Online only Estate Agents

Soldato
Hi,

Looking to sell my house and move on to something better. The house is immaculate throughout having been completely redecorated over the past 18 months including new bathroom and kitchen. The finish is to a high standard.

My house is a 2 up 2 down, off street parking, enclosed rear garden of good size. A first time buyers dream?

So, thoughts with regards to selling.

- It'll sell easily as the housing market is a bit mad here in Bristol. A similar house on our road sold within 3 days of being on the market last month.

- I want to achieve top money for my house as yet to find anything so not in a huge rush, can be a little patient.

Because I am certain it'll go easily I am considering using an online estate agent, has anybody any experience with these types of agent? Can you recommend any agents? I'm not concerned with conducting viewings and can be flexible with times so could conduct day time or evening viewings.

My concern is that a local agent could achieve a higher value for me? Do you think this to be true?

I am going to sound out a few of the local agents next week, get them to value it and listen to their spiel.

Cheers.

Soldato
First time buyers. Chances are they are young then. Young means chances are they be using Rightmove/Zoopla/Other. So already online.

I've bought a number of properties and only ever go to an actual bricks and mortar estate agent to collect the keys was completed.

Its funny when you read some forums all the negatives about online agents seem to stem from traditional agents ****ging online only off.

When you meet the "traditional" agents just ask them what they do over and above what an online only agent does.

The main answer will be "we know the local market" and "We may already have a buyer"
Well you may also know the local market and if they have a buyer already then they can move on their commission as its a quick easy sale for them

Soldato
OP
The main answer will be "we know the local market" and "We may already have a buyer"
Well you may also know the local market and if they have a buyer already then they can move on their commission as its a quick easy sale for them

Thanks for the reply, this is the exact thought I've had.

Soldato
I have a renovation on a road that is maybe 150meters long.
3 houses have sold in the last month ALL within 2 weeks of being marketed. I will be using an online agent when its finished.

Soldato
I used emoov, much of my experience can be found here: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=24007034&postcount=10

Essentially if you are going to be showing people around yourself, and let's face it who wouldn't as you are the best place person to sell your own home, then I don't see how a high street agent can be competitive.

Using an online estate agent is also more pleasant for everyone as they aren't trying to squeeze more out of the buyer for their commission as everything is paid for up front.

Soldato
When i sell, im going to use an online agent, my dealings with the agents in Berkshire has been horrible, i would recommend only one company out of all of them.

Next time, definitely doing it myself

Soldato
I'm currently selling my house through http://www.myhouseadvert.co.uk/ and have found them to be brilliant so far. If you're happy to do your own advert, photos and viewings then it seems like a no brainer.
I used them to sell my house last year - it sold within a week for the asking price. Dixons wanted £3k to sell it, the online agent cost me approx £250 including the EPC.

:: EDIT ::
In terms of passing the keys onto your buyer - use their Solicitor :)

Last edited:
Soldato
What I hate about brick and mortar estate agents is when your are selling a probate house, you want the agents to do all the viewings. What happens is when a viewing booking comes in, the agents phones me wanting me to do the viewing. What the hell am I paying the agent for!

Man of Honour
I want to achieve top money for my house as yet to find anything so not in a huge rush, can be a little patient.

Only downside to this is if you haven't found anywhere some may be slightly put off bidding if they are looking to move quickly i.e. if you had everything sorted then a 'top money' offer may be easier to achieve. Probably not that big a deal though as it is more the other way round that raises eyebrows (not having put own house on the market).

Soldato
OP
I'm currently selling my house through http://www.myhouseadvert.co.uk/ and have found them to be brilliant so far. If you're happy to do your own advert, photos and viewings then it seems like a no brainer.

These guys look good and your feedback is very helpful.

How did you go about valuing your house? Did you check out a local agent?

I have a pretty good idea what it's worth but I guess hearing it from someone impartial would also be beneficial.

Soldato
With online agents you can revise the price at any time. Value it yourself, add on £5k-10k and reduce it if you don't have any interest after a couple of weeks. If you are in a hurry to sell then undervalue it slightly given your savings on the advertising.

JLJ

JLJ

Associate
If you were in London, you could go to zoopla, look up the last house that sold on your street, if its less then 6 months ago, bang on 20% else use suitable multiplier.

Associate
These guys look good and your feedback is very helpful.

How did you go about valuing your house? Did you check out a local agent?

I have a pretty good idea what it's worth but I guess hearing it from someone impartial would also be beneficial.

I didn't get it valued but I had been watching the local housing market for a fair while before listing it so had a decent idea. The price I listed for was derived from the sale price of similar houses and the demand in the area (there were very few others up for sale). Getting an agents opinion is a good idea but I wouldn't have much faith in their price.

Had 2 offers on the property after a week, the agent handled the negotiation and got a price I'm very happy with. That was 2 months ago now and things are only just starting to move with our purchase.

One thing to bear in mind with myhouseadvert.co.uk is that if you go for the monthly payment option you have to pay them until completion.

Soldato
What I hate about brick and mortar estate agents is when your are selling a probate house, you want the agents to do all the viewings. What happens is when a viewing booking comes in, the agents phones me wanting me to do the viewing. What the hell am I paying the agent for!

Lazy people might, but who is better to sell it than the owner of the house who lives in it every day, knows what has been done, knows how to spin the negative aspects, describe the neighbors/neighborhood in the best light etc.

I have been on so many viewings where an agent just stands there playing with their phone completely disinterested because they know nothing about the house. You ask a question and they reply "I don't know". You ask them to get back to you and they don't. What's the point in them being there?

Back
Top Bottom