My friend just bought this !

Permabanned
Oh and if you have the air con switched on, you loose a lot of power. Considering it doesn't have much, it can be embarrassing wondering why you're not moving, particularly on faster roads!

It's the noise the engine makes when you switch the air con on that always makes me laugh. Like a fat kid suddenly being prompted to run and complaining about the extra work.

has anyone ever thought about buying an Aygo/C1 etc. (really small car) and adding in some cheap but effective power mods? Sounds like it could be fun as hell

It would be an absolute hoot with a hayabusa or ZX12 / ZX14 conversion for lots more power and a minimal weight increase. It's something I would do if I had a garage and I could get the missus to part with it.

Soldato
Her post on facebook sigh :(

Got my new piece of metal on wheels...bluey 2...and it is pretty zippy! Feelin sad to let go of bluey 1 tho', my last car had real character....oh well... we had our time together...but it was a goodbye today....so sadly we have had to part....
Like · · Share
4 people like this.

Ooh, what colour is it?

A lovely blue....blue...blue !!!

Yah! A girlfriend who understands my sentiment exactly ! None of this car technical stuff...that's just a piece of cake...what make, model up and coming in WHICH, fuel consumption petrol or diesel, how the engine works???? economic or not for the drive, cc, tax payable per year, mileage lower than 50,000, whether it has 1 or 2 or even 3 owners ...etc etc...boring...!!! (My car has ticked all the right boxes for me)...IT IS BLUE !!!;) My bluey babe is gorgeous...and gonna be loved a lot ! Mx
25 May at 09:41 · Like · 1

Blue Toyota aygo...and it was a v.reasonable price...did a really good deal...good for towning and night and daytime nipping in and out of tight spaces...low on tax and M.O.T runs out same time next year. B.go. Not telling anymore !
So? It does the job for her and she likes it, why are you ****ging the whole situation off on an internet forum?

has anyone ever thought about buying an Aygo/C1 etc. (really small car) and adding in some cheap but effective power mods? Sounds like it could be fun as hell

No, it's a horrid car in every possible way other than being very cheap to run. Doubling, tripling, quadrupling, or even increasing ten-fold the horsepower would not turn it into a good car.

Associate
OP
Sounds like she's happy with her purchase.

I don't see the point in getting involved, particularly if the factors affecting her decision are so vastly different to the rationale you'd apply in the same situation.

Just accept that some people don't apply the same thought process as you would and move on.

Fair enough just wondered if it was a good buy or not :)

Soldato
It's the noise the engine makes when you switch the air con on that always makes me laugh. Like a fat kid suddenly being prompted to run and complaining about the extra work.

:D Oh now that is brilliant - but you're absolutely right!

No, it's a horrid car in every possible way other than being very cheap to run. Doubling, tripling, quadrupling, or even increasing ten-fold the horsepower would not turn it into a good car.

Spot on! A friend of mine found a company that would add some performance parts. I told him to forget it, as it was pointless.

Soldato
I owned an Aygo from new in 2008 to 2010. Depreciated around £2k in that time and for me, who at that point in time was not interested in cars, suited me down to the ground.

I'm no advocate of small city cars but you can do a lot worse than the Aygo.

IMHO they are the best looking city car available, and they will hold residuals well and are incredibly cheap to run. Of course, they're no 5 series, and very few comparisons can be made between them! However mine suited my needs well for the time I owned it.

Certainly not the "horrid" car that Howard is claiming them to be. They're pretty safe too, I had a major accident in mine and my girlfriend and I were unhurt.

Shame it's a 3 door, the 5 door makes it really convenient (and not just for passangers).

The right driver can get them moving along nicely. Just keep the revs above 5k!

Associate
I've not posted on these forums for some years, but felt the need to inject some positive comments into this thread. I'd say your friend could have done a lot worse for the money, and I'd not expect to be able to pick one up for much less from a dealer, considering it has air con and low-ish miles.

I appreciate that it's the done thing to bash these cars, but if you aren't inclined to spend the earth running a motor, they do a great job. I've owned one from new, which is now 3 years old and has required nothing except 2 front tyres in 35k miles. I've Driven it to Southern Spain and back without needing to see the Physio, so don't understand the comments about comfort. Perhaps if you're over 6ft, they wouldn't be the nicest place to be.

Ignore the "it doesn't have 200bhp or a V6" haters.

Permabanned
Perhaps if you're over 6ft, they wouldn't be the nicest place to be.

I'm 6ft 6 and it's actually not that bad for me at all. Granted, the seat has to go right back so I look like Hightower in that driving lesson scene in police academy and nobody will be able to sit behind me, but I do end up knocking the gear stick with my knee repeatedly.

Soldato
Its completely fine for short journeys, rides vastly better than the type R, but I can't stick it for more than half an hour or so as there is zero elbow room, gutless beyond gutless on the motorway and gets blown about by the fantastic Scottish weather.

Great for what they're intended - dirt cheap, simple short distance transport that's cheap to run. Even if you bought an early one and the clutch didngo they're pennies to replace

Soldato
1 litre? Good luck getting up any hills with anybody but the driver in the car lol.

My Peugeot 306 was far from being a quick car but it was fine even loaded up on the motorway going on holiday. That only had 75 BHP/Ton. While it is only a 1.0L the Aygo also only weighs 800KG so is 85 BHP/Ton. While it isn't going to set the world on fire it isn't as bad as you might imagine.

I've only driven a C1 for a day but I did cover 90 miles in it and I was pleasantly surprised with how it handled the mix of town, country road and dual carriageway work.

Soldato
You can't go fast enough to hurt yourself in one. :p

The irony being that the fastest I've ever driven on public roads (unrelated to that accident) was in an Aygo. Despite having owned a RenaultSport Clio 200 and two E46 330i's. You'd be surprised what a stretch of downhill motorway at 3am in the morning, coupled with a decent full minute and your mate egging you on can achieve in an Aygo.

Soldato
The wife has had one of these for a few years now, replacement for her 1L Micra that was written off in a non-fault incident. She likes it, and it's a handy and cheap little thing (we've got the 5 door; really handy for ferrying friends about).

Personally, I hate driving the thing. Feels gutless, tiny little midget steering wheel and the pedals... dear christ, the pedals. Feels like driving a horrid little go-kart with equally horrid clutch action. Still, if she's happy with it then I'm happy, and the very low tax is brilliant.

Soldato
The irony being that the fastest I've ever driven on public roads (unrelated to that accident) was in an Aygo. Despite having owned a RenaultSport Clio 200 and two E46 330i's. You'd be surprised what a stretch of downhill motorway at 3am in the morning, coupled with a decent full minute and your mate egging you on can achieve in an Aygo.

You wouldn't really - ours can't even achieve an indicated 3 figures...so I hear

Soldato
snip

Build quality across the range is very poor, interiors are basic, seats uncomfortable on longer journeys.

Snip

Agreed, Serviced a number of these, they may be cheap to run but the build quality is dreadful!

It is like "Back to the future, The 70's!"

(When the manufactures didn't bother to paint the bits you couldn't see!)

Probably cheap motoring bought reasonably new and passed on before it falls to bits but definitely not (IMO) a "Keeper"!

Permabanned

More like 90s Korean / Japanese economy cars. Closing the door on the Aygo gives me an instant nostalgic feeling of doing the exact same thing with a 3 cylinder 1 litre Suzuki Swift from the late 90s. Imagine that golf advert "sounds like a golf" but replace the door closing sound with someone stamping on a coke tin. "Sounds like an Aygo... *crunch*". If your doors don't thunk, it's just not quality.

Associate
Agreed, Serviced a number of these, they may be cheap to run but the build quality is dreadful!

(When the manufactures didn't bother to paint the bits you couldn't see!)

Probably cheap motoring bought reasonably new and passed on before it falls to bits but definitely not (IMO) a "Keeper"!

The 70's?!

BMW do it today! My M135 has no paint on the inside of the wings, behind the front doors, which looks terrible and no lacquer anywhere else that isn't directly visible e.g under the bonnet and underneath the bootlid.

So if that determines build quality then my gf's C1 is better built!

Back
Top Bottom