Electrical - Anyone identify a buzzer in on this circuit board?

Soldato
Hi all,

Thought I'd post this here as some people here have electrical knowledge/experience

Am I right in saying the buzzer on this circuit board is in the bottom left? Taken a close up picture of that too

Also, if I remove the buzzer, what are the chances of the item (Qi phone charger) stopping working completely? Would I need to rebridge the connections, I could do this, but have no idea which of the four would need to be bridged to where

Hope someone can help

mIy5MKOl.jpg

dmpDp3Nl.jpg

Associate
By process of elimination at the very least, yes that would be the buzzer.

Why do you want to remove it??

To answer the question, no, I very much doubt anything else on the circuit relies on the continuity of the buzzer :)

Soldato
OP
By process of elimination at the very least, yes that would be the buzzer.

Why do you want to remove it??

To answer the question, no, I very much doubt anything else on the circuit relies on the continuity of the buzzer :)

Okay thanks

Because the beep it makes is quite loud at night (when I usually charge the phone)... And isn't really of any use as it has an LED to let you know you've positioned it correctly

Soldato
I have a different QI charger with a circular pcb but it looks to have identical components to yours, just arranged differently.

I also find it really annoying when it beeps at night and had wondered how to silence it.

Buzzer looks the same as yours, I just don't know what I would need to do to remove/bypass the buzzer. I can use a soldering iron, I just don't really have any electrical knowledge!

Soldato
OP
I have a different QI charger with a circular pcb but it looks to have identical components to yours, just arranged differently.

I also find it really annoying when it beeps at night and had wondered how to silence it.

Buzzer looks the same as yours, I just don't know what I would need to do to remove/bypass the buzzer. I can use a soldering iron, I just don't really have any electrical knowledge!

Not just me that the noise annoys then :D

I was hoping the legs of the components would go through the PCB and can be unsoldered from below, but I just unscrewed the PCB and they are actually surface mounted instead which makes it harder to remove / requires more skill, and won't be as easy to put it back if it is a necessary component and not the buzzer, that's all that's putting me off

Soldato
Well I just had a play around with it and realised it has a cap on it which pops off really easily. You can see a latch on it in your second photo, just lever that up with a small screwdriver. With the lid off you can see the speaker membrane.

This guy has another QI charger and just seems to destroy it to stop it from working. Charger still works fine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QyxGAxcsLg

I'm 100% sure that this component is the buzzer so I'm going to try breaking it and see what happens :D

Soldato
Well that didn't take long! The speaker membrane is just held on by a magnet and will come off very easily with a small screwdriver. Tested it and it charges now with no noise.

Great success!

Soldato
I placed the membrane back on the speaker and it worked again. So this is a non-destructive way of removing the buzzing, you can always put it back to how it was.

Give it a go! :)

Soldato
I don't know why I didn't try this before, it was so simple. It's been sat in my drawer for months because I hated the noise! I just chanced upon this thread and thought I'd give it a go.

Glad you got yours sorted too!

Soldato
OP
Yep it is nice and quiet now :D Also (nearly completely) blacked out the LED diffuser with a sharpie while I had it taken apart so it doesn't light up the room at night lol

Back
Top Bottom