Why do people think OSX is so great?

Soldato
Anyone have any fix for wallpapers change randomly on connecting monitors/ waking from sleep. Its getting so fricking annoying, and as I type this I have 4 different wallpapers across my spaces/monitors. I typically just open 4 spaces on each monitors and change all the wallpapers and it might last for 1-2 weeks if I'm lucky then its starts going bat****.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Anyone have any fix for wallpapers change randomly on connecting monitors/ waking from sleep. Its getting so fricking annoying, and as I type this I have 4 different wallpapers across my spaces/monitors. I typically just open 4 spaces on each monitors and change all the wallpapers and it might last for 1-2 weeks if I'm lucky then its starts going bat****.

Nope. It's been this way since at the very least Lion.

Soldato
Surely anyone on this forum is a long time windows user...just saying...

The SMB2 bugs are shocking. Even on an all mac environment accessing attached storage from the server it wouldn't like moving files around on the storage medium, first level folders were fine but anything deeper it fussed.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Can't say I've ever had this problem and run a second monitor all the time.

Soldato

That's a problem with the preference file, fix here:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/21975175#21975175#21975175

Soldato
That's a problem with the preference file, fix here:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/21975175#21975175#21975175

Had an issue with my desktop and dock disappearing a long time ago, and I deleted the plist for them. Did a find and I can't seem to find a com.apple.desktop.plist throughout my system. Using iTerms and turned on hidden files so not sure whats up. Find 1 link suggested the desktop info is now stored in a DB which is in /Library/Application Support/Dock/ so I'm going to delete that now and change my desktops again and see what happens.

Soldato
Tbh Linux is the best OS, OSX just looks pretty which is why people prefer it, Windows is functional as an everyday OS, however BSOD's and "Unrecoverable Errors" with no explanation as why it needed to reboot is a daily thing

if your windows is having those errors, you have faulty hardware

windows simply doesn't crash, at least nowhere near as often as OS X does. That said I'm a massive OS X fan, but it has nothing to do with stability

V F

V F

Soldato
windows simply doesn't crash, at least nowhere near as often as OS X does. That said I'm a massive OS X fan, but it has nothing to do with stability

Eh… OS X and Windows is as solid as each other. Going all the way back to my use with Windows XP and Tiger. Blue screens or kernel panics was very, very rare.

Any other time, both Windows and OS X had weeks to months uptime's with heavy task day to day. Unless you carried out updates.

Well, Vista was another story. It never crashed but it was a drive grinder when the computer was inactive. All slow non responding explorer windows with network transferring or loading a folder full of exe's. Pain.

Last edited:
Soldato
if your windows is having those errors, you have faulty hardware

With both modern Windows and OSX oses if you are having frequent crashes then it's likely to be due to dodgy hardware (or poorly coded 3rd party software).

I think that I've seen maybe two OSX crashes in the last 5 years of using Macs and both times that was due to dodgy hardware ... I've probably seen more Windows crashes in that time but again they were mostly due to the things I've said above.

The only times my main Mac and Windows boxes are rebooted is when patches require them to be ... both seem pretty stable to me.

Wish OSX's SMB2 support worked properly though ...

Soldato
I've seen more kernel panics in the last week than the last 10 years, so I can very much agree with that statement. Another borked AMD GPU after 3 weeks of very light usage on the replacement logic board. God Bless the 2011 MBP! ;)

Associate
I've seen more kernel panics in the last week than the last 10 years, so I can very much agree with that statement. Another borked AMD GPU after 3 weeks of very light usage on the replacement logic board. God Bless the 2011 MBP! ;)

It's almost refreshing to see it being a dodgy AMD/ATI chip this time though ;)

Associate
Windows annoys me in that you have to manually refresh everything in a window to show changes, whether it is connected filesharing sessions, DHCP leases or files in a folder.

Windows Explorer search/indexing is slow and primitive compared to spotlight.

Mac is much better at organising large numbers of files and give you preview with the spacebar, or coverflow and metatag data is searchabl/sortable in the Finder. Imagine if you were a photographer with thousands of similar images!

However, I think Windows 8.1 is much better than previous versions even though most seasoned Windows users don't like it.

I use both, but if I could only choose one and my employer is paying, it would be Mac OS X - but with my own money...Hmmm, £450 laptop vs. £999? Maybe I would plump for Windows 8.1 even though the hardware would be inferior and OS not so much to my taste, I would rather spend the extra £550 on something else.

Associate
Now that Aqua is gone with Yosemite, it looks like a children's OS. There's no elegance.

This too. http://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/27/aperture-development-stops/

I disagree, OSX looks very dated compared to Windows 8.1, IMO, with all it's needless shininess and tacky animations (the minimise animation and stupid explosion when you delete certain things are particularly bad). These sort of things were cool when XP was popular and couldn't do flashy hardware accelerated graphics, but now, less is more.

(He says writing from an utterly gorgeous rMBP)

Soldato
Windows annoys me in that you have to manually refresh everything in a window to show changes, whether it is connected filesharing sessions, DHCP leases or files in a folder.

Windows Explorer search/indexing is slow and primitive compared to spotlight.

For XP/2003 yes, absolutely.

For modern Windows no, not at all.

Back
Top Bottom