Rebooting Stargate

Soldato
Yeah I've enjoyed everything Stargate but they'll have to be careful. The original film wasn't exactly a massive success, it just happened to spawn a pretty successful spin off.

Personally I'd much prefer they finish Universe off as that was the best thing that's come out of the franchise but that's never going to happen.

Soldato
Original director and writer on board.

I enjoyed the movie but I'd have hoped for another take on it with it being a reboot

Soldato
As much as i like the existing stargate universe, id rather they tried a proper reboot similar to star trek and others as keeps things new and interesting. The show writers tried with universe and while decent i think it just wasn't modern enough.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
stargate movie was crap only the series gave anything to the name

I agree loved the series but never cared much for the original movie the show had charm that I'm not sure they will be able to replicate.

As much as i like the existing stargate universe, id rather they tried a proper reboot similar to star trek and others as keeps things new and interesting. The show writers tried with universe and while decent i think it just wasn't modern enough.

universes problem was it was to long a season for the type of show they were trying to make 13 episodes was enough trying to stretch it to 20 never really worked.

Man of Honour
The build ups were the best - loved the first half of the original movie and the build up in the first episode of atlantis, etc. sadly much of it went downhill from there.

Permabanned
Yeah I've enjoyed everything Stargate but they'll have to be careful. The original film wasn't exactly a massive success, it just happened to spawn a pretty successful spin off.

The film took 200 million at the box office. I'd call that a massive success.

For me, the series were gash. I started SG-1 and then it fizzled out. Didn't even bother with the rest.

Caporegime
stargate movie was crap only the series gave anything to the name

very very true.

I don't think it will be any cop its hard to follow/remake what was one of the best sci-fi franchise thingies for a long time...

Re imagining it ? It will be a CGI fest.

Remember the WOAH from the Helmets the Jaffa wore in the original film? Doggy head and Birdie head for use of their incorect names (Anubis and Ra??)... lol by today's standards.

Good luck to it, but like BSG, it wont be BSG to the older generation, just some gritty reboot stuff along the same idea.

I enjoyed the movie and loved SG-1 and thought SG Atlantis was one of the best sci fi's I have seen. Universe just lost the charm and the humour and did nothing for me.

I think a reboot will be taking too much from Universe and try and do a BSG, which quite honestly was dull and depressing.

Soldato
They shouldn't have axed Universe. Had potential if they just got the right writers on board and mapped out a clear plan of where things needed to go.

Man of Honour
They shouldn't have axed Universe. Had potential if they just got the right writers on board and mapped out a clear plan of where things needed to go.

Definitely had a lot of potential but the writing really let it down, especially those **** stones and some of the related side stories to that.

Had some great actors and a lot of quality there with the right writers it in all probability could have been up there with the best shows.

Associate
I actually enjoyed the original movie. :)
But I believe like so many, the franchise only achieved it's true worth through the 3 TV series. Specifically SG-1 + Atlantis, in my opinion, where the best.

I was actually hoping for another TV series.
And I am fearful an new films will destroy the present canon, and the wonderful TV series right along with it... :(

Please thread carefully MGM + Warner Brothers, with our beloved StarGate.

Associate
I'd rather they rebooted the series instead of the movie franchise. Stargate just isn't big enough for one of these big reboots, especially in a 3 movie deal.

Enough with retelling the same story's and continue to tell the existing one and move that forward.

Soldato
Atlantis and SG-1 were fantastic. Universe never really agreed with me (because I always missed episodes when it was on Sky and couldn't be bothered chasing them up).

I saw the original movie twice as I liked it so much. I really hope they can do it justice!

Soldato
Was just browsing my movie collection in XBMC tonight, came across Stargate, always liked it and not watched in a few years. Stuck it on, enjoyed, finished, closed XBMC, open Firfox - OCUK Homepage, Movies forum.....Stargate Reboot. Spooky :eek::p

I don't know if a reboot is good or bad, on one hand I did notice a few of the effects ageing quite poorly but it wasn't that much of an effects film in general. Acting wise I think they nailed it first time as well as the build up so not sure what a reboot can really offer, a new film for young people who don't know the original existed? Admittedly the base idea is very cool which is why it spawned so many spin offs.

Soldato
Atlantis and SG-1 were fantastic. Universe never really agreed with me (because I always missed episodes when it was on Sky and couldn't be bothered chasing them up).

I saw the original movie twice as I liked it so much. I really hope they can do it justice!

News of this reboot is excellent news, but yes they have to do it just right. Since the show ended such a long time ago, most of todays kiddies wouldn't have even heard of it at all. I honestly can't see it doing too well but I hope I'm wrong.

Agree about your comments. SG-1 was simply the best scifi I'd ever seen aside from Firefly. Atlantis was really good too despite the Wraith being a boring enemy. Universe was just dreadful, so bad that they couldn't even give it an intro let alone half decent episode names (earth, wind fire, food wtf).

Soldato
Everywhere else I've read about this is saying it's basically hear say....

I'm kind of of the view that I very much doubt this is going to happen... they cancelled one of the films from sg1, there was supposedly going to be an atlantis film, never happened and from the tv company perspective universe was a flop (didn't think that was too bad personally once it got going).

I know this is the decade of reboots but there are many other things that could have a reboot.... airwolf, babylon 5 (not sure how you could improve on that except cgi) for example, hell I'm waiting on the buffy reboot lol

Back
Top Bottom