Im British and Dont understand tipping

Soldato
Would never tip. They get paid a wage like everyone else in the world why should I pay them more? If anything their company should increase their wages if they aren't being paid enough.

Soldato
I never really tip, especially after you see the level of service you get abroad.

recently been to budapest and they really know what service is. half the staff in england don't even crack a smile

Soldato
To me, good service is giving me what I want. What I don't want is to be harrassed and treated with false sentiments. It makes me feel awkward. Be there when I want something and nothing more, then I'm happy. I'm not tipping you to carry a plate or drink to my table though :confused: So what else am I expected to tip you for if that is all that is required of you?

That is bad service. Not good service, so yeah understand what good service is and that would be a start.

just lol, you clearly don't.
Good service you are left alone. so you may want to stop describing good service as getting harassed as it couldn't be further from the truth.

What amuses me about this argument - if you actually read what Captain Planet wrote, you'd see he didn't describe good service as 'getting harassed'. It says exactly the opposite!

Man of Honour
No that's not what he says at all. He described what he likes, what he is saying is he thinks in America which has very good levels of service you get harassed. If that was the case, they wouldn't score highly in all the studies.

Soldato
If someone does their job I don't tip them. I don't get tipped for doing mine. In fact I get paid less now relatively and made to do more but that's another story lol.

If someone goes above and beyond I will put in a recommendation to their manager and maybe give them a £5 tip to get themselves a drink or something.

In America it's the culture.... something for nothing seems to be a global problem and an annoying problem in the UK!

Soldato
No that's not what he says at all. He described what he likes, what he is saying is he thinks in America which has very good levels of service you get harassed. If that was the case, they wouldn't score highly in all the studies.
So saying 'What I don't want is to be harassed' means 'I want to be harassed'?

Associate
They get wages the same as me, I don't see why I should tip somebody for doing their job.

If they're depending on tips to make a living they should consider another job or employer.

Man of Honour
So saying 'What I don't want is to be harassed' means 'I want to be harassed'?

No, were talking about good service. What he wants he doesn't consider is main stream good service. He is heavily imply good service in America is harassment. Which is not the case.

Soldato
I bet a lot of people on this forum don't have a problem receiving a bonus annually or whatever from their employees though? The same with tips, I don't agree you should get paid twice for a job you're already getting paid to do.

Caporegime
I think people concerned with tipping need to take a look at what living on minimum wage in this country is like. If you want your service staff to have to live like that then go ahead, don't tip, but don't be surprised when you get awful service from staff that are not earning enough money to live serving you.

Indeed :).

Many of the young people serving people (specifically in chain owned places) are on minimum wage for their age, which is really rubbish.

I think the population of this forum do not really offer a very good cross section of the population though, so it's a flawed thread.

I always tip, I always have done. I think many people here wouldn't turn down their bonuses at the end of the year or an increase in pay, after all you're already doing your job well for the money you earn.

Caporegime
I bet a lot of people on this forum don't have a problem receiving a bonus annually or whatever from their employees though? The same with tips, I don't agree you should get paid twice for a job you're already getting paid to do.

that bonus is coming from profits though not directly from the customer and encourages loyalty

Soldato
Why should you need encouragement (bonus) to be loyal and to do a job to your max? Shouldn't be there if you're not willing to do that without a bonus.

Caporegime
Don't talk down to me like I don't know what good service is you plonker :mad: I think you're making a great deal out of nothing. As a customer, you should know what you want, and being given what you want is the only point of services, that is all there is to it really. If you want to be treated like royalty when you go for a meal, then that is your prerogative. I, on the other hand, do not desire such pampering. I want to go out with friends/other half and be served what I want (my food and drink) and be left to enjoy my time with the people I intended to spend my time with.

There should be about 4 sentences uttered between waiter and diner.

"Good Evening, how many people... Will this table do?"
"Are you ready to order?"
"Here is your dinner, would you like anything extra, sauce, cheese...?"
"Here is the Bill"
"Have a good evening and thank you"

Additional discussion can be had if the diner asks for something else or something specific about the food, but that's it...

It bothers me slightly when someone comes back and asks "how is your food?". It's fine thanks... If it wasn't I would have made you aware of it...

At least the horrible fake happiness and "How are you doing sir?!" is only a feature of North America. Drives me batty!

Soldato
It bothers me slightly when someone comes back and asks "how is your food?". It's fine thanks... If it wasn't I would have made you aware of it...

+1 And are they trained to wait until you've just filled your mouth so end up looking like a nodding gesticulating weirdo mute person in an effort to give an affirmative without spitting food everywhere.

Caporegime
+1 And are they trained to wait until you've just filled your mouth so end up looking like a nodding gesticulating weirdo mute person in an effort to give an affirmative without spitting food everywhere.

You understand that in chain restaurants (for example) servers have to do this?

Back
Top Bottom