So many england flags!

Soldato
I guess its different as I live in scotland but...

If I was in england and seen an england flag I'd assume its some BNP/EDL type, a shame the flag has been brought into that disrepute..

If I see a scotland flag in scotland I always assume it's a yes campaign/ SNP supporter.

Maybe I'm just a bit cynical. Its nice to see people supporting their country in the world cup!

V F

V F

Soldato
I see masses of poppy's on remembrance day, a minutes silence, excellent national coverage for days before the D-Day anniversary, loads of national events going on surrounding it..

Showing a flag or ten to support your national team is something entirely different and unrelated IMO..

The spectacular footage for endless hours not that long ago for the 70th anniversary. The fantastic Red Arrow display that came later that day.

Was so impressive watching that as they came ashore on all their military gear.

70th-anniversary-d-day-landings-20140605-154425-880.jpg

70th-anniversary-d-day-landings-20140605-144537-830.jpg

70th-anniversary-d-day-landings-20140605-144638-382.jpg

70th-anniversary-d-day-landings-20140605-150134-269.jpg

70th-anniversary-d-day-landings-20140605-150130-142.jpg

70th-anniversary-d-day-landings-20140605-114721-489.jpg

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/lightbox/...rsary-d-day-landings-20140605-152104-655.html

I guess its different as I live in scotland but...

If I was in england and seen an england flag I'd assume its some BNP/EDL type, a shame the flag has been brought into that disrepute..

If I see a scotland flag in scotland I always assume it's a yes campaign/ SNP supporter.

Maybe I'm just a bit cynical. Its nice to see people supporting their country in the world cup!

The Union Jack has no stigma with Rangers Football Club.

http://newsnetscotland.com/index.ph...5-should-the-union-flag-be-banned-in-scotland

2403528683_7e1d5b24cc_z.jpg

5422441792_0e4eba22a8_b_d.jpg

5650939666_e1203d9b35_b.jpg

71171260_4be1415350_b.jpg

8646454586_025c427324_b_d.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Havn't seen any yet, thank god for that.

Everytime I turn on the TV there seems to be something about the football... I'm trying to beat my record of how quick I can change the channel.

disclaimer: not a footie fan.

Soldato
I've noticed there are less flags/decorations about this World Cup, but I think it also reflects in general how there is less being spent on marketing of related/tie-in products this year. Usually you see very single advert on TV trying to get on the back of it, but its only really a handful currently.

I think its a combination of the fact that, while hoping we do well tonight, our chances are pretty slim this tournament, and its hard to get too excited about that. Perhaps if things go well, that will greatly change.

The other is that a lot of the games are on at unsociable hours, due to the time difference. While there are some that sit in prime time slot, the other two thirds are either when most are thinking about going to bed, or when people are likely to be leaving work.

On a personal note, I'd like to see the Union flag flown more often, it was great seeing it everywhere during the Olympics/Jubilee. The St. George's flag, regardless of whether you think it has negative connotations or not, has been made to look tacky for many of the aforementioned reasons.

Associate
I not seen a flag yet but did see a guy in a England football shirt the other day . Sadly as you can imagine some people did not click about the World cup and even some that did thought he was trying to saying something about if we should stay part of the uk or not . Poor guy got no peace and quiet for wearing it :/

I did see flags last World cup however as was in Newcastle at the time .I was kind of amaze just how many there was and how many offers Store had on about England being in World cup.

Last edited:
Soldato
I quite like the car flags.

It is a useful moron identifier that can be used to determine which vehicles to avoid on the road.

I quite like the posts in this thread.

It is a useful judgmental identifier that can be used to determine which posters to avoid on the forums.

Well, not really, but I am sure you get the point. Judging people based on whether they have a England flag on their car or not. Really? Sad times. :(

Last edited:
Associate
I went yesterday morning from Glasgow to Liverpool and saw England flags everywhere. From pubs windows to residential homes and cars.
I must admit to a little jealousy as Scotland, as per usual, never qualified.
Today however I am not so glum but I think if you lot drop Shrek and Gerrard completes more than one pass to his own player then you may yet qualify.
I thought Italy were there for the taking in the latter of the second half as they seemed to have tired quicker than the England players.

Back
Top Bottom