Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Underboss
Sorry to derail the thread but just bought myself a bike not a roadie yet, going to get some weight off and cardio upped before I venture into skinny tyres.

Can someone recommend a decent on board computer, would like to be able to track my miles and speed over certain routes I will be taking to work.

Caporegime
Sorry to derail the thread but just bought myself a bike not a roadie yet, going to get some weight off and cardio upped before I venture into skinny tyres.

Can someone recommend a decent on board computer, would like to be able to track my miles and speed over certain routes I will be taking to work.

You want GPS recording or just speed, distance, etc?

Underboss
Just speed and distance please Von, when I get a road bike I will upgrade to a decent gps unit. Need it to be able to take a slight pounding as will be using it on trials and road.

Soldato
What would be really good, would be if you were able to use Strava to compare different climbs. So for instance you could look at the elevation graphs, distance against height, but overlaid, so you could compare one climb against another.

Soldato
I'm pretty sold on these. Any idea if they wear as quickly as 4seasons? I'm still a bit worried about puncture protection too. Central Manchester seems to be pretty bad for cack on the roads.

Only had them on for a few hundred miles but they look good at the moment. That being said, I'm mainly riding around Perth, almost entirely on quiet country roads where I can spot and avoid potholes, stones, and general crap fairly easily. If I move back to Glasgow I'd be tempted to swap them out for 4 Seasons or a more robust Michelin offering for city riding.

On another note, Froome v Contador in the Dauphine S2 was fantastic. Repeat attacks from Froome and Contador just stuck right on his wheel for the whole climb, with *spoiler* Froome nicking it on the line. If it's a taste of what's to come in the TdF then it's looking good for exciting racing.

Last edited:
Soldato
I want a world champion colour Boris Bike. I did get a year's free cycle hire and a pretty nice looking Hiplok though!

Well done!

Do you ever go out on club rides? Recently joined KW myself :)

In other news - just been to the physio and thankfully there's no major knee issues and I should be OK for france. May need to look at some tweaks to my pedalling technique though as it sounds like I'm overloading my quads which is putting the stress on the knee

Associate
Well done!

Do you ever go out on club rides? Recently joined KW myself :)

In other news - just been to the physio and thankfully there's no major knee issues and I should be OK for france. May need to look at some tweaks to my pedalling technique though as it sounds like I'm overloading my quads which is putting the stress on the knee

Yeah I go out most weekends, either Saturday or Sunday. I was out yesterday with them.

good stuff.. got the strava log of it? :)

how fast were the riders?

http://www.strava.com/activities/150663067

There was only really 3 of us in the race after 2 laps. Highlights on Sky Sports tomorrow or Channel 4 on Saturday!

Caporegime
The pro jersey is down to £130 and stock is ok.

Still, I'm going to keep a keen eye out for the Mavic 125 ans gear. Looks awesome. And I should start wearing more Mavic gear so they accept me..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom