Google-Motorola "X Phone" in the 2013 pipeline?

Associate
Where's the best place to buy one of these at the moment - either the 16GB or 32GB one?

And if I'm buying from e-bay what things do I need to look out for? e.g. phones imported from the US.

I'm on a 3 sim only deal so I'm thinking of getting one to take advantage of the 4g service.

Soldato
I think it's to do with the glass and the display being so close to each other. I peer at the sides of the screen and can't see a gap at all. If the distance between the glass and the display is so small refraction will be lower, so visibility in bright light will be better. I have no idea if this is something to do with the fact that it's AMOLED (as in, maybe LCD screens need a bigger gap or whatever).

Most new mid to top end phones now come with bonded screens - no air gap.

Good visibility is sunlight will be down to decent 4-500+ cd/m2 output, good polariser (very important) and air gap (lack of)

jcr

jcr

Associate
Where's the best place to buy one of these at the moment - either the 16GB or 32GB one?

And if I'm buying from e-bay what things do I need to look out for? e.g. phones imported from the US.

I'm on a 3 sim only deal so I'm thinking of getting one to take advantage of the 4g service.

new phones are going for around £220(upgrades) on ebay at the mo or around £270 online

jcr

jcr

Associate
received my new phone today. like the size a lot. had a quick play around to make sure all is well. will play with it properly on friday when i give the iphone up.

jcr

jcr

Associate
sorry for the dumb question but can anyone tell me where i find the return button on the standard keyboard? the phone came running kitkat 4.4.2
theres an emoji button where it should be. thanks

Associate

If you need 4G you'll need to get the AT&T/T-Mobile version (also might be listed as the "GSM version"). I'm not sure how things stand in terms of SIM-unlocking, so you'd better get a Developer Edition. The Verizon version also works over here, but not in 4G.

Considering how cheap the 16GB versions are going for over here though, I'd seriously think twice whether you REALLY need 32GB! At the time I imported mine it ended up costing me only £40 or so more than a 16GB edition, but considering how much the 16GB version has dropped the difference would now be a lot bigger. If you're gonna have 4G with 3's all-you-can-eat deal I think you can get away with streaming all the media you need and using services like Dropbox for everything else - 16Gb will be more than enough for your apps and games! Even after installing ALL THE THINGS on my 32GB one I still have 19GB left, and that's with me never having bothered to get my videos and photos off it since I bought it! :p

Associate
If you need 4G you'll need to get the AT&T/T-Mobile version (also might be listed as the "GSM version"). I'm not sure how things stand in terms of SIM-unlocking, so you'd better get a Developer Edition. The Verizon version also works over here, but not in 4G.

Considering how cheap the 16GB versions are going for over here though, I'd seriously think twice whether you REALLY need 32GB! At the time I imported mine it ended up costing me only £40 or so more than a 16GB edition, but considering how much the 16GB version has dropped the difference would now be a lot bigger. If you're gonna have 4G with 3's all-you-can-eat deal I think you can get away with streaming all the media you need and using services like Dropbox for everything else - 16Gb will be more than enough for your apps and games! Even after installing ALL THE THINGS on my 32GB one I still have 19GB left, and that's with me never having bothered to get my videos and photos off it since I bought it! :p

It basically what i now do with my 16GB Moto X, just stream all my music from Google Music while I'm on 3, so still have around 8GB of storage left with all my apps installed including Co Pilot, all pics and vids are uploaded to dropbox.

Associate
Having a 16gig X I stream instead of store music on my phone. Works a lot better than I ever thought it would. I'm on Three and never had buffering when listening to music. As to battery then I'm usually in a vehicle and plug charger in but the odd time I haven't it doesn't seem to drain the battery a lot.

No X+1 announcement yesterday? Kind of thought they may not announce anything just yet. In some respects I'm pleased as the only thing that may tempt me to change my Moto X would be an updated Moto X+1 :rolleyes: Dependent on specs of course and subject to it not being a lot bigger.

Associate
No more than what it would do listening to music on your device, but i do have mine hook upto a Fiio E6 headphone amp which is suppose to take some of the strain off the battery so called.

I think the point was streaming means using data, which can kill the battery very quickly depending on how much data is being used.

Associate
Been streaming music on my note 2 and note 3 for a while now with a bluetooth headset using Google music. Battery life is fine and works great. I guess receiving data doesn't consume that much compared to having a screen on.

Associate
Does streaming music not destroy your battery life?

Not as much as you would think. Yesterday I used Play Music quite a bit without plugging charger in. Moto X was connected to vehicle head unit via headphone jack as the unit has no blue tooth. I noted that for every hour the battery dropped 4 to 5%. I'm not too certain what the X uses when sat there idle but didn't think the battery use was excessive.

Moto X was unplugged fully charged just before 6am and with a little over an hours screen on time, quite a few calls with a little browsing, email and 6 hours Play Music set at high quality streaming the battery was down to 40% by 11pm. Not too bad :cool:

Associate
So any word on a new/updated Moto X coming? I'm currently using an HTC One which I do rather like, but I do like to keep my eye on new phones incase here's something I really fancy.

I had a look at the HTC One M8 for the first time in person at the weekend, and really didn't like it that much. It's too big, headphone jack is moved to the bottom, doesn't have the capacitive buttons of the HTC One which considering it's increase in size is daft.

The Moto X on the other hand is about the perfect size and the screen off features/notifications system is pretty cool. (not sure I'd want my phone constantly listening to me though). Anyhow that's what's lead me here to see if there's an update of it coming soon.

Back
Top Bottom