Just dropped a deposit on some M Power - Trackday Project Car

OcUK Staff
OP
CSL Airbox and lightweight / new pulleys, am also going to remove viscous fan too as its very heavy and saps engine power and on track probably hinders cooling. Shall leave the AC fan in place which does most the cooling and if I have any issues shall just get an electric fan for the radiator. :)

box1.jpg~original

pully.jpg~original

Car shall be having the full boot floor welding and resin re-inforcement done in September at Mprove. :)
Dropped it off for resin re-inforcement treatment at weekend but upon investigation there is a 15mm crack in the boot floor where the axle carrier is. :(
So its going to cost more, but as I know the owner its a very fair price and it will add more in re-sale value for any prospective buyers knowing the boot floor has being welded/resin re-inforced, but as its mates rates, has to wait until September, perfectly safe to drive, afterall its taken 12 years to crack 15mm.

P.S. Red circle on air box is where I shall re-locate the IAT too to prevent heatsoak, this should yield best performance and is where Evolve advice I locate it. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

For those who have not heard a CSL, check out this video for the sound difference

Hopefully I will have something very similar. :D

OcUK Staff
OP
You'd not be allowed back if you didn't make a video of this!!!! ;)

When is your next track day to check out the performance difference?

20BHP will make no difference on track. :)

Next outing probably end of July, gonna take it easy on track usage until boot floor is repaired, then I shall be doing a lot and moving over to slicks, they will give me 3-4s reduction if I am brave enough to believe in them. ;)

OcUK Staff
OP
so.....when you supercharging yours :p

Won't be, I don't like the drive characteristics, turns them into a track car only as on the road you loose 1st, 2nd and most of 3rd gear as they will simply spin the wheels even in the dry, unless its a full weight M3.

Yes as a track car it works, for example my mate at Spa was passing the 458 Challenge cars, which were well driven too, think he was around 2:40 region at Spa, insanely fast, his M3 is 1420kg and 480-550BHP, no idea on exact figure as he aint interested, he just drives it, but that is 30s a lap faster than what Chris was doing in his 400+ coil over and brake upgraded EVO. :D
He also drove the car off the speedo, about 185mph GPS indicated so charged they are flippin quick indeed, though an Enzo pulled 211mph GPS on the way down as well. :D

Plus it cost 7k area fully fitted and it won't add 7k in value and on the road it would spoil the car and I do enjoy driving it on the road, its nearly as much fun as the 911 now its more or less finished.

Associate
20BHP will make no difference on track. :)

Next outing probably end of July, gonna take it easy on track usage until boot floor is repaired, then I shall be doing a lot and moving over to slicks, they will give me 3-4s reduction if I am brave enough to believe in them. ;)

sorry to drop this in your thread but i didnt know where else to put it.

When we all had the conversation about donnington lap times in regards to elises I spoke to a guy who races them and develops parts for them and he told me this

'Consider I have got round donington back in 1999 in a pretty standard S1 (Sport 190 with ~175hp) with no aero whatsoever in a 1:19 on road tyres (and I do mean road tyres not semi-slicks), I do not consider 1:17 a particularly hard target for TA with almost zero regs to stick to'

'Last time i did donington was about 2 weeks ago, in an Exige with ~230hp, a smallish rear wing, on kuhmo v70's, no splitter, etc etc, just a normal looking Exige.

It was easy to do sub 16's, like i said before, that's a soft target'

anyway your car is looking great, so with slicks you should be pretty fast! if i can get the rear toe link setup finished I might join you at donnington as I really need to get mine on track, be good to compare :)

OcUK Staff
OP
sorry to drop this in your thread but i didnt know where else to put it.

When we all had the conversation about donnington lap times in regards to elises I spoke to a guy who races them and develops parts for them and he told me this

'Consider I have got round donington back in 1999 in a pretty standard S1 (Sport 190 with ~175hp) with no aero whatsoever in a 1:19 on road tyres (and I do mean road tyres not semi-slicks), I do not consider 1:17 a particularly hard target for TA with almost zero regs to stick to'

'Last time i did donington was about 2 weeks ago, in an Exige with ~230hp, a smallish rear wing, on kuhmo v70's, no splitter, etc etc, just a normal looking Exige.

It was easy to do sub 16's, like i said before, that's a soft target'

anyway your car is looking great, so with slicks you should be pretty fast! if i can get the rear toe link setup finished I might join you at donnington as I really need to get mine on track, be good to compare :)

Someone who races them says it all. A race driver can easily be a good 10s a lap faster.

My mate is lapping 1:15's at Donnington in his super charged M3 on slicks, he is just a guy who does track days, never raced.

Let's see what time you can do, I could hand my car as it is now to race a driver on cup tyres and it would do 1:17 lap, on slicks even faster, driver is the biggest factor in any car.

My mate thegoose can pilot a rental Golf GTD in sub 1:28, he is a race driver in Porsche 944 cup series with several wins.

If you manage sub 1:25 on your first outing you will be doing well, anything under 1:20 seriously so.

Remember the E46 M3 Simpsons have is doing sub 1:10 I believe, again race driver in a race car.

Last edited:
Associate
oh yes, this wasnt me saying im going to be going stupidy fast straight away, it was more to do with the underlying potential in the car we spoke about

Ill just be happy to get a day under my belt with nothing breaking and being able to make setup improvement throughout the day

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

Viscous fan removed
Under drive and new idler / tensioner pulleys fitted
CSL air box fitted.

This is how I feel
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

In more detail
The throttle and response is night and day, simply wow
The sound both inside and outside the car, incredible
Zero hesitations low down and no drivability issues, relocating the air temp sensor seems to work well as in the stock position it will beak soak
Car does seem more powerful as well, just seems to accelerate quicker and picks up much better, feels like a true race car engine.

again

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

OcUK Staff
OP
I'm shocked that you are surprised by this considering you used to own a CSL

That was nearly ten years ago, hard to remember how good the CSL truly was and my car is approx. 100kg lighter and has more power than the CSL had, making it even more :D :D :D

Some photos:-

Under Drive and new tensioner/idler pulleys
88DE2C22-5087-4BB9-87C5-3A49FA33EEA9-1163-000003A5FB2DAFEB_zpsc2d11ef0.jpg~original

Old air box removed, very clean which is good to see!
D40C5471-A6F6-40E8-9D49-CE47ACE23B38-1163-000003A600482F7D_zps82adff4e.jpg~original

Air box installed
21645BDE-EFDF-4920-BEF2-B99FB3BE178E-1163-000003A5FDC7F7F7_zps0d2f69cd.jpg~original

Because Race Car, Cherry Coke oil catch can!
3A80155A-9A7B-45B0-9DEF-70B0B08025AF-1163-000003A602936A76_zpsc908ec08.jpg~original

Gonna get new fixings for top of air box so I can run the start breather and vacuum lines for o.e. look install and might get a proper catch can for the crank case breather.

Back
Top Bottom