Mexico Holiday Jan 15

Soldato
We're thinking of going to Mexico at the beginning of Jan 15 for 2 weeks. We went to the Dom Rep last year and already been to Barbados so thought we'd try Mexico. Has anyone been recently and can recommend a hotel? Looking at all inclusive but not sure if they all are that anyway.

Soldato
Quite a while now but we stayed in the Iberostar Maya in the Rivera Maya. It's sited in a massive Iberostar complex with resorts from 3 star to 5. Have been happy with all the Iberostars I've ever stayed in and the Grand is fantastic, the food is great and the service is superb.

Associate
Come back from Mexico barely 2 weeks ago.

We stayed in the Iberostar Tucan in Playa del Carmen and it was fantastic. My first time in the Caribbean and at an all inclusive and could not fault it. Would definitely go back there!

Man of Honour
tut tut shame on you

My eldest is going to Mexico tomorrow, why are you being a prat?

mexico.jpg

Apologise anytime you want.

Last edited:
Soldato
To those that have been, whats the situation with things like Kayaking and the a la carte restaurants?

I've read mixed reviews that you have to pay a 10% 'surcharge' even though you are given 'hotel credit' which you spend whilst your there... also having buffet breakfast and desert but restricted to one main course?

Just trying to find out, fairly expensive to go there and wouldn't want to find out that there all additional charges.

Thanks

Man of Honour
Daughter is also a Mexico virgin but she just said to buy all your trips online before you go.
For instance the Chichen Itza trip above is £30 but £75 with Thompsons.
Her and her boyfriend are going on at least 5 so that is a massive saving.

Associate
To those that have been, whats the situation with things like Kayaking and the a la carte restaurants?

I've read mixed reviews that you have to pay a 10% 'surcharge' even though you are given 'hotel credit' which you spend whilst your there... also having buffet breakfast and desert but restricted to one main course?

Just trying to find out, fairly expensive to go there and wouldn't want to find out that there all additional charges.

Thanks

The hotel I've stayed at the times I've been to mexico, do the resort credits, you can use them against trips out, spa treatments and a few other things like better wines instead of house . What we were required to pay was the tax.I think it was 15% or 16% ish this time

It still works out great value, we swam with dolphins, and had a couples 80.min massage which once credits were used cost us around £60

The first time we went the tax was only 11% and we used most of our credits getting bottles of Dom Perignon with our meals. As the credits thing was new and we never really understood it.

I suppose all hotels will work differently tho.

Also you will need money for tips, probably better to take lots of 1 Dollar notes about 60p each or 20 Pesso notes which are around £1 each, I spent £200 in tips alone

Daughter is also a Mexico virgin but she just said to buy all your trips online before you go.
For instance the Chichen Itza trip above is £30 but £75 with Thompsons.
Her and her boyfriend are going on at least 5 so that is a massive saving.

As above trips are expensive if you go through your rep, Coco Bongos is £100 each for VIP bottle service, then you have things like Xcaret and Xplor which are around £100 each also

Last edited:
Associate
I think that hotel credits is hotel specific.

Nothing like that in the Iberostar. We had 4 a'la carte visits in the 10 days we were there. But after that they said we could book day by day if there were any free spots for nothing.

Dimple, tell her to swim with Whalesharks. That was a fantastic experience. One of 3 places you can do it in the world.

Man of Honour
Dimple, tell her to swim with Whalesharks. That was a fantastic experience. One of 3 places you can do it in the world.

She has booked that but she showed me something that I've asked her not to take part in.
There are loads of pictures of people standing with crocodiles which are clearly drugged up to the eyeballs.
She went at 6am so I now await Facebook photos.

Associate
we went to the excellence playa mujures, awesome hotel

they have another in riviera maya but that one is not as good

+1 for this recommendation, it's sublime, I'd go back like a shot.

One thing to watch is the departure tax when you are leaving - taken at the airport, think it's about $60 US per person and they only take cash. Make sure you have enough left, we almost didn't. Also, check with your hotel what currency they accept for tips, some insist on Pesos rather than dollars.

Soldato
I was in Mexico for a week in May. We flew over with Virgin and stayed in the Moon Palace resort. Awesome place with great service and lovely food. There was no surcharge on the food, however there was a 16% surcharge on any resort credit that we spent. We did a lot of activities including scuba diving, snorkelling, dolphin swim etc and it only cost is a couple of hundred total. Also recommend the Xplorer outdoor theme park if you have the option! Awesome place.

The departure tax is only applicable if you are on a charter package. If on a schedule flight then it's included in the ticket.

Soldato
Are you looking for a relaxing holiday or a party holiday? For the first go for somewhere like Playacar or Riveria Maya. For the latter go to Cancun.

I would personally highly recommend Dreams Riviera. We come back from there a few weeks ago and would definitely go back. Five amazing restaurants, no bookings required, all named drinks included, free mini bar in your room, free room service, lots of activities around a pool, nightly varied entertainment with theme nights (e.g. bbqs on the beach and games for the World Cup). They also have an infinity pool and two jacuzzi. Easy access to all of the main attractions, who will pick you up directly from the hotel. The staff were great too.

The highlight was definitely the food. The steak was amazing. The french restaurant was great too. It is a family resort but you hardly notice. It's not like a typical European resort with kids.

Don't fly with Thomas Cook! Prices are slightly higher than Virgin but the plane has close to no entertainment and you have to pay a £50 per person exit charge at the airport, which is included with Virgin's ticket price.

She has booked that but she showed me something that I've asked her not to take part in.
There are loads of pictures of people standing with crocodiles which are clearly drugged up to the eyeballs.
She went at 6am so I now await Facebook photos.

Drugs are openly offered by club staff in the toilets. Like the toilet bloke over here but instead of chewing gum and deodorant it's a tapped nose. I was pretty surprised an official Thomas Cook tour went to places which done that. She should definitely check out Coco Bongo though. Better than any club in Vegas!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom