Goodwood Festival of speed

Associate
whos going?
im going for the first time this year wanted to go for soooo long but never found the time.

for people who have been before,whats parking like? im thinking of taking the motorbike but i dont want to carry all the gear round is there any wer to ditch it all?
how much money should i take and what should i do / expect to see their?

thanks in advanced

Caporegime
Its insanely busy. I went a couple of years back and it was the first time I had been for 10 years and the difference was massive. Its at least quadrupled in size in 10 years.

Parking seemed fine. Plenty of fields. Just a bit of a trek from the car to the house.

Make sure you head all the way to the top of the hill. The spectating down the bottom is very restrictive without a grandstand seat, but further up its much better. There's good viewing in the top paddock too.

On a side note, I still can't belive they haven't built an alternative route down yet. It would mean they could put so much more up the hill at once.

Associate
I was there for the weekend last year, and will be there Friday-Sunday again this year.

It's an absolutely fantastic event. So much to see from just about every era and genre of motorsport. Once you're in it's not too expensive, unless you want to buy lots of F1 team merch which isn't exactly cheap! Worth taking any car/bike keys you own to get into owners clubs, where you can usually get some freebies (BMW club last year was excellent, free drinks etc).

Make sure you head up to the top of the hill to see some doughnuts, as well as the rally stage too!

Hoping the weather holds out; it was an absolute scorcher last year!

Soldato
I went in 2010 IIRC, absolutely fantastic time. Worth it just to see all the vintage/retro rally cars deathing it on the small rally stage, let alone seeing cars caning it up the hillclimb.

As others have said, really busy, but if you go there over two days you'll be sure to see everything.

Associate
OP
thanks so far guys i think me and the mrs are going on sat, im going to take the camera, is it worth buying grandstand tickets when there? as for the rally track can you got track side like you see on tv?

Soldato
When I went, you could just go trackside for the rally yeah. There's a foot path that winds it's way through the woods, actually crossing the track at one point (controlled by marshals). I remember standing at one good spot (as evidenced by the amount of cameras set up!), where there was a jump and then an S bend straight after. Certainly a bit of tail waggling going on there!

Not too sure about the grandstand, we never did it. We just got to the haybales on the straight just after the Flint Wall corner. It does get crowded though at times.

Associate
I have never been but a supplier we have bought some stuff off this year has paid for a corporate table for me and my dad and 10 other people, not sure what that will involve but looking forward to it none the less

Man of Honour
ok thanks guys, i presume parking is free?
lastly if i was to take the bike i wouldnt want to park it on grass is there different parking for bikes?

Bike parking is usually on tarmac at the Motor Circuit. I've no idea how you then get to the main entrance because its a long way between them. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a shuttle bus of some kind.

Associate
OP
Bike parking is usually on tarmac at the Motor Circuit. I've no idea how you then get to the main entrance because its a long way between them. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a shuttle bus of some kind.

thank you very much, woul i be better going in the car, it is very low is my issue. and i dont really like to queue. haha!

Soldato
I'll be working there for two days, for the other two days free. All expenses paid, getting put up in a seven bedroom house :)..

A fair bit if a travel for me, over 400 miles each way but I'm sure it will be worth it.

If I have any freebies to give away I'll post in here.

Associate
OP
I'll be working there for two days, for the other two days free. All expenses paid, getting put up in a seven bedroom house :)..

A fair bit if a travel for me, over 400 miles each way but I'm sure it will be worth it.

If I have any freebies to give away I'll post in here.

what will you be doing ?

Associate
Going on friday with my dad, looks like it might rain though :(
Normally get their for 7am so can walk around the paddock while they start getting the cars ready for the climb! :)

Associate
For the past 3 years my best mate and I always go to the Thursday moving motor show, its normally a bit quieter so you can explore the cars a bit more.

We usually manage to get free tickets but we've had to pay for them this year! But yeah we going in 2 days time :)

Back
Top Bottom