Cuba libre

Soldato
Hi

Does anyone know the correct way of making a cuba libre drink.

I drink them a lot when in Cuba but I can never make them the same back in the UK.

I use havana club rum (darker type).

Thanks

Soldato
I'm interest in how complex a rum and coke could get..

Tall glass, ice, two quarters of lime squeezed over, dark rum to taste, fill up with coke.

Associate
It's unlikely to taste exactly like the ones in Cuba as the coke used there is generally the local version.

As for mojitos, the Cuban way is definitely best, I despair when I see one made with crushed ice and sugar syrup.

Soldato
It's unlikely to taste exactly like the ones in Cuba as the coke used there is generally the local version.

As for mojitos, the Cuban way is definitely best, I despair when I see one made with crushed ice and sugar syrup.

Totally this, buy cheap coke and you'll get a much more authentic taste than using proper coke! Also as has been pointed out go heavy on the Rum (typically white) for a more authentic taste as that is most definitely how the cubans roll.

Associate
Haha yup - Mojito in Cuba = Mint, teaspoon of cane sugar, splash of soda, muddle, top up the tumbler with rum.

Cuba Libre is usually "buy a bottle of Havana Club 7 to share and a can of coke for each 4 people".

Soldato
A cuba libre is essentially a large rum & coke with extra lime. Adjust to taste but I'd use around 2:1 ratio coke to rum and add half a lime, cut into wedges. I would use a gold/dark rum as well as white rums tend get lost with a strong mixer like coke.

edit - use lots of ice. Don't under estimate the importance of ice when making drinks.

Last edited:
Soldato
As has been said, you won't be able to get the taste without using tuKola, it tastes completely different to Coke, it's even more syrupy somehow, it just tastes like cheap coke with a few extra spoonfuls of sugar loaded in. I don't recall seeing any other soft drink brands other than Ciego Mentero actually!

At a guess, you might actually get closer to the flavour if you use some cheap supermarket stuff!

Back
Top Bottom