anyone think that the 35w transformer that it comes with will accept 110 AND 240v AC inputs or does it just support 110v? If its the latter, then I will need to buy a travel adapter or replace the first AC section of the power lead. If its only 110V then I need to buy a step down transformer off ebay before I can replace the cable.

Soldato
Checked my Surface Pro and it's 110-240V with a standard figure-8 lead to the plug. I can't see the Pro 3 being any different.

I've not seen a laptop without a 110-240V AC adaptor in over 10 years. Costs them more to produce mutiple AC adapters for different markets than a single multi-voltage one with different plugs.

Not sure on the SDXC card, I would guess it'll work but perhaps at UHS-1 speeds unless it explicitly supports UHS-II. UHS-1 is nicely nippy - I've got a few steam games installed on one in mine and it's works just fine.

Associate
Thanks. What micro SD card do you reccomend? I was either thinking of the Samsung pro one or spending a bit more on the sandisk extreme plus one.

Soldato
This is pretty much the type of thing I was wanting a few months ago

Is it worth pre ordering or should prices drop towards release date?

Back
Top Bottom