*** Xperia Z2 Official Thread ***

Associate
I managed to kill my z2 whilst on holiday last week. I forgot it was in my pocket when i went for a swim. Got out of the pool after about 5 mins and felt it there. Checked it over and the covers were still shut, no problem I thought.

Fast forward half an hour and both the camera lenses are fogged up, so leave it to try for a bit inside and the rear camera lens has water spots on it. So i stuck it in a bag of rice with all the ports open for 2 days.

Now the screen flickers when in use, rear camera doesn't work and the device gets insanely hot and then turns off after about 15 mins.

Got sent off to the sony repair centre yesterday so we'll see whether or not its repairable, I don't know what i'm going to do if they say that the covers weren't closed, as i have no way to prove they were.

Associate
Don't have any issues what-so-ever with my display and I got mines from Three on the 30th of April.
I have just rooted my phone which was a breeze. Now I need to go and find that thread on here with the best apps when rooted, then start removing the bloatware off of the phone.

Soldato
Don't have any issues what-so-ever with my display and I got mines from Three on the 30th of April.
I have just rooted my phone which was a breeze. Now I need to go and find that thread on here with the best apps when rooted, then start removing the bloatware off of the phone.

Did you use the easy root tool posted on XDA?

Associate
Did you use the easy root tool posted on XDA?

I used DoomLords originally. I have or should I say, I had a 3 branded handset.

I have just flashed it to the latest UK Generic .402 firmware and re-rooted it using EasyRoot.

Doomlords was easy requiring you to crash the service menu but EasyRoot is as easy as you can possibly get.

j0s

j0s

Associate
usb cable
mains charger (you use the usb cable in it, it's not a fixed one)
Earphones
Screen protector? (might have been thrown in my box in the shop)

Erm. That's it?

Cheers m8, was the headphones the noise cancelling ones? Couple of reviews I have seen had standard ones

Associate
I managed to kill my z2 whilst on holiday last week. I forgot it was in my pocket when i went for a swim. Got out of the pool after about 5 mins and felt it there. Checked it over and the covers were still shut, no problem I thought.

Fast forward half an hour and both the camera lenses are fogged up, so leave it to try for a bit inside and the rear camera lens has water spots on it. So i stuck it in a bag of rice with all the ports open for 2 days.

Now the screen flickers when in use, rear camera doesn't work and the device gets insanely hot and then turns off after about 15 mins.

Got sent off to the sony repair centre yesterday so we'll see whether or not its repairable, I don't know what i'm going to do if they say that the covers weren't closed, as i have no way to prove they were.

I am currently on holiday and the exact same issue has happened

The screen is completely dead however the phone vibrates and the indicator light flashes. The ports were closed however both front and back camera lenses have condensation. I believe the water entered via the magnetic charging connector as it moves slightly inwards when the charger is connected or you touch it with your finger. A few people on XDA forums have had the magnetic charger port come out completely so it's definately a weak area and would cause the water damage.

Waiting to get back to the UK to raise a support request with Three/Sony as it's on a 24 month warranty. They should be able to carry out a water test to confirm how the water entered.

I guess these devices can never be truly waterproof :(

Soldato
I am currently on holiday and the exact same issue has happened

The screen is completely dead however the phone vibrates and the indicator light flashes. The ports were closed however both front and back camera lenses have condensation. I believe the water entered via the magnetic charging connector as it moves slightly inwards when the charger is connected or you touch it with your finger. A few people on XDA forums have had the magnetic charger port come out completely so it's definately a weak area and would cause the water damage.

Waiting to get back to the UK to raise a support request with Three/Sony as it's on a 24 month warranty. They should be able to carry out a water test to confirm how the water entered.

I guess these devices can never be truly waterproof :(

How long was it submerged in water for?

This is one of the reasons i've never tested it out on mine. I like to think of the feature as more of a safeguard in the unlikely event that i do come in contact with some water. It's not like you can do a great deal with it underwater anyway.

I quite like the look of that case as well, unfortunately, no hole for the magnetic port though :(, i've cut a hole in a cheap one in the meantime.

When this phone was first released, there were "issues" with the display. Are these "issues" still around today?

The issues talked about with the display were the digitiser grid. This is visible on all devices, but is only noticeable in bright sun-light at an abnormal viewing angle. Some on here have said they can see it indoors, personally I cannot. The screen is of very good quality, it won't disappoint you.

Man of Honour
^^ Thats always how I've considered it on my Z tablet a bit of extra robustness/safeguard not as something thats supposed to be functional when submerged or extremely damp environments (which it isn't).

Back
Top Bottom