Why do people think OSX is so great?

Associate
People offer entirely relevant suggestions to be received by "I've been around computers for too long to know that doing a "repair" isn't going to fix this Sleep Wake Failure kernel panic"

The guy doesn't want to be helped and just wants to moan so might as well give up ;)

Soldato
OP
People offer entirely relevant suggestions to be received by "I've been around computers for too long to know that doing a "repair" isn't going to fix this Sleep Wake Failure kernel panic"

The guy doesn't want to be helped and just wants to moan so might as well give up ;)

Where was the entirely relevant suggestion to fix the Sleep Wake Failure issue? There hasn't been any suggestions. How about, you know, reading the thread rather than just sitting on the sidelines and slinging mud?

Soldato
I agree with some of your points and overall I'm indifferent to Mac OS. I like it, but I like Windows. I switch between the two regularly.

It does some things better than Windows, but it does some things far, far worse. Window management is clunky (for example, why can't 'maximise' actually maximise? I want to use all of my screen without having to drag a corner of the window), Finder is awful, network drive support is awful, some settings and configuration options are in bizarre hard-to-find places, Apple seem to like removing features at random with no reason (i.e. the ability to have the battery time remaining in the menu bar.. Why?!).

On the contrary, software installation and removal is dead easy, driver support is fantastic and device installation is super quick, Time Machine is fantastic, reinstallation over the internet is a great idea in this day and age.

What I do like the most about Apple computers is the quality of the hardware in comparison with, well, everything else.

The stability issues you're having aren't down to Mac OS itself - there's an issue with your system.

Oh and yes, unfortunately Chrome on OS X is a huge resource hog / leak :( it's a shame because it's much better to use than Safari.

Last edited:
Associate
Please just try an erase and install, if the issue persists then it's a hardware issue. Or even a archive install first.

Sleep Wake Failure is purely a failure to wake from sleep which could be down to a whole load of things. Did you even read the rest of the panic log?

Yes RAM faults can actually produce intermittent issues, yes so can a SSD.

Soldato
OP
Please just try an erase and install, if the issue persists then it's a hardware issue. Or even a archive install first.

Sleep Wake Failure is purely a failure to wake from sleep which could be down to a whole load of things. Did you even read the rest of the panic log?

Yes RAM faults can actually produce intermittent issues, yes so can a SSD.

Is this whole post specifically concerning the Sleep Wake Failure?

Yes I read the rest of the panic log, but it was just dozens of stack traces from the kernel. What else are you expecting to glean from such a log? CPU registers?

RAM faults typically show up as segmentation faults, not as a persistent kernel panic concerning a specific power management failure. An SSD fault causing this seems unlikely since I haven't yet seen OSX do a hibernation to disk. It always seems to just play with CPU sleep states. Which of course means the RAM is kept powered during sleep.

I won't be erasing and reinstalling for this particular issue, no. Evidence is very clear that it is a bug in 10.9.3, and indeed I recognised the symptoms shortly after upgrading to 10.9.3. Unfortunately I don't have Time Machine setup so I can't roll back to 10.9.2 either.

Soldato
OP
I agree with some of your points and overall I'm indifferent to Mac OS. I like it, but I like Windows. I switch between the two regularly.
Me too. I run Windows in VMware Fusion, works pretty good. Wish Fusion supported V-sync though...

It does some things better than Windows, but it does some things far, far worse. Window management is clunky (for example, why can't 'maximise' actually maximise? I want to use all of my screen without having to drag a corner of the window), Finder is awful, network drive support is awful, some settings and configuration options are in bizarre hard-to-find places, Apple seem to like removing features at random with no reason (i.e. the ability to have the battery time remaining in the menu bar.. Why?!).
That is the weird paradox with OSX. One half of its window management is absolutely awful. This is the half which seemingly hasn't been improved since the 1980s for fear of offending what must be 1% of their customer base. The other half, the virtual desktops (workspaces) and mission control and all that lark, is lightyears ahead of what Windows has.

On the contrary, software installation and removal is dead easy, driver support is fantastic and device installation is super quick, Time Machine is fantastic, reinstallation over the internet is a great idea in this day and age.
My only comment on driver support would be... to use a external HDD with NTFS you need to buy Tuxera's NTFS driver. And second, OSX doesn't natively support accessing lots of USB devices that use the MTP protocol. This means all Android phones. But also lots of other devices like media players and cameras. I've not looked into this too much yet, other than discovering that the official Android File Transfer app for OSX is a pile of turd and causes the USB controller to crash resulting in a non responsive keyboard and touchpad.

What I do like the most about Apple computers is the quality of the hardware in comparison with, well, everything else.
Yup.

The stability issues you're having aren't down to Mac OS itself - there's an issue with your system.
Well that remains to be seen really. I'm yet to see anything that indicates to me it is a hardware issue. As said, the Android File Transfer app was causing one of the bigger issues. It seems possible that VMware Fusion may be causing or at least contributing to in some way this Sleep Wake Failure issue. I will keep investigating that one.

Unlike crazy non-suggestions on here to accept my machine is faulty hardware and to get it replaced, or to cross my fingers and do a clean reinstall... I am actually working the problems, doing research, to logically come to reasoned solutions. I guess that's one thing that sets a long-time Windows and Linux power user apart from the typical Apple "where's the nearest Genius bar" worship fodder. Sorry if that upsets anyone but it's the god damn truth.

Oh and yes, unfortunately Chrome on OS X is a huge resource hog / leak :( it's a shame because it's much better to use than Safari.
Yup, know that now :(

Caporegime
Unlike crazy non-suggestions on here to accept my machine is faulty hardware and to get it replaced, or to cross my fingers and do a clean reinstall... I am actually working the problems, doing research, to logically come to reasoned solutions. I guess that's one thing that sets a long-time Windows and Linux power user apart from the typical Apple "where's the nearest Genius bar" worship fodder. Sorry if that upsets anyone but it's the god damn truth.

No it isn't. Well certainly not in my case. I've been supporting Windows systems far longer than I've been working with OSX and have a healthy understanding of both.

The point you don't seem to be grasping is the fact that you're pretty much the only one here with as many issues as this. So what exactly does that say to you?

We're all running similar hardware with basically the same version of the OS, yet we don't get the same issues as you?

If we were all getting them then yes it would be down to a bug that there isn't a fix yet for, but the simple case is is that we're not. Why do you point blank refuse to believe that there could be a hardware issue or a deep software corruption with your machine? That's what I'm trying to comprehend. You've got people here offering you genuine advice but you keep throwing it back saying "no you're wrong" when, if you've still got the issues, clearly you haven't figured out why yet and just blaming it all to bugs what makes you right, and us lot, wrong?

As a matter of fact, a sign where there is a genuine bug is if you look for Mavericks and issues accessing network drives via SMB2, you'll find countless threads detailing the issues and work arounds, those are bug related. One person having the aforementioned issues, is not.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
No it isn't. Well certainly not in my case. I've been supporting Windows systems far longer than I've been working with OSX and have a healthy understanding of both.

The point you don't seem to be grasping is the fact that you're pretty much the only one here with as many issues as this. So what exactly does that say to you?

We're all running similar hardware with basically the same version of the OS, yet we don't get the same issues as you?

If we were all getting them then yes it would be down to a bug that there isn't a fix yet for, but the simple case is is that we're not. Why do you point blank refuse to believe that there could be a hardware issue or a deep software corruption with your machine? That's what I'm trying to comprehend. You've got people here offering you genuine advice but you keep throwing it back saying "no you're wrong" when, if you've still got the issues, clearly you haven't figured out why yet and just blaming it all to bugs what makes you right, and us lot, wrong?

As a matter of fact, a sign where there is a genuine bug is if you look for Mavericks and issues accessing network drives via SMB2, you'll find countless threads detailing the issues and work arounds, those are bug related. One person having the aforementioned issues, is not.

That wasn't really at you Phate... and you should already know that I know you're a long time Windows user...

I don't quite understand your logic here though. I *have* found countless threads from people with the same issues as me. But apparently this does not qualify? There seems to be some train of thought in this thread that if no participants in the thread except me are experiencing a problem (irrespective of the wider web) then it must mean I am doing something wrong or my machine is broken. I really don't understand this logic. OcUK is not the be-all-end-all you know.

And yeah I didn't want to mention the Windows file sharing bugs in OSX. It's basically pretty much broken and unusable :p It didn't bother me enough though to warrant mentioning it. My view is that if you want to access Windows file shares, then use a Windows VM. Which is what I do.

Are you running VMware Fusion? Remember this installs a hypervisor deep into the system... which would mean, if you don't have VMware Fusion, then your system along with lots of other peoples in this thread is *not* the same as mine.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tbh Linux is the best OS, OSX just looks pretty which is why people prefer it, Windows is functional as an everyday OS, however BSOD's and "Unrecoverable Errors" with no explanation as why it needed to reboot is a daily thing

Associate
I currently have a 13" MBPr Haswell, running OS X 10.9.3 and VMware Fusion. Not had any issues.

My work laptop, 15" MBPr Early 2013, running OS X 10.9.3 and VMware Fusion. Again, not had any issues.

Soldato

Something along those lines had a occurred to me earlier. The only kernel panics I've experienced previously were due to bugs in a beta build of Parallels Desktop. Problem kext causing a Kernel Panic is a similar concept to bad drivers causing a BSOD in Windows.

And yeah I didn't want to mention the Windows file sharing bugs in OSX. It's basically pretty much broken and unusable :p It didn't bother me enough though to warrant mentioning it. My view is that if you want to access Windows file shares, then use a Windows VM. Which is what I do.

Couldn't agree more. I've kept all the Macs at work on 10.6 as it's the last version that seems to play properly on a Windows network. SMBx isn't fit for purpose.

Last edited:
Associate
My only comment on driver support would be... to use a external HDD with NTFS you need to buy Tuxera's NTFS driver. And second, OSX doesn't natively support accessing lots of USB devices that use the MTP protocol. This means all Android phones. But also lots of other devices like media players and cameras. I've not looked into this too much yet, other than discovering that the official Android File Transfer app for OSX is a pile of turd and causes the USB controller to crash resulting in a non responsive keyboard and touchpad.

Nath, format your external HDD's as exfat. Windows XP SP2 and above supported exfat :)

Caporegime
That wasn't really at you Phate... and you should already know that I know you're a long time Windows user...

I don't quite understand your logic here though. I *have* found countless threads from people with the same issues as me. But apparently this does not qualify? There seems to be some train of thought in this thread that if no participants in the thread except me are experiencing a problem (irrespective of the wider web) then it must mean I am doing something wrong or my machine is broken. I really don't understand this logic. OcUK is not the be-all-end-all you know.

Are you running VMware Fusion? Remember this installs a hypervisor deep into the system... which would mean, if you don't have VMware Fusion, then your system along with lots of other peoples in this thread is *not* the same as mine.

Oh I know, I'm enjoying the healthy debate though! I think we met at one point at a meet, didn't we? Possibly.

My logic being is that usually when they are specific bugs like this only one person on a specific forum with a lot of active users is exceedingly rare. Windows is different, too many variations...OSX is pretty unified in terms of hardware etc. And if you google almost any issue on the net, changes are you'll find someone else claiming it as a bug. If the fact a repair install would wipe data then I'd suggest alternative methods, but considering its something you can kick off and leave and then come back to with zero user interaction, I go back to my original point, what have you got to lose? :p

I have Mavericks accessing network shares on my NAS at home fine now, but I had to force it to use SMB instead of SMBII which isn't universally available or in use yet and since then, the issues have gone away. :) - But otherwise I was doing it through Windows. Blergh, annoying somewhat.

Yep I use Fusion, I have 6 VM's that I use for training/lab environments. The difference being is that you're on a MBP and I'm on an iMac.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
It's not arrogance - it's a standard Apple UK keyboard.

It's a Mac, not a IBM/Wintel PC. The Mac might share some common components with one now, but that wasn't the case 30 years ago.

I love apple keyboard, but any unix keyboard that doesn't have # by default (alt-3 in UK layout, but it produces € instead of # in every other european layout) but has § and ± as dedicated keys is just screaming display of corporate idiocy.

V F

V F

Soldato
Tbh Linux is the best OS, OSX just looks pretty which is why people prefer it, Windows is functional as an everyday OS, however BSOD's and "Unrecoverable Errors" with no explanation as why it needed to reboot is a daily thing

Since when? It's been near enough a rock solid OS since Windows XP. SP3 Reboots was a rarity unless it was system updates and new drivers.

Back
Top Bottom