Google-Motorola "X Phone" in the 2013 pipeline?

Associate
I'm sure I saw the words "replaceable back cover" in one of the marketing blurbs on motorola's site? If not I'll just content myself to getting a nice-looking bumper :p

I'm really enjoying some of the sillier camera features like slo-mo video and burst mode btw. Makes for some funny pet photos (although the shutter speed is so slow they usually still come out fuzzy even in burst mode).
A couple of really minor niggling things about it annoy me though: the first is the lens is so close to the top of hte phone! WHY? It's so off-centre that my view through the viewfinder never matches with real life, and that makes snapping pics quickly (the whole point of having a camera on your phone!) harder. Secondly, it's almost impossible to hold the phone with your left hand without covering up the lens. Which, admittedly, I only need to do in situations like the above where I need my right hand to dangle string, and I realise that's a pretty niche use, but, again, phone cameras are DESIGNED for casual flippant uses, not serious photography! :p
So playing around trying to solve the above problem I discovered you can rotate the phone a full 180 degrees and hold it in landscape mode with the lens on your right side (so you can hold it with your left hand without covering the lens). This is pretty neat, my old HYC didn't do that! But guess what? I keep hitting the on-screen Android navigation buttons whenever I try to bring up the menu! :D It would have been such a small tweak to make the camera app go into full screen mode, and it'd completely solve this problem! It's annoying that such a tiny tweak eluded them!

Associate
Can't say for sure as UK Moto X is delivered using Kitkat. I did read some place in the past that it was supposed to have. Overall I find the camera 'not bad' but never have have great expectaions of a phone cam :rolleyes:

Phone itself is rock solid. Best phone I've had as a work a day phone. Zero issues and even got past the low storage on board. Music was the biggest storage hog and now carry none using Play Music instead. There will be no doubt occasions when this option would not work when there was no signal for a prolonged period but have a OTG USB stick with music and other files on if required. This option does work well too.

Latest update around the corner 4.4.3 so looks like Motorola are standing by their phones. A new Moto X later in the year will be interesting to see what they follow up with? I've not rooted my X (is it possible on 4.4.2?) and have no reason too. If I root there is no Sky Go :mad: Wakelock detectors don't really work on Kitkat but my Moto X easily sees me through a full day. That said there is the occasional day when the battery takes a hammering and can drop a lot faster than normal for some reason I can't fathom. MAy be signal related I'm not sure but even so it still gets through the day but may be below 20% by 11pm after a 5-30am start. Oftentimes it's between 40 to 60 percent by 11pm. All depends on usage of course.

Soldato
Did the KitKat upgrade improve the camera performance btw?

4.4.3 has apparantly:

Improved Moto X camera quality
Motorola is really going to town with the Android 4.4.3 update. One of the best bits is something totally specific to the Motorola Moto X.

Motorola claims the Moto X will have "Improved camera image quality including better consistency of exposure, more realistic flash coloring, improved photos in low light conditions using front camera" with Android 4.4.3. This is good news as we did find the X to be a few rungs down from top phones like the Galaxy S5.
Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/opini...-features-list-what-s-new#4KlHOpSc0X2HeD3e.99

Associate
Not too bothered about 4.4.3 or 4.4.4 at the moment unless it brings something major to the table.

Moto-X is doing everything i want (and more) without fuss.

Gotta be one of the best handsets i've owned.

Associate
I'm really confused s about my phone, it seems Google maps has lost the ability to do turn by turn navigation! When I choose a destination abs tap the little car icon in the bottom right I get sent to "preview" the route. The triangular navigate button is completely gone and I have no way to start voice guided turn by turn navigation!

EDIT: figured it out, it was nothing to do with the phone - turn-by-turn navigation just isn't available in Cyprus! :( It sucks cause I still get all the directions, just no voice...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom