Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
I have the latest HP BIOS, SP64420.exe and then the modded BIOS, O41100113.ROM..

I'm not sure then. I know there were 2 links in that thread to dropbox's and both had the newer modded ROM file.

Can I be cheeky and ask for a link anyway please?

I've just made up 3 keys anyway 1 mod and 2 std but just in case.

Associate
GETTING THERE!

10441965_10154339742265122_8423986330125854013_n.jpg

ESXi installed
Datastore of ~160Gb created
VM that uses all 160Gb created
WHS2011 installed and configured
Installing ForeFront now

Tomorrow-

Create a Linux (unsure which yet) VM
Find out how to share a 4Tb datastore between all my VMs and my network

Any ideas on the last one? It's for my media

Associate
It depends what you want to do, for single drives I share stuff out on single Ubuntu virtual machines with NFS. You can also do this with SMB to make your files accessible from Windows Machines.

You could also look into virtualising FreeNAS, its a great easy to use NAS distro with many plugins and file sharing features. It runs well on ESXi if setup properly.

Personally I run a mix of FreeNAS and Ubuntu VM's for file sharing in my virtual environment, most the stuff on the shared storage is HD video files so performance is usually not an issue.

Associate
It depends what you want to do, for single drives I share stuff out on single Ubuntu virtual machines with NFS. You can also do this with SMB to make your files accessible from Windows Machines.

You could also look into virtualising FreeNAS, its a great easy to use NAS distro with many plugins and file sharing features. It runs well on ESXi if setup properly.

Personally I run a mix of FreeNAS and Ubuntu VM's for file sharing in my virtual environment, most the stuff on the shared storage is HD video files so performance is usually not an issue.

Im really new to all this, I tried FreeNAS before but couldn't get my head around it. I'm a lot more comfortable in Windows.

All I want to make is a datastore comprised of my 2x 2Tb drives that I can access from my VMs and my normal desktop, as well as other network attached devices. Would allocating a new datastore to the existing WHS VM, then setting up the sharing settings for it be the best way?

Soldato
Associate
Server is getting there! ESXi up and running, Windows Home Server 2011, 2x Linux distros intalled (CentOS and Mint), sharing configured on 4TB of storage. Next step is to get the RaspberryPi configured with OpenElec and Rom Collection Browser.

2Lw1l4O.jpg

Associate
Ran through the modified BIOS upgrade on my N40 this morning and it went like a dream. Literally seconds for it to finish to C:\ prompt and then my Windows 8.1 install booted up with the NIC enabled straight away.

N54L over the weekend me thinks

purchased my N54L last week , i presume those files in the quoted text are the most recent ones that i need to enable running an SSD from the onboard sata connector?.

if so , i take it all i need to do is run SP64420.exe , rename the original rom to something it wont recognise , then replace that with the modded O41100113.ROM.

sorry if this sounds noobish , but im getting confused with all the differing links showing different files everywhere.

Soldato
purchased my N54L last week , i presume those files in the quoted text are the most recent ones that i need to enable running an SSD from the onboard sata connector?.

if so , i take it all i need to do is run SP64420.exe , rename the original rom to something it wont recognise , then replace that with the modded O41100113.ROM.

sorry if this sounds noobish , but im getting confused with all the differing links showing different files everywhere.

Yes, run the Sp64420.exe, then in the folders it creates, find the flat or USB folder, then run the .exe within that to create your USB key.

Once the USB key is created I just drag and dropped the "modified" rom over and let windows replace it.

**Make sure you create at least 1 extra USB key with the standard HP BIOS on in case you have any hiccups.***

Back
Top Bottom