Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Argghhghgh!!! HAYFEVER!!! GRRRR!!!!

Rode to work this morning and my nose was streaming the whole way and my eyes are now ridiculously bloodshot! Never been this bad before.

I hate pollen.

Yep, I've been suffering big time this year. It's funny I don't notice the symptoms at all whilst riding, but as soon as I stop my eyes sting like mad. I decided not to ride over the weekend. It's annoying as I waited all Winter for the nice weather to hit.

I finally managed to drag the old man out for a bike ride last night. He goes to the gym twice a week, but I've been trying to convert him to road cycling. To be honest, I could have jogged quicker, and we only covered 6 miles. But it was nice to have some company for once. Unfortunately, towards the end he commented on how he prefers the exercise bike at the gym. Doesn't look like I've successfully converted him...........yet

Soldato
Yep, I've been suffering big time this year. It's funny I don't notice the symptoms at all whilst riding, but as soon as I stop my eyes sting like mad. I decided not to ride over the weekend. It's annoying as I waited all Winter for the nice weather to hit.

Ah....I notice exactly the same! I don't notice too many symptoms like my eyes or sneezing whilst out riding but as soon as I get home it all starts kicking off! Weird!

Noticed it a bit last night though, about half way round I started to feel I couldn't breathe as easily when I got to High Legh, but it soon passed and I felt alright for the rest of the ride.

This year feels much worse than last year for some reason.

Soldato
Same! I don't notice the symptoms while riding. Its when I get in to the shower after when my eyes start crying!! It has not been as bad for me this year though. I find some years I suffer a lot more than others.

Soldato
Well that was a fail.

All my stuff turned up from wiggle and Merlin.

Firstly I thought the valve extenders came in pairs, they don't they are sold individually.

Secondly, Zipp valve extenders require a quick release chuck pump head. The standard threaded Lezyne ones don't fit.

The only valve extenders I could get locally are 70mm. I only need 35mm so they look daft. I now have 3 spare valve extenders....

Bike shop in the next town has some 40mm so going to pick those up tomorrow hopefully.

Got the tyres stretching now on a set of clincher rims.

Put one layer of glue on the wheels, pretty simple but the continental carbon glue dries quick, could only do 1/10th of the rim at a time.

Soldato
Scary stuff today, I can now buckle my belt one hole further along!

Seem to be losing the stomach flab! Just need to turn my leg flab into muscle now! I'm not especially heavy in the first place though, 5'11'' at 73 kg.

Soldato
Tubs sound like hassle!

They go on and off the rim easier than clinchers.

The gluing so far has been pretty simple, put the wheels on the bike with the bike in the stand and rotate, glue one bit, repeat.

The only bit I am worried about is mounting and centring the tyre when it's all glued but they seemed to self centre quite well with only minor adjustment required when I dry fitted.

Caporegime
Scary stuff today, I can now buckle my belt one hole further along!

Seem to be losing the stomach flab! Just need to turn my leg flab into muscle now! I'm not especially heavy in the first place though, 5'11'' at 73 kg.

Yeah, I'm buckling my belt further along, and getting thinner across the waist, albeit slowly! There's still a lot of fat to lose from there.

I'm 73Kg at 5'7" by comparison! The curse of a big torso.

Man of Honour
How do you do that?! I used to have Endomondo linked but as others have found that reads about 40% higher (for me at least) than Strava.

Garmin connect gives pretty pie tastic calorie burns as well reading about the same as Endomondo.

Warning - don't actually do this.

I just realised that although the activities will upload automatically MFP doesn't use Strava's kcal estimate. :rolleyes:

Utterly pointless.

Associate
Soldato
Once I nailed the magnet position I have had no problems with my cadence sensor for my Garmin 810 at all.

I would agree with earlier posts though in that Garmin devices in general are MASSIVELY over priced, especially since you can get mobile phones that have more technology in them and can do more than be "just a satnav" for half the price (by that, I am not saying use a mobile phone instead, merely trying to put some comparison to other similar electronic devices/technology). They are not great value for money, not really.

Last edited:
Soldato
The old style sucked though. I was forever adjusting the sodding magnets. New ones have built in accelerometers, and are awesome in comparison, literally just throw one onto the pedal crank, and another on one of the wheel hubs. Had mine for a month now, no adjusting required so far :)

Hmm it does sound like less hassle I suppose, but I have 3 GSC-10s and I've never had an issue with any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom