American Express

Soldato
I use Amex for everything where possible. Pretty much everywhere worth buying things from in London accepts it.

I don't see how filling in an application form, and, you know, using a piece of plastic, is "too much fussing" like some silly sod claims.

It's easy enough to tot up enough points even if you don't use it for company expenses and you can easily save yourself a few hundred quid on your holiday flights for that year.

Caporegime
I've used AMEX since I graduated. Their CS is amazing, which is primarily the reason I stick with them as I have had few instances of cloning etc. I usually change every year or so to different MBNA/American Express AMEXs to take advantage of various offers (e.g. the 20,000 pts, quidco, virgin companion vouchers etc etc)

London is fine for AMEX, but I notice when you go to other places it is poor in terms of coverage. I liked MBNA's Virgin one as they give you an AMEX/Visa for the same account.

This is a pretty good idea...

I'm planning on quitting my job and doing some traveling in about a year - have got some business trips coming up though only a couple - could easily put through a few grand on one card in a couple of months.

Is it feasible to get AMEX platinum... use for lounge access + extra points for 3 months... keep the points somehow and cancel the card/only pay pro-rata fee

then get MBNA Virgin card.. accumulate more points over 3 months..

then 6 months after I'd cancelled the AMEX platinum get an Amex gold... more points and still get a couple of lounge passes for my trip in a year or so...

I guess this is assuming there is some way of banking my points.... the Raddison/club carlson thing would be useful too - I've already accumulated some points from previous trips though some free room upgrades would be nice.

Do they not get funny when they realise you've been a customer a couple of times and are essentially trying to milk the signup offers?

Last edited:
Soldato
Just so you know you get the lounge access with the Gold card too, which is 2 free per year and additional visits/guests are £15 (which is still well worth it, I use it whenever I can).

Back
Top Bottom