The µ43 thread - welcome to the really dark side

Associate
[copied from my original thread]

HI Chaps,

I'm constantly taking sub standard photos with my smart phone and want something independent that's manual (but also have option for auto mode) that has the ability to change the lenses should I want to in the future.

I've read a little about the mirrorless compact cameras that are basically SLR's but a little smaller and simpler and cheaper on a spec/price point (hence coming into this thread)

I'd be looking for body and lens together as there may be discounts to be had (circa £500), something to learn all the basics on , but also a camera that can still take some really good shots if I pick up the basics pretty quickly.

Are there any manufacturers to watch out for, that use a manufacturer specific lens fitment, which would restrict you to their own lenses, and not other generic brands?

I'm going to Goodwood next Thursday so would love to be able to take some decent snaps!

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Committed myself to the E-PL5 last weekend after part exchanging my Canon gear.
Now got the 12-40mm F2.8, 75-300mm and the 60mm macro.
Might get a prime or two at some point as well.
All are fabulous lenses and the 12-40 and 60mm AF speed are refreshing after my old Canon Sigmas non HSM system!

Certainly no regrets.

Caporegime
[copied from my original thread]

HI Chaps,

I'm constantly taking sub standard photos with my smart phone and want something independent that's manual (but also have option for auto mode) that has the ability to change the lenses should I want to in the future.

I've read a little about the mirrorless compact cameras that are basically SLR's but a little smaller and simpler and cheaper on a spec/price point (hence coming into this thread)

I'd be looking for body and lens together as there may be discounts to be had (circa £500), something to learn all the basics on , but also a camera that can still take some really good shots if I pick up the basics pretty quickly.

Are there any manufacturers to watch out for, that use a manufacturer specific lens fitment, which would restrict you to their own lenses, and not other generic brands?

I'm going to Goodwood next Thursday so would love to be able to take some decent snaps!

Bonjour!

I can't answer you fully but I will answer as best I can. As far as lenses go, I know that Olympus accept Panasonic and Olympus lenses giving you a wide selection covering most possibilities.

Although I do not know a lot about them I know the Fuji's get cracking reviews and people rave about them. I looked into the Sony and something about it I just didn't like. I can recommend Olympus in terms of quality and ease of use. I would imagine most if not all mirror less cameras can be either fully manual or fully automatic. I'm sure someone here can correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope that helps a little :) and FWIW I have an Olympus E-PL5.

Associate
Thanks for the info Phate.

Having read your above post about the E-PL5 I'm perhaps tempted over this , as it looks like a good place to start.

Was also looking at E-M10 , but cheapest at around £600 with the 14-42mm lense is probably a bit too much for me, as I probably won't be able to take advantage of the camera with my weak skills lol!

Have you decided on a new type of lense yet for your E-PL5?

If it helps, I'm mostly going to be photographing things that are fairly close to me, outdoors, things like sunsets/sunrises, scenary cars etc... macro can wait!

Last edited:
Associate
Just bought an E-M5! Body only. I'm off on holiday in September, was hoping to just take 1 lens? ...possibly 2. Will be mostly for landscape and the odd portrait. Would you say the panny leica 25mm 1.4 do? or one with a bit more zoom?

EDIT: found one, 17mm 1.8.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thanks for the info Phate.

Having read your above post about the E-PL5 I'm perhaps tempted over this , as it looks like a good place to start.

Was also looking at E-M10 , but cheapest at around £600 with the 14-42mm lense is probably a bit too much for me, as I probably won't be able to take advantage of the camera with my weak skills lol!

Have you decided on a new type of lense yet for your E-PL5?

If it helps, I'm mostly going to be photographing things that are fairly close to me, outdoors, things like sunsets/sunrises, scenary cars etc... macro can wait!

One thing to remember about the E- series from Olympus is that they all use the same sensor (well I'm not 100% on that on the M10 but, meh) and just have more/less features...so basically for me it was the same camera with more features but not double the moneys worth, so I didn't go for it.

I haven't decided on a new lens yet. I've got a couple I'm keeping my eye on but I'm trying to be sensible and save for a house...IE I think she would kill me if I bought a lens :o :D

Soldato
Im going to post all the codes I have for 35% off on olympus.co.uk tonight. With the expection of one which I promised to Phate. Message me if you want one without it being plastered on here.

I want pics of your newely aquired goodies

Caporegime
As long as you won't get into trouble using your codes up every month dude!

On a side note, I'm trying to choose a tray and handles for my housing, but there are so many!

Associate
Im going to post all the codes I have for 35% off on olympus.co.uk tonight. With the expection of one which I promised to Phate. Message me if you want one without it being plastered on here.

I want pics of your newely aquired goodies

Hi Infernox, I dont exactly know how to send you a message, a bit embarrassing lol!

I would be very, very interested if you have any of the codes left (picture in this thread gauranteed ;) , in the mean time i'll try and find the message you button directly!

Soldato
Ill send the codes to the people who have asked when I get home from work. 9 ish.

The rest, about 4-5 will go here. But if you do decide to use it. Let me know. Ill edit my post.

I like shiny expensive camera stuff. So I want pictures.

Caporegime
I've just been looking at the EM-1 review on DP Review and it's very tempting, although I hate the retro styling that seems to be everywhere at the moment!

I looked into getting the original OM-D when I bought my D7000 but it was more expensive and the lens selection was rubbish. Olympus seem to be pulling it out the bag at the moment though. The 12-40 PRO looks great and the other PRO lenses they have announced look perfect for my needs as well.

7-14 f/2.8
12-40 f/2.8
40-150 f/2.8
300 f/4

Tasty! A fully weatherproof landscape and wildlife package in a nice light weight package...:D That's not mentioning the other random primes available...

Very tempting... Especially with Infernox saying he has 35% off codes... What's the betting the 300 f/4 will be several thousand though? :(

What is the EM1 like as a landscape and wildlife shooter? I'm making the assumption that there will be more distortion than many FF and APS-C systems for landscape? Most of my shooting is Landscape/Wildlife while travelling and hiking so a lighter package is tempting, although I'm not sure I would get rid of the D7000 and 120-300 f/2.8 OS...

Last edited:
Associate
Guys! DO I really need the E-P5 over the PL5?

I'm quite tempted by the 5 axis stabilisation , but more so the wifi mode which can be controlled via smartphone. I have a plan to use a gorilla pod to mount the camera some places in the parents fields/land to get some really good nature shots like squirrels/pheasants/foxes/badgers and wood peckers, but just cant decide ah!

Is literally the only differences between the two the things stated above, I've read so many reviews now that everything just seems to blend into one!:rolleyes:

Associate
Nice to see this thread pop up; I've literally got back from 10 months of travelling with my EM-5, 12-35mm 2.8, 75-300mm and 45mm. Found the kit a good size generally - though would quite often leave the tele at my hostel or whatever unless I knew I was going to use it (as it weighs 500g). Definitely felt like I had sufficient coverage of the range, and didn't even bother taking a flash with me.

There's quite a few of my pics on My Flickr for anyone who's curious. Happy to answer any other questions too :)

Back
Top Bottom