An Unusual Request - Help Beat Bowel Cancer

OcUK Staff
Beating Bowel Cancer said:
Bowel cancer is the UK's second biggest cause of cancer deaths. Around 1 in 18 people will get bowel cancer and, of the 100 people diagnosed every day, almost half will die of the disease.

Neil Spicer, a business partner within the IT industry, but also a great friend, is doing something amazing. He is training hard to take part in the Marlow Half Iron Man. (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run), also running the Bournemouth marathon, and running the full London Marathon.

Neil works for AMD, and has worked with Overclockers UK for many many years, to help us/you with the fantastic deals and support. Also, I remember personally that he gave one of our forum members an AMD 6990 graphics card, some of you may remember this thread. :) http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=18489745&postcount=1653

In 2012, he has continued to do this, but has been looking after Kate (his wife), and their children due to bowel cancer. Kate was diagnosed with bowel cancer in May 2012, and was given the all clear in April 2013. 11 months she went through absolute hell.

Neil is training hard and is going to no doubt struggle with these events, but he says that it can never be as hard as going through what Kate went through.

So this thread is basically to ask the community to help out, and raise awareness and money towards the charity 'Beating Bowel Cancer'.

If you can kindly give something towards the charity through his page, and feel free to donate anonymously, by using your forum name, and adding OcUK at the end of your name, or in the comment box, so Neil knows it is from us! :)

http://www.justgiving.com/spicerneil/

OcUK Staff
I shall be adding my donation once I am back from Taiwan in over a weeks time.

Neil top bloke and so happy Kate is well again. :)

Associate
Being a regular platelet donor (2 hours donating platelets every 3 weeks) it's rewarding to hear about people who win the fight and can continue a healthy life. There's only 15,000 regular donors in the UK and we donate specifically to help cancer and burns victims.
There's a high chance I may have directly helped Kate if she required platelets during her recovery and I wish her all the best for the future! I shall endeavor to donate to Neil's fundraising - that's a tough ordeal he's putting himself through!
I'd encourage people to look into platelets if they already donate whole blood: http://www.blood.co.uk/platelets/

Associate
Will donate when I get home, my dad recently had bowel cancer too and survived thankfully, definitely not the nicest of things .....

Good Luck Neil !

Edit - Done !

Last edited:
Associate
Being a regular platelet donor (2 hours donating platelets every 3 weeks) it's rewarding to hear about people who win the fight and can continue a healthy life. There's only 15,000 regular donors in the UK and we donate specifically to help cancer and burns victims.
There's a high chance I may have directly helped Kate if she required platelets during her recovery and I wish her all the best for the future! I shall endeavor to donate to Neil's fundraising - that's a tough ordeal he's putting himself through!
I'd encourage people to look into platelets if they already donate whole blood: http://www.blood.co.uk/platelets/

I just want to say thanks. My wife would have died if it weren't for people like you who donate both blood and platelets

Associate
Donated. My family are going through this ourselves at the moment and it's not looking great. All the best.

Sorry 5UB i just glanced at the OP before clicking the link. I forgot to add OcUK.

Last edited:
Associate
First post on the forum and I think it's well worth it.

It's good to see your wifes success in the fight against cancer and what a wonderful thing you are doing to not only raise awareness but also money to help find a cure for it.

Donated and let's hope you get more!!!

Back
Top Bottom