Clay pigeon shooting.

Don
Back when I was 18 I used to work at a shooting ground. I operated the (manual) traps for the more advanced shooters. We preferred manual traps as it's easy to vary the clays and keep the shoot challenging and interesting.

I also used to instruct novices in gun usage, which was quite good fun. I used to start the session by showing them a 12 bore auto, and asking them what they thought a shotgun was designed for. Breaking clays, shooting game etc were the usual answers. I would say "no", it was designed to kill people.
That certainly made them sit up and treat the weapon with more respect.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Showing your age there Rilot, semi auto and pump action have been S1 firearms since the late 80's :p

Associate
OP
Must admit, I had a weird feeling when I was around the range thinking just like "all these shotguns and anyone could do some serious damage if they were that way inclined." So could anyone tbh! Strange feeling really, almost felt scared.

Associate
I enjoyed my session so much that I applied for a shotgun license so I could go to a local range without an instructor and it's silly, really, how easy it is to get one.

They are easy to get because those who make the rules like to use them (lords of the realm and such like). Even if there was a Dunblane style massacre with someone using an up and over shotgun I doubt you would see much change in the law.

Now you know you like clay pigeon shooting - can I interest you in some practical shotgun (run and gun basically).

Soldato
The day after I first did it my shoulder was agony.

Then the gun was mounted incorrectly.

I've only been shooting since October last year, but my shoulder only hurts if I haven't mounted my gun right.

you get used to.

went shooting last week to practice for a competition next weekend. shot 250 cartridges, picked up 28 grams rather than 24's was pretty sore at the end.

28's are fun, they are all I use. One of the blokes I go shooting with can't use anything over 21 gram, another one doesn't like anything over 24, me and my dad both prefer 28's.

Associate
Incoming slow floaters?

Once you get into the fast clays and two clays fired at the same time it becomes great fun.

We have one over here where two are fired towards you from across the valley with the wind coming up the valley from the sea, blowing the clays all over the place. You have to wait to see which one starts dropping first, then take that shot then go for the other. Love it!

Soldato
Used to shoot 12-bore fairly regular, sadly I never managed better than 23/25 on skeet. Really wanted a straight 25, but it never came.

Once went to an event where they had a variety of guns you could try out firing, various old stuff etc... including a 4-bore. (For those uninitiated, bore numbers go lower, diamater goes higher. It'd be considered rude to use a 10-bore shotgun to shoot clays, as you get a lot more lead per shot)

So I hefted this whacking-great goose murderer up, (single barrel) and up went a clay for me, so I pointed and pulled the trigger. Sounded and felt like Thor himself had popped down for a quick chat, but the poor clay disintegrated into a cloud of dust in mid-air, and as I extracted the shell I found it had actually split across the base, so couldn't be reloaded again.

23mm that thing measured. That's not shotgun calibre, that's anti-aircraft fire diameter! :eek: :eek:

Back
Top Bottom