B2 bombers deployed in UK

Soldato
isnt the point of the b2 that its got ridiculous range? i don't know how far it can actually fly but i'd be willing to wager that the ability to fly to russia and back without landing was pretty high on the designers checklist. in which case its kind of a lost cause basing them here, unless its just barack obama willy nuke waving at putin

Soldato
It's hard to believe the Nighthawk is now obsolete and retired. If I remember correctly, the USAF is engaged with a replacement programme for the B2 as well.

1280px-American_Flag_F-117_Nighthawks_zps24cc395d.jpg

Soldato
OP
isnt the point of the b2 that its got ridiculous range? i don't know how far it can actually fly but i'd be willing to wager that the ability to fly to russia and back without landing was pretty high on the designers checklist. in which case its kind of a lost cause basing them here, unless its just barack obama willy nuke waving at putin
A B2's range is 6,000 nautical miles without re-fueling or 10,000 with.
This is about a show of force. The US flexing their military might. It doesn't have anything to do with range.

Soldato
A B2's range is 6,000 nautical miles without re-fueling or 10,000 with.
This is about a show of force. The US flexing their military might. It doesn't have anything to do with range.

so i was on the right lines, although both putin and obama likely well know each others capabilities its more a reminder. obama's too smart to hit the button anyway and i doubt putin is entirely crazy enough to do it. the world is safe for now.

Man of Honour
so i was on the right lines, although both putin and obama likely well know each others capabilities its more a reminder. obama's too smart to hit the button anyway and i doubt putin is entirely crazy enough to do it. the world is safe for now.

We are still a long way from a situation where resource requirements/availability, economy or general marginalisation forces a major confrontation however I don't think we are as far from the potential for things kicking off in a more major way as some people would like to think - I see many parallels and (denial of) in the same way as happened before previous major/world wars. It would be nice if for once we could transcend our own stupidity and resolve things in a constructive way.

Man of Honour
Great refuelling video:

A B-2 Spirit from Whiteman Air Force Base, Mo., performed air refueling with a KC-135 Stratotanker from RAF Mildenhall, England June 11, 2014, over Cornwall, England. Whiteman AFB is participating in familiarization training operations while deployed to RAF Fairford.

Back
Top Bottom