Poll: Is Windows 8.1 worth the upgrade over 7?

Windows 8.1 or Windows 7?

• Win 8.1 is best

Votes: 76 63.9%
  • Win 7 as I'm old school

Votes: 43 36.1%

• Total voters
Caporegime
If you have a 7 license then save your money if your usage will be like a traditional desktop rather than big screen sofa type stuff.

AMG

AMG

Soldato
Win 8.1 all the way.

I don't miss Windows 7 in anyway, althrough I still run it on my Laptop.

Its got some refinements that I do miss while using win 7.

Soldato
I say go Windows 8.1 but look at Start8 or Classic Shell to make it behave more like Windows 7...a proper desktop OS.

No point in staying in the past.

Soldato
Objectively yes it is worth it. It comes nowhere near to being a 'waste of money'.

Subjectively is another matter, since it's impossible to quantify how much of a bug bear new ways of doing things may or may not be.

Although even having said that, you still have a fall-back with third party tweaks.

Man of Honour
OP
If you are happy with Windows 7 then stick with it unless you are playing games, upgrade to Windows 8.1.

Well I will be playing games quite a lot, I was under the impression any gaming improvements over 7 are very, very minor, though?

I do like Windows 7 though and I don't need the Metro stuff on my main computer, so it'll no doubt annoy me. :p

I think I'll give the trial version (or similar) a try and see how it goes.

Associate
Install StartIsBack.

I had that on, that wasn't my problem with it. Got fed up with the permissions system when I was restoring backups. UAC never being fully off etc. And the first couple of times it was installed it stopped working after a 4 days (must have been a bad update)

Soldato
Yes, give it a try and see if you like. After using now for couple months I couldn't go back to 7
Everything is just so much quicker once you understand how the OS works.
Setting up the start menu how I like is superb.

Like I said above they no point anyone, really listen to anyone here apart from give it a try. 30 day trial should be more than enough.

Man of Honour
OP
I've been running it for a few hours now and it seems nice (as well as strange), need to make a fair few tweaks though still.

Man of Honour
OP
I have it all set up properly now so I can use it similarly to Windows 7 (with the exception of the start menu; which I can replace but I'll try and get used to it for now). The touchscreen style is a bit weird and doesn't really sit right, but you can ignore most of it and it's not exactly a problem.

It seems good, not sure it's worth paying lots of money to upgrade from 7 just at the moment, but I think I'll go for it. Might as well change over now!

For a new PC, install Windows 8.1 (with the Update 1 if you can find an ISO). You can always install tools like StartisBack or Classic Shell if you want the Start menu back (which you probably will).

If you have a free Windows 7 license knocking around however and haven't bought Windows 8 yet, you might as well install Windows 7.

Soldato
I have it all set up properly now so I can use it similarly to Windows 7 (with the exception of the start menu; which I can replace but I'll try and get used to it for now). The touchscreen style is a bit weird and doesn't really sit right, but you can ignore most of it and it's not exactly a problem.

It seems good, not sure it's worth paying lots of money to upgrade from 7 just at the moment, but I think I'll go for it. Might as well change over now!

This. But I decided to go back using the Start Button full time. I never ever use Metro. I just don't like the interface. I can see why people would like it and also why people won't. Call me a Luddite but I want my desktop PC to be a ... desktop.

But with Win 8.1 now everything seems smooth, snappy and stylish. Looks like I'm leaving my beloved Win 7 behind for good.

Soldato

Don't forget the right click on start button(ie left bottom corner) for famous Win+X menu,you get a lot of options in that ,

Power_Options_Windows_8_1_Win_X_Menu.png

Associate
I talked myself into liking W8. and 8.1, but having issues with re installing it, since the upgrade route from 7 does not seem to offer a full version that allows you to refresh w8 if things go wrong, and wont accept your legitimate W8 keys, and no support to fix it, even if you have a receipt. "computer says no" and support tech staff cant do more than what you can do yourself at home, iv gone back to w7. and no route to get windows 8 back as its all automated so iv lost me £25 cause i cant get no one to sort it out. Back to W7 first the look felt like going backwards, but actually now w7 feels like an upgrade and everything works hassle free again.
For me Windows 8.1 would be my choice as is newer, but only a disk version. I will never do an online upgrade route again with microsoft. With this machine now ill stick with 7, and the next time i buy a new MB n CPU ild get 8.1 on a disk

Soldato
I talked myself into liking W8. and 8.1, but having issues with re installing it, since the upgrade route from 7 does not seem to offer a full version that allows you to refresh w8 if things go wrong, and wont accept your legitimate W8 keys, and no support to fix it, even if you have a receipt. "computer says no" and support tech staff cant do more than what you can do yourself at home, iv gone back to w7. and no route to get windows 8 back as its all automated so iv lost me £25 cause i cant get no one to sort it out. Back to W7 first the look felt like going backwards, but actually now w7 feels like an upgrade and everything works hassle free again.
For me Windows 8.1 would be my choice as is newer, but only a disk version. I will never do an online upgrade route again with microsoft. With this machine now ill stick with 7, and the next time i buy a new MB n CPU ild get 8.1 on a disk

Guide " How to Perform a Clean Install of Windows 8.1 With a Windows 8 Key" here http://www.howtogeek.com/187525/how-to-perform-a-clean-install-of-windows-8.1-with-a-windows-8-key/

Man of Honour
OP
Well, after a good few solid days with 8.1 I really like it. Somewhat questionable start menu aside (which is easily fixed anyway), it seems better optimised within games, and a more fluid OS overall.

Impressed. Can finally leave Windows 7 behind. :(

Back
Top Bottom