New phone time, M8, G3 or wait?

Soldato
I can upgrade my phone on July 1st and not sure what to go for.

I'm currently using a Galaxy Nexus and while it's doing it's job I really want an upgrade. I was originally tempted by the M8, but now I'm not sure whether to get the LG G3 or just wait for a while and see what else is coming out.

I thought about the S5, but I don't like the physical button on the front.

Soldato
Personally I would go with the M8 for the following reasons:

• Even thou the G3 has 1440p display it has a lot of draws backs. It can't maintain high brightness due to heat, it burns through battery much faster, the overall panel quality suffers, and its less then ideal in sunlight
  • M8 is just a beautiful device and nothing really comes close in terms of build
  • Battery life so far seems to be better on the M8, some sites that have tested the G3 and its down right awful.
  • G3 really needs the S805 for the graphics power and I feel the screen was rushed

The biggest advantage for the G3 is the camera which so far seems awesome, but I would take Sense over LG skin, the HTC M8 can be flashed to a GPE device aswell which is another plus for me.

Soldato
OP
Coming from a Galaxy Nexus and before that a Desire, I'm not that fussed about the camera, as long as it is better than I currently have then I'll be happy.

Have to say, I've been leaning more and more to the M8, but wasn't 100% yet.

Soldato
I got an M8 last week, it was between that, S5 and G3..

I was tempted to wait for the G3 but didn't want to wait only to decide the battery wasn't up to it, also heard other potential issues with screen suggesting corners were cut in the name of having more pixels, so went with M8, happy with my choice.

Arguably the camera is not quite as good as it's contemporaries in some respects but it seems notably better than my galaxy S3 so I don't really care as I'm more of a snap shooter than a budding photographer, and its fast when opening the app, auto focusing and snapping away with minimal delay.

I also find the speakers are a bit surplus to requirement, but if you value sound its probably the best.

The big things for me, it looks and feels good, battery life seems good, screen is great, and the HTC sense is also great (and feels fast).

Soldato
The g3 does look great, but the build, os skin, screen quality and battery swung it to the m8 for me, screens on phones are a lot more than just pixel count, especially when everything is 1080 or higher.

I was umming and arring and I think it really comes down to what the individual finds more desirable, I did some research but the guy I spoke to in the phone shop got it right, he basically said you can't really go wrong, it's just preference.

One thing I would say is hold the phone physicaly before deciding.

Last edited:
Soldato
The g3 does look great, but the build, os skin, screen quality and battery swung it to the m8 for me, screens on phones are a lot more than just pixel count, especially when everything is 1080 or higher.

I was umming and arring and I think it really comes down to what the individual finds more desirable, I did some research but the guy I spoke to in the phone shop got it right, he basically said you can't really go wrong, it's just preference.

The thing I like best about the G3 is the thin bezel screen, its 0.4 inches bigger than the M8 yet overall size of the device is smaller. To be honest I would have prefered it if it was 1080p instead of 2k.

Also like how customisable the OS is, it almost feels like a custom Rom. Not a fan of the pastel colourway but hopefully I can changed that with a custom Rom or with a Xposed module.

And audio quality is top notch, which is big plus as I listen to a lot of music.
The LG G3 results in the first part of our audio quality test are nothing short of amazing. The smartphone produced the best numbers we've ever seen including a perfect -100 on the stereo crosstalk score.
http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g3-review-1086p7.php

But in the end its which OS and handset you like the look of. For me, I really don't like Sense or Touchwiz.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm not getting anything
First I was set on the z2
But it's too big for its screen size and it doesn't look comfy

Then I really wanted the g3
But it's screen put me off.. Can't max out brightness too long, poor contrast ratios.
Why.. LG going for the ppi figure! Damn marketing!

Never wanted the s5.too Damn ugly
Never wanted the M8 due to personal choice

Then I got the Kitkat update on my current phone
And decided no point upgrading for something that is practically worse than my current phone
I have basically saved 400 pounds if I keep this 2 yrs

Soldato
I'm not getting anything

But it's screen put me off.. Can't max out brightness too long, poor contrast ratios.

And decided no point upgrading for something that is practically worse than my current phone

HTC where really close to having the best Android phone for me but they just ****ed up. Firstly there is no need for 90% metal, no one gives a flying **** about that, instead I think they should have kept the M7 design and focused on the camera, which is the same module with better software AFAIK :(. That bezel also doesn't fly.

Soldato
I'm not getting anything

That is probably the right call. I don't need to change either as my HTC one M7 is awesome, got the latest 4.4.4 Rom and its flawless. But I have the itch and it must be scratched.

Back
Top Bottom