Not used anitivirus for about 5 years never had virus (srs)

Associate
As above and ive never had a virus what the hell is with that? i use xp and i felt antivirus slowed my pc down and gave me annoying pop ups all the time. I don't understand how ive never had a virus unless my pc is infected with loads of them and i don't know ? :eek:

Soldato
As above and ive never had a virus what the hell is with that? i use xp and i felt antivirus slowed my pc down and gave me annoying pop ups all the time. I don't understand how ive never had a virus unless my pc is infected with loads of them and i don't know ? :eek:
enjoy your free botnet membership.

I never see the logic in someone saying they have no antivirus protection and have never had a virus. Not all viruses ring alarm bells and flash something up on the screen all the time. A Key logger for example would be best loaded without you ever knowing.

Granted having an Antivirus does not make you 100% safe, but then nor does an airbag.

Permabanned
2aey5h.jpg

Soldato
can see it now 2400 infections

I recently cleaned a laptop for a friend who had A FULL version of Macaffee
(I never trusted that for an A/V)

after scanning with ESET & Malwarebtyes & BitDefender 2,000 infections of spyware malware and few worms.

& you have no protection? good luck.

you have little luck, heck you can get infected by javascript & simple images now days watch out :)

Soldato
i run commando as well and have done for years. i'm on windows 7 SP1 with windows update turned off. i'm on pay as you go 3G with a dongle and it would cost me something like 15 quid to update. sod that. :p

but i am just running an ESET online scan now. i'll post my results when done.

edit: ZOMG 8 threats found. :eek: it's actually 4 because my backup drive was scanned as well...

eset.png

2 of the files are naughty so i've blurred them but i know exactly where they came from and the code is open source so i trust it. and the other 2 are the shark007 codec installers which do prompt you to install a bunch of crap. it's fairly easy to click no thanks.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Been running this PC for 5 years with no anti-virus. Still using Vista (lol). Just did an ESET and Malwarebytes scan, came up with 1 detection: Win32/Adware.Lollipop.D. Notbad.jpg

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
AVG is a bit crap though. Avast/BitDefender are the current top picks. BD for the smallest footprint, Avast for additional features like mail scanning and so on.

I use BD because I only want a resident scanner on tap. Eset/MB etc are manually used for a 2nd opinion. I've never had an infection and my Win7 install is a release day install... Still runs like new.

Man of Honour
I've run without active anti-virus for years - I know my stuff well enough that I'd know if the system was infected by all but the most stealthy rootkit - however I do run manual scans on a regular basis.

Few caveats I wouldn't do it without:

+Script protection in the web browser
+Scanning downloads/exes from 3rd parties (to be honest I'm a little lazy if the file comes from an official source i.e. a big game publisher).
+Hardware firewall or similiar
+(Optional) sandboxed web browsing sessions
+Offline backup to quickly recover from and preserve important data

The only time I've ever been infected was a 0day exploit in IE about the time of IE6 release that IIRC did a man in the middle attack on the ad system some sites were using to inject infected ads into legit pages, no amount of antivirus, firewall, etc. or even common sense would have protected against it - though active script protection and/or a sandboxed browsing session would.

Soldato
AVG is a bit crap though. Avast/BitDefender are the current top picks. BD for the smallest footprint, Avast for additional features like mail scanning and so on.

I use BD because I only want a resident scanner on tap. Eset/MB etc are manually used for a 2nd opinion. I've never had an infection and my Win7 install is a release day install... Still runs like new.

I think Panda cloud has Bitdefender Free beat on small footprint,as to AVG and Avast they have been fine in my testing on Win8.1 over the last few months or so.

I currently use Panda Cloud and Avast on my two 8.1 PCs.

Bitdefender Free version I avoid due to gaming issues (ME3 crashing etc)when you try to run games like ME3 via Origin launcher.

Bitdefender Free lasted about three hours on my PC before I had to remove it.
I also use Malwarebytes Free version for manual backup scans now and then.

I don't know why anybody would not use an AV with Windows,there are plenty that are free,small footprint etc and no popups,its just another layer of added security which can't be a bad thing.

Linux I can understand since I don't use an AV on my Linux distros.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I don't know why anybody would not use an AV with Windows,there are plenty that are free,small footprint etc and no popups,its just another layer of added security which can't be a bad thing.

I've never found one that is entirely unobtrusive without also disabling most of the active protection any way though to be fair I've not looked in awhile.

Soldato
I've never found one that is entirely unobtrusive without also disabling most of the active protection any way though to be fair I've not looked in awhile.

I've been very happy with the new Panda Cloud 3.01 free version,you don't know its there.

Back
Top Bottom