Show Us Your Motors!

Soldato
[TW]Fox;26394594 said:
You only really get light interiors on the dark paint colours, which show swirls and marks really easily. My 530i has a black interior, too. If I was speccing a brand new one I'd go for Space Grey with Oyster interior. But I wasn't, so I couldn't.

With the deals being discussed on new F10s in this thread, did you do the numbers on a brand new one? Or does it start to fall apart when you start ticking options boxes?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
As good a deal as £32k is for a new one in a respectable spec (LCI SE 530d with Pro Nav), that is still over 50% in addition to what Fox paid. Although on paper the new car is "better value" it doesnt change the markup!

Associate
Love it - I briefly drove an early atom, whereby I discovered that I'm nowhere near brave enough to find its limits in the dry. The little screens are hilariously inadequate for anything other than minor buffeting protection too!

When i bought the Atom it was not fitted with any screens. I had the little "gun sights" fitted which make a massive difference. Without them the buffeting at speed was ridiculous.:eek:

The acceleration is savage, and its does test your commitment and skill. Exploring full throttle towards the top of the rev range in the lower gears is like trying to tame a wild animal! It is brutal. But it is also very rewarding. You just have to drive differently and be controlled, smooth and very aware of the road conditions.

Soldato
I'm clear that it's more money to buy (or at least run) a new car, but I wondered what the TCO numbers looked like in comparison when factoring in forecasted residual value of each car & the lower warranty costs of the new car.

If you specced your perfect F10, in the spec you want (535i M Sport / Space Grey / Oyster / Wheels / Adaptive Drive / HUD / whatever else), what would the likely difference in TCO be compared to your current car by the time you've added in the costs of the bodykit / wheels / warranty?

I get that the new car will still be more, but if for arguments sake the TCO difference was £6k & you were keeping the car 5 years, you'd get 5 years of perfect for £100 a month, & could decide how much perfect is worth to you...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Were M Sports too expensive then?

Disappointed you went for an SE. It doesn't look aggressive enough.

An M Sport of similar age, spec and mileage was about 5 grand more. This would have given me bodykit and different wheels. If you think that's worth an extra 5 grand then great, but I'm afraid I cant agree with you. Especially when the bumpers are on eBay at 100 quid each.

The SE with Dynamic Pack has the same interior as the M Sport, 19 inch wheels and the high gloss shadowline leaving the only other credible difference the bumpers. And suspension but I would have wanted one with M Sport suspension deletion anyway.

I'm clear that it's more money to buy (or at least run) a new car, but I wondered what the TCO numbers looked like in comparison when factoring in forecasted residual value of each car & the lower warranty costs of the new car.

If you specced your perfect F10, in the spec you want (535i M Sport / Space Grey / Oyster / Wheels / Adaptive Drive / HUD / whatever else), what would the likely difference in TCO be compared to your current car by the time you've added in the costs of the bodykit / wheels / warranty?

I get that the new car will still be more, but if for arguments sake the TCO difference was £6k & you were keeping the car 5 years, you'd get 5 years of perfect for £100 a month, & could decide how much perfect is worth to you...

It's irrelevant because I didn't want to spend 40 grand on a car or take out a PCP or something. It would only have an extra years warranty anyway as this one has two years BMW warranty.

Even the discounted ones get very expensive very fast when you start picking 'dream' options. If I was going to waste that much money on a car I would go for a used 6 series instead :p

When you think about it 'why didn't you spend twice as much on a brand new one' is a rather odd purchase criticism really :p

Soldato
Its not German or an Arial Atom but its my baby.. :)

91322192-3d61-4a51-ba6c-54f6cbca717a_zps7a48843d.jpg

Could do with taking some better pictures though. :p

Associate
Was driven as a passenger for first time in a Scooby last week, could see it would be bundle of fun having the 4wd and everything.

Don't know proper spec of it, was a 3-dr which I believe is rare and I'm sure my mate said something like an RB3?

Man of Honour
These cheap eBay BMW bumpers: are they aftermarket or nicked off other cars?

Genuine ones from breakers yards mostly, presumably salvage from damaged cars. Doubtless the prevalence of less-legitimately sourced ones will have a downward pressure on used values but it's mostly because there just isn't the big aftermarket for the F10 that there is for the E39 and the E60 yet. Give it a few years and I'm sure the parts will be more sought after.

After all, you can presumably pinch bumpers off E39/E60's too, yet they still cost rather more than those for F10's.

Back
Top Bottom