Have you been to a school reunion?

Caporegime
Facebook has shown me to be on average looking 5 years younger than my secondary schoolmates. Woohoo!

EDIT - What was weirder is seeing my first gf in local SA tv show spotlight about her hat making business. I don't remember her sound so South African when we were together, but that's probably just me poshing up so much over the past 12 years. :D

Last edited:
Associate
I have been invited to a few but never went I hated school any how and most of the people I went to school with it was full of Flintstone printed jean wearing chavs and I was a music and geek who was in the not in crowd

Soldato
I was invited to our 20 year one a few years ago ... fortunately I live far enough away that I have an excuse not to go. I didn't like most of my time there and have no real urge to go back. I do have several as acquaintances on facebook but I can't say I'm that interested.

I do find it quite amusing that someone I was at school with from 4-16 down in Hampshire now lives in the north west married to someone who was the university housemate of someone I now work with in Nottingham. Small world ....

Soldato
Never been to one and don't think I would. Although I suppose it's only natural to have some curiosity to how people have turned out and ended up doing with their lives, I didn't like school then and don't think much will have changed... I don't suppose I'd be missed if I didn't go anyway :p

I do wish I made more of an effort to keep in touch with a few people but it's been so long now I guess it's just confined to the past now.

Associate
Isn't it pretty much known that reunions are often the 10th Circle of Hell:eek: (Dante just didn't acknowledge it:D)

Sure it all starts with fun and excitement, then the drink starts flowing and before you know it you've got a bunch of rowdy Demons on your hands and you remember why you've forgotten most of your fellow alumni:D

Here's possible evidence:eek:

:p:D

(tried to find the clip of the lunch lady saying 'Bon Appetite Honey' (or similar) but had no luck:( funny movie if you haven't seen it:D)

Soldato
I went to our 20 year school reunion a few weeks ago and it was a good night. About 30-35 people turned up (out of a year of about 160) but it was probably just about the right number before the night would end up in separate groups.

I was glad that they chose a quiet town with a few pubs so that people could actually talk rather than go on a big night out. For me, it would never get off the ground trying to talk to someone after 20 years by shouting in each other's ear. I was surprised how easy it was to talk to people after so long.

Yeah, good night. I would go to the next one. It's only a night out isn't it?

Man of Honour
I'd love to go to mine... see how the old lot are doing. I keep tabs with most of them on facebook, but we haven't spoken for years. I'm still in regular contact with my 4 best buddies from school.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
No, I haven't nor would I go. I wouldn't **** on most of them if they were on fire. The few I do care about, I've remained in contact with anyway.

Caporegime
I think it could be quite interesting to see what happened to everyone... the fattest kid in my year made a point of adding absolutely everyone on facebook as it seems he'd undergone a big lifestyle change and is in really good shape now.

On the other hand I bumped into the disruptive/bully/hard kid from our year about a decade ago in the local nightclub - surprisingly enough he wasn't doing well and was apparently laboring on a building site. I'd just got back from a tour of Iraq and suggested he perhaps consider joining up... not sure if he ever did.

I'm still in contact with my group of friends - don't see them as often as I'd like but have been to a few weddings, stag dos etc... Its good though as despite growing up etc.. people, relationships don't tend to fundamentally change much - you get together for drinks with a group you used to hang out with as a teenager and it soon turns quite silly rather rapidly.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I was invited a couple of years ago so keep in mind we would all be around 54 years of age and this would be the first time since the age of 16.
I got to a very busy pub full of middle aged men (it was an all boys school) and didn't recognise anybody so I started to walk out and then I was spotted.
I spent the next couple of hours with people I had no clue who they were listening to how well they've done in life and everybody I spoke to seemed to add another zero on to their pay scale.
I won't bother again.

Soldato
Never. School classmates were always idiots; college friends turned sour; uni fellow students gone our own separate ways. The only people from my past whom I maintain contact with, I already do over FB (and there's only about 2-3!).

Some may frown upon it, but I find it quite therapeutic to move on and leave the past behind.
If you're only after catching up, then a quick LinkedIn/Facebook search can tell you all you need, if you were *that* bothered in the first place.

This pretty much

Did the token hunt all ya school friends down a few years back and 99% are miserable ignorant ****'*

And no, I wasn't invited to my 10 year school reunion, I'm actually glad tbh, Won't bother with any future ones either.

Caporegime
Yeah my 10 year one was very similar, so many people wanting to talk pay scales. Weirdly people were settling in to the same cliques they were in at school. About 200+ from a 250 year attended. I have not bothered with any of the others and just politely turn down the invites. I don't get why some people can't just move on from the 5 or so years they had with people at secondary school, who they never bothered to keep in touch with. With most all you have in common is that 5 year spell.

The only remotely interesting thing was all the really hot girls at 16 were shot and lots of the girls that no one took any notice of were the hot ones in their late 20's/30's.

Back
Top Bottom