*** Nexus 5 THE Official Thread ***

Soldato
Gulp!!! will it be a like for like restore, I have horrid memories of Apple restore where everything is a mess and I spent hours putting it all back :)

It's annoying, but it's completely unavoiable no matter which root tool you use. To root you must unlock the bootloader first, which will always wipe the phone. Security reasons apparently, but I guess it makes sense.

As for backups, I've never really bothered to backup and restore it like that. I just make sure I've copied all my files/photos/documents onto the computer, and then wipe. It only takes about half an hour to re-install the apps and set them up, then it's just a case of copying the files back to the phone. Nice and easy.

Soldato
As for backups, I've never really bothered to backup and restore it like that. I just make sure I've copied all my files/photos/documents onto the computer, and then wipe. It only takes about half an hour to re-install the apps and set them up, then it's just a case of copying the files back to the phone. Nice and easy.

You shouldn't need to copy media, as wiping or rooting shouldn't do anything with it (the wipe will just be system data/cache/etc), but of course it's nice to have the peace of mind of a regular copy of your data on a computer in case you lose or break the phone or it stops working for whatever reason.

Soldato
You shouldn't need to copy media, as wiping or rooting shouldn't do anything with it (the wipe will just be system data/cache/etc), but of course it's nice to have the peace of mind of a regular copy of your data on a computer in case you lose or break the phone or it stops working for whatever reason.

Famous last words :D

But I can manually copy photos and music off, photos are my main concern and they backup to Google straight away so I should be too worried in all honesty

Soldato
Famous last words :D

But I can manually copy photos and music off, photos are my main concern and they backup to Google straight away so I should be too worried in all honesty

Back up everything, when you unlock your bootloader it wipes everything on the device including all media from my past experience, its not just a wipe or root but the actual bootloader unlock that wipes your device clean, when you normally wipe your phone it is just your apps and system that is cleaned and media is left intact.

Soldato
Back up everything, when you unlock your bootloader it wipes everything on the device including all media from my past experience, its not just a wipe or root but the actual bootloader unlock that wipes your device clean, when you normally wipe your phone it is just your apps and system that is cleaned and media is left intact.

Can anyone confirm if the link tool does a good job or backing up and restoring back to "as was"

Thanks

Soldato
What is the link tool?

I typically use Titanium backup Pro, but you need root for that and it restores everything as is san my desktop wallpaper, and text messages.

For apps I believe people have had good success with Helium, you don't need to be rooted.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom