College/University 2014 thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 66701
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
I don't believe I would've got offers from banks, big4 accountancy and a few others without having my degree.

Got a 2:1, and am off to PwC in September, cheers!
Well, like I said, you just bought a ticket that ticks the box in the HR form, nothing else

When people start realising what a joke a degree is becoming that box will be removed

Soldato
Well, like I said, you just bought a ticket that ticks the box in the HR form, nothing else

When people start realising what a joke a degree is becoming that box will be removed

So you're saying that getting a job you want to do is a joke? :confused:

I'd say that being able to earn money by doing what I actually want to do is one of the single most important things I can do in my life.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato

I agree that I did, yes, and that's what I see my degree as. There's some benefit from the data analysis and the like skills that I used, but fundamentally I suppose that is the truth.

Soldato
I agree that I did, yes, and that's what I see my degree as. There's some benefit from the data analysis and the like skills that I used, but fundamentally I suppose that is the truth.

The importance of the degree is what it enables you do do though, that you wouldn't have been able to do without it.

Permabanned
So you're saying that getting a job you want to do is a joke? :confused:

I'd say that being able to earn money by doing what I actually want to do is one of the single most important things I can do in my life.
Great, if you want to spend 40k on ticking a box on a HR form then do that

But don't dress it up as anything more than that. It won't have improved you, it doesn't prove anything about you. All you have to do is turn up fairly regularly and you can get a 2:1 with ease. You will probably get thicker by spending 3 or 4 years there.

I know that it seems like there is nothing else to do and the Government tells everyone to go because it removes 2.5million people from the unemployment figures, but really it is a total waste of time.

Permabanned
The importance of the degree is what it enables you do do though, that you wouldn't have been able to do without it.
It only enables you to do that now, because in the past degrees were actually worth something intellectually, and few people had them.

These days, the standard of 99% courses is utterly DIABOLICAL, and I dont care where or what you study, and thus any importance that a degree has will slowly fade away

Soldato
Great, if you want to spend 40k on ticking a box on a HR form then do that

But don't dress it up as anything more than that. It won't have improved you, it doesn't prove anything about you. All you have to do is turn up fairly regularly and you can get a 2:1 with ease. You will probably get thicker by spending 3 or 4 years there.

I know that it seems like there is nothing else to do and the Government tells everyone to go because it removes 2.5million people from the unemployment figures, but really it is a total waste of time.

Of course it improves me. Maybe you did a useless degree, but not all of us ;).

I spent the money on enabling me to do the job I wanted to do. What is so hard for you to understand about that? This is one of those occasions where I'm struggling to tell if you're genuinely stupid, or just trolling for a reaction.

Although it does sound quite a bit like you're just jealous that you wasted your time on a joke degree that you now can't use. But that's your problem, not ours.

It only enables you to do that now, because in the past degrees were actually worth something intellectually, and few people had them.

These days, the standard of 99% courses is utterly DIABOLICAL, and I dont care where or what you study, and thus any importance that a degree has will slowly fade away

Wrong again, but nice try.

It enables me to do what because without the degree, I wouldn't have the skills or knowledge to do the jobs I'm referring to.

Permabanned
Of course it improves me. Maybe you did a useless degree, but not all of us ;).

I spent the money on enabling me to do the job I wanted to do. What is so hard for you to understand about that? This is one of those occasions where I'm struggling to tell if you're genuinely stupid, or just trolling for a reaction.

Although it does sound quite a bit like you're just jealous that you wasted your time on a joke degree that you now can't use. But that's your problem, not ours.
All degrees are a joke. I did engineering at a Russell university and got a 1st. Even I know the standard of the course was a joke, I would never employ anybody from there. The degree means literally nothing

I also got a phd and work in a university

Soldato
So, I went to Lancaster Unis open day a few weeks back to see what courses they had available for adult learners. one of the course tutors made me an unconditional off (in respect of my IT experience and current portfolio of website

Good for you mate, I started an MSc in Digital Signal Processing at Lancaster Uni at the age of 33. I went on to do a PhD there too.

You'll have a great time, trust me. Are you going to be based in InfoLab21 ? I still live in Lancaster and often go to The Graduate College Bar (my mate runs it and it's been in the Good Beer Guide for 13 years) so we'll have to get together for a pint :cool:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP
Dont go to university its a complete waste of time and money

You will regret it once you leave and realise what a waste it was and how brainwashed you were to think that it would be worthwhile

Well, it wont be a waste of time as I have plenty of spare time now I'm retired (although do I transfer to being a student instead?). :cool: Also, it's a vocational degree, so should be useful.

As for it being a waste of money, I've no intention of ever earning enough to pay the loan back and the grants are non repayable :p

Good for you mate, I started an MSc in Digital Signal Processing at Lancaster Uni at the age of 33. I went on to do a PhD there too.

You'll have a great time, trust me. Are you going to be based in InfoLab21 ? I still live in Lancaster and often go to The Graduate College Bar (my mate runs it and it's been in the Good Beer Guide for 13 years) so we'll have to get together for a pint :cool:

I don't know yet, wont get my joining pack until July. They said I might even have an option of studying at one of their satellites - Blackpool and the Fylde College Bispham campus for instance (which would be great, as that's within walking distance!).

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Got my results, graduating next month, going into a research masters next month. Thought I could do better but everyone will always say a first is a first. Added bonus that I'll be doing something that few brits seem to want to do, and has a bit of prestige to it. I hope the next year will be fun.

Soldato
Got my results, graduating next month, going into a research masters next month. Thought I could do better but everyone will always say a first is a first. Added bonus that I'll be doing something that few brits seem to want to do, and has a bit of prestige to it. I hope the next year will be fun.

Well done, I hope you enjoy it! :)

What exactly is it you'll be doing, that people don't want to do?

Soldato
Sounds like Mr Pickle is just bitter and or a troll.... regardless of whether it just a hoop to tick a HR box it enables people to gain entry to certain jobs they otherwise would find it much harder, no a degree doesnt make you a better person but the experience alone is worth it for many people.

Soldato
Well done, I hope you enjoy it! :)

What exactly is it you'll be doing, that people don't want to do?

Molecular Biophysics. Tends to be a lot of international students involved in the course (the past few years, anyway). I'm not saying there aren't brits doing it, I just seemed to have noticed a lot of international researchers and students in the field, more so than others like in genetics or other molecular sciences. In fact myself and another course mate seem to be the only two staying at our university to continue on with that particular masters.

Of course a lot of academia is an internationally competitive so it's totally normal to have people from all over the world being involved in certain aspects of biophysics, but there isn't much emphasis on it in the UK, at least at the undergrad level, as far as I could tell (I only know about a few of the London universities and Oxford doing some small modules in the field, I'm sure others do as well)

I guess it's a little niche but the great experiences in academia and labs that I've had over the past two years have really helped to lead me down this path. It helps that my supervisor has been really supportive and I'll be trying my best to be up to snuff with the physicists and chemists from the world over. My humble biochemistry background should hopefully be enough, and my near 1 year laboratory experience with crystallography should give me an advantage too.

Right now I'm letting it sink in and releasing the tension that I've had built up over the past year or more. I'm quietly excited about my future. :D

Man of Honour

Yeeeeh there he is.

Racex X forever \m/

Soldato
I don't believe I would've got offers from banks, big4 accountancy and a few others without having my degree.

Accountancy you just need to go a slightly different route for the Big 4. Go mid tier, train up, join as a Chartered Accountant. Job done, no degree needed. Takes roughly the same time as a degree as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom