Depression

Caporegime
How to tell the difference between anxiety and depression?

Stress and anxiety/depression are so intertwined it's difficult to tell, but I find taking tranquilizers to be a reliable way to tell.

I guess you can never really get rid of depression, you just learn to manage it.

I don't agree with that. Lifestyle factors are frequently a cause in the first place.

Last edited:
Associate
I've been depressed for more and less for the past 10 years. It always seems to slowly come back without me noticing or maybe I have never just got rid of it.
Currently going through some CBT and it is really good, but takes a lot of will power to work as it is down to yourself to help yourself.

It isn't always easy to notice you are depressed, but I feel the hardest part is to admit this to yourself and others as you never know how people will react to it. Most hurting is when people don't believe you or say you are just having a rough week etc. What really helps is to have people to support you through it, something I have not really had before and I feel quite lucky that I have someone to support me now and who is giving a shoulder to cry on and has the patience with me when I get annoyed easily.

It is also important to let someone at work know as then they will know you are going through difficult times. I have just had a talk and asked to not be given any overtime as I'm struggling with some of the stress. So if you feel big part of it is cos of work then talk to someone about it? They might be able to help and understand.

I hope you will find the right support for you and will find a way to beat your depression!

Soldato
Everyone deals with it in different ways and finding the cause(s) really helps.
What works for one person might not work for another.

I never realised I had depression, it was pointed out to me a few years ago but now I have my own way of managing it and feel pretty good about things even if I do miss out on some opportunities because of it. But rather that than fall back into it.

Soldato
Soldato
The point is you wouldnt hijack someone's thread who has just broken the news that they have cancer with some pathetic one liner attempt at a joke would you? Your attention seeking tendencies seem to have no bounds.

Laughter is the best medicine. Or are you saying that depressed people or cancer sufferers can't laugh ?

Soldato
I've been on antidepressants since January, Drs think I should've been put on them a very long time ago, but I never did anything about it, figured I was just in a rut, did all the things I could think to change my situation, changed jobs, left a poisonous relationship, moved house to cut commute, changed working hours etc, only to find a year later I was in the same mental state of mind and had a worrying amount of people comment on my demeanour so a friend pushed my to go see Dr.

I'm still being bounced around with different drugs, one of the local mental health teams (iTalk) have advised me I'm "too complex" for them to deal with and asked I not attend any of their open group sessions. I've had some very low points, I've made a number of mistakes in trying to deal with this and am by no means out of the woods yet, but that's the thought that keeps me going, the idea that I won't always be like this, and something HAS to work.
Drs are now concerned that there may be something underlying the depression causing paranoia, hallucinations and other such fun stuff, but I've got some pretty awesome friends who've helped, and I've cut some people out who have caused more harm than good whether intentionally or not.

Associate
I've suffered in past and fear it returning. Really I suppose it has returned, or really never went, I just learnt to cope with it. But still the fear of it coming on full and ruining how far i've got since the last time I had a major dip.

Thing is I have my dream job I never thought I would get and yet some days I still feel like I can't be bothered, come home and sit about doing nothing. Right now I feel shattered, i've been yawning since probably midday feeling lethargic yet I have an important test tomorrow as part of training for my job.

So you spend time thinking why am I feeling this way? shouldn't I be happier than I ever have been? I know this makes it worse but you can't seem to stop it.

David

Associate
Laughter is the best medicine. Or are you saying that depressed people or cancer sufferers can't laugh ?

Of course not, I've been there. What I'm saying is that people are very quick to trivialise mental health by making light of it without much thought to the sufferer. Where if this was a cancer thread people would rightly be offering support and condolences before even considering humour. Plus the glib remarks offer nothing to the discussion.

Soldato
If its not severe depression i would recommend Stephen Ilardi "We were never designed for the sedentary,indoor,socially isolated,fast-food-laden,sleep-deprived,frenzied pace of modern life."

Tedx lecture 22mins https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drv3BP0Fdi8

Full lecture 1.44mins https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HDFEbsGRlA

This,

This this this, 100000x.

This is why I sleep in a blacked out room so no light pollution. I don't eat any processed crapp, I don't drink and ESPECIALLY do not eat takeaways... I slam down tonnes of green veg, vegetables funnily enough contain seratonin

http://www.livestrong.com/article/447943-what-food-or-fruit-contains-serotonin/

Amongst tonnes of other important things. I am completely baffled and almost think people ask for it who don't eat a natural clean diet. You are playing the lottery. But i seems literally people can't help themselves, junk food is addictive I think lacking willpower is a massive problem too.

I also exercise with a weights routine 3x a week, i'm not specifically looking to get jacked and all that ********. But I lift weights for health and emotional benefits.

I find happiness is a combination of lots of small things. Ever since I started taking care of myself depression vanished.

I get some people have depression and may need pills. But tbh the doctor would have given me pills the state I was in, I turned around and said no and started taking action to fix my life. I really think pills are like a last ditch attempt after you've tried EVERYTHING else... they are just a band aid and don't fix the problem.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
I've suffered depression on and off for the past 9 years, which then ended up developing into severe anxiety. I'm a lot better now, but anxiety is slowly seeking back in, which is also getting me down a bit. It's all a massive cycle.

I'm awaiting being referred to the NHS mental health service which I've been to before but university got in the way. Having anxiety I end up cancelling stuff last minute and it's getting far too expensive for me to live with it.

You'll get better, the difficulty I have found is staying better.

Soldato
Most people suffer from some kind of depression throughout their life. It's no wonder really.

We work 5 days on, 2 days off....in those 2 days we are catching up on jobs we didn't have time for in the week. Most people get 25 days holiday a year. You book a nice holiday, but by the time you have actually managed to relax and wind down, it's time to do back to work. Add on money issues, health issues, family issues....the list goes on.

Eventually it becomes too much and the brain goes pop. I've had a couple of bad bouts, the first one was at work. The company was making redundancies and those that were left had to do more for the same money. Unfortunately for me, I was one of the senior members of the team so had all my responsibilities, plus all the grunt work from those who had left. The jobs needed doing, but that didn't leave much time for what I was actually employed to do. If anything went wrong, it was my butt on the line. I remember sitting in the car in my lunch break worrying so much.....in the end, something in my brain just said life is too short and I moved to another company and took a big pay cut.

Luckily for me, that move was the best thing I ever did as after two years I moved to another company earning 10k more than the first :cool:

The second was family issues. You know something isn't right when you get snappy and short tempered with people.

If you can find the motivation to exercise and eat well (and sometimes its a struggle when you're down in the dumps) it does help

Last edited:
Soldato
If you can find the motivation to exercise and eat well (and sometimes its a struggle when you're down in the dumps) it does help

This is the hardest part I think,

Getting out of the hole, the initial willpower will just feel like too much because eating bad food just literally makes you feel so much better. It'd a nasty cycle. I have days sometimes where I still feel terrible. And those are days I have to be so vigilant about my behaviours.

That's why I say to anyone get on anti d's but then start looking at other areas of your life and try without them.

Caporegime
This,

This this this, 100000x.

This is why I sleep in a blacked out room so no light pollution. I don't eat any processed crapp, I don't drink and ESPECIALLY do not eat takeaways... I slam down tonnes of green veg, vegetables funnily enough contain seratonin

http://www.livestrong.com/article/447943-what-food-or-fruit-contains-serotonin/

Eating serotonin does nothing, it cannot permeate the blood brain barrier.

The role of diet in psychiatric disorders is very small except for malnutrition, eating some sugary or fatty food does not cause depression.

Depression and anxiety for me. Been on meds for approx 10 years now!!

Something i only just found that helps with anxiety. Chamomile Tea! Give it a try

I'll stick to diazepam thanks. :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom