College/University 2014 thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 66701
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato

Hah, I wish. Some semi-hollow called a Guild Starfire IV. The dude at the store was very good at figuring out what kind of guitar I wanted, and just as I was about to leave, he pulled this out and asked me to try it. It felt really good but I wasn't sure if I should take the plunge so suddenly...

Soldato
Just finished my 3rd year get my results on the 2nd of July, got a summer internship at the university and then on to doing my masters year.

Soldato
I do computer science, I'm almost finished with a year in industry as a software engineer and will be headed back to do my final year of my undergraduate degree next year. Honestly I'm really wanting to get into research and so will be gearing my third year towards that as much as possible as I think I'm more inclined towards that. I could be way out of my depth. It'll be fun finding out I'm sure.

Soldato
I do computer science, I'm almost finished with a year in industry as a software engineer and will be headed back to do my final year of my undergraduate degree next year. Honestly I'm really wanting to get into research and so will be gearing my third year towards that as much as possible as I think I'm more inclined towards that. I could be way out of my depth. It'll be fun finding out I'm sure.

I'm in the same boat. My university is very much geared towards preparing the students for industry rather than traditionally preparing them with research. There's been a new Head of Department and he's trying to change things up a bit hence my summer internship which has me investigating real time deformation, which although is really interesting is so crazy and in depth that it's scary. I did my final year project on the subject and what I will suggest to you is don't bite off more than you can chew. I went in at the deep end and it probably wasn't the wisest decision. Good luck!

Associate
I got my 2nd year results last Thursday, got a 1st overall for the year :)

I'm doing Physics with an Intercalated Year in Computer Science at the University of Birmingham, going on to do the Computer Science year in September then back to my 3rd year of Physics in September 2015 :)

Soldato
I'm in the same boat. My university is very much geared towards preparing the students for industry rather than traditionally preparing them with research. There's been a new Head of Department and he's trying to change things up a bit hence my summer internship which has me investigating real time deformation, which although is really interesting is so crazy and in depth that it's scary. I did my final year project on the subject and what I will suggest to you is don't bite off more than you can chew. I went in at the deep end and it probably wasn't the wisest decision. Good luck!

Thanks for that! Yeah I've definitely got the whole "course is geared for industry" thing going on, too (which is absurd as we're supposed to be a research focused uni). I've heard as much from coursemates who did fairly sizeable projects. That said, I'd much rather do a deeper project than a really broad one with a lot of sprawling features. I guess the best case scenario is to pick something that has a little scope to be 'overcooked' a bit, and that probably starts with defining something achievable from the outset. Regardless of how many people advise me to the contrary, I'll still probably end up picking "interesting" over "manageable level of stress". Still, it's nice to know there are people going through a similar thing!

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
I don't understand why people want to work for the big 4, it's the most generic corporate busywork I can think of.

ACA qualification and the prospects it opens after 3 years, is my personal reasoning for heading that way.

I don't really mind what I do as a job, I can deal with doing menial tasks for long periods of time if needs be. The plan is to take the ACA and move upward from there after 3 years :)

Soldato
I would love to go back to college/uni and study chemistry, My science teachers were abit rubbish when I was in the education system.
since starting my latest job (quality control technician for powders/resins/sealants) my boss is an ex Chemistry teacher and has made me realise how much I actually enjoy chemistry.

O how I would change my choices with hindsight (I imagine that's the same for most people)

I doubt ill ever go back to uni as I don't think ill ever be in the financial situation where it seems possible

Soldato
Returning to uni in Sept to start my 3rd year of medicine. The clinical years begin in a few months, and I can't wait!

Associate
Considering signing up for a degree in Sustainable Performance Management. It counts all my CIMA exams towards the degree so would only have to do 2 units over one year to get the degree. These are done online and the assessments are done via a report & video and slide presentations. It's probably worth it to add to my CV and presentations is probably one area that isn't a strong point for me so it would probably develop my skills in that area. Just have to decide whether I am ready to study again!

Soldato
Went college to sign up for GCSE English And Maths. I had to take a test on the computer. I got in the English course but I didn't get the Maths course. Instead I have to take another maths course that if you pass will let you get onto the GCSE Maths for next year. Bit annoyed about that as now ill end up doing maths along side my access course that I want to do next year.

Soldato
I'm so glad that this thread exists, want to get something off of my chest. Worried about telling my friends because of the complete and utter hate I'll undoubtedly get for 'throwing away such an opportunity'.

So, I've just finished my second year of a BSc (Hons) Computer Science with a fairly high average - well above a first in fact and I've done much better than I could have even imagined.

I applied for a lot of postgraduate placements at some of the best Universities across the UK and the US of which most have accepted (Kent, Cardiff, Aberystwyth, Bath, Newcastle, UCL...), some I was unsuccessful.

I applied for a well-known Amercian technology University in April and hadn't got a reply, until I was emailed by my department to come down as there was an urgent letter there waiting for me.

So I went down there, thinking it was my payment for the summer internship I've been doing since June. When I saw the envelope I thought it was a rejection.

It was not.

Full acceptance for the class of 2015. Went weak at the knees and jumped around like an idiot in my department.

When I got back up to my dorm I called my mother who cried for a bit, everything was good.

And then I thought about leaving Aberystwyth, and I realised that this was something I didn't want to do. I love this University for all of the wrong reasons and I don't want to leave for a while.

I'm currently torn between my head (that's screaming GO YOU FRIGGEN IDIOT) and my heart (which wants me to stay here).

What do.

AJK

AJK

Associate

Go. (Assuming you can afford it, etc.)

Question though- if you've been accepted for a PG placement in 2015, surely the whole point is that you'll finish your UG before you go, and thus leave Aber anyway? Or am I missing something?

Caporegime
My intention after completing the degree is to set up freelance, doing maybe 10-15 hrs a week work to top up my income but still having responsibility for the kids/housework and being able to enjoy the school holidays with the family. I've sworn I'll never work for a big multinational again, but I'm not averse to working for a small start up - as long as they are local or I can work remotely.

don't mean to urinate on your bonfire so to speak but I'm not sure its necessarily a good option - you've got a specific area in mind - web design - and you fancy doing it part time eventually... you don't really require a degree per say and there is plenty of free material out there

I guess if you've got bundles of cash and nothing else to do with your time then it could be interesting but I'd have though just purely from an efficiency pov you'd be better placed to get through what you needed from self study... even rather specific BSc is presumably going to have various general courses in the 1st, 2nd years etc.. some of which you're not going to find much use for. You might find your time better spent on self study, personal projects and then taking on actual work.

Sure if you're 18 and looking to find a full time job afterwards.... its good to have a 'degree' but working part time from home where you're already financially stable and have real world experience.... prob not necessary.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think you'll be surprised of the age ranges. I'm sure there will be plenty of soon to be "mature students" like yourself who are in the same position of wishing to pursue a degree.

From what I vaguely remember with mine, i'd say 10-15% were 30+, 20-25% from 21-29, and the rest being 18/19.

A lot of the 18/19 year old's will drop in the first year anyway, after they either can't handle the small workload, fail at exams/assignments, or just lose interest in the subject they've chosen.

Summed it up quite well. I was fresh from college and I'll be graduating my Mechanical Engineering degree with a First in November (my uni has a late graduation ceremony).

The main thing with a degree is get experience with summer placements / internships! I did a 15 month placement as part of my degree, which was well paid, and ended with a job offer which I returned too earlier this month. Landed on my feet so to speak, but as with most things, you only get out what you put in, so try your best. Good luck!

Associate
Need some advice, I have received an unconditional offer from a Uni and I have accepted but I've now realised I made a mistake on the application and my grades. ( I couldn't find my gcse certs originally)

Should I tell them or leave it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom