Poll: Is Windows 8.1 worth the upgrade over 7?

Windows 8.1 or Windows 7?

• Win 8.1 is best

Votes: 76 63.9%
  • Win 7 as I'm old school

Votes: 43 36.1%

• Total voters

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
For me Windows 8.1 would be my choice as is newer, but only a disk version. I will never do an online upgrade route again with microsoft. With this machine now ill stick with 7, and the next time i buy a new MB n CPU ild get 8.1 on a disk

1) Download 64bit or 32bit ISO.
2) Use Microsoft's utility to create a bootable USB drive.
3) Use the appropriate place holder key (see first link) during installation.
4) Activate Windows using your key after installation.

Associate
Thanks KIA, I dont want to hog the thread, as i already made one on this issue i had/have. But i did all that, and although it accepts straight away, it comes back that i have to re do it, and that my key is blocked, and get messages that i should be vigilant of fraud and goto genuine microsoft products ect, but i did lol, i got mine from microsoft website like everyone else, the tech people from malaysia, know its genuine, but even they cant activate it for me, and cant offer me a new one, and just give me all their numbers they have, which end up,leading you down a road to the automated system again where you enter all those pin numbers to be refused and told the same standard message, about genuine keys.
I know i wont have this issue with a disk, and will be able to refresh and not need to use a key again.

Also thanks elevon, ill spend some time looking over that, and see if anythings different. But just wanted to highlight that things can turn into a struggle, and for me it was not worth it so far lol

Soldato
Win 8 and 8.1 does not offer anything that Win 7 cannot.

I feel that the win 8 metro junk is exactly that... junk.

I use start 8 to both kill off the metro screen and give me back a start button,and I also use a program called modernmix and this forces any win8 apps to run inside a window.

This works in the same waay that Windows run dos apps in a window, and given that I an Atari lover, I find it useable since this is also how the Atari runs single tasking apps in a multitasking environment, or TOS apps in a GEM Window like PRGs

I like that, but there are also a number of apps that simply dont work in windows 8 when they did under 7 and the big one for me is my medical records all must be opened from win 7 or below and win 8 simply gives me a DLL error?

weird, but there you go!

Soldato
Win 8 and 8.1 does not offer anything that Win 7 cannot.
!

Microsoft Store,improved security,Refresh and Reset,Secure boot,Improved Task Manager,speed improvements,I could go on about other features but I think your see my point which is more valid if you stated Win7 does not offer much over Vista SP2 then we would be getting nearer to the truth IMHO.

Associate
I take everything back that I moaned about earlier. Put 8.1 on again yesterday for the 5th~ time and installed everything from fresh. So far so good. Games are definitely faster at loading.

Associate
The other day, I installed Windows 8.1 on a machine in the living room and, dang, it's nice. Flows well and haven't had any issues at all. Just goes to show, you can't always rely on the general view of something, i.e. Windows 8 is ****e crowd.

After trying it out for a few days now, experience it and give it a chance.

Soldato
Microsoft Store,improved security,Refresh and Reset,Secure boot,Improved Task Manager,speed improvements,I could go on about other features but I think your see my point which is more valid if you stated Win7 does not offer much over Vista SP2 then we would be getting nearer to the truth IMHO.

I can accept that. I was mostly really only going by what the masses actually needed over what any specifics might come up. If we were to go on that point, then I would have to include why MacOS or Linux are better than Windows because of X or Y.

I do however stand corrected... Win 8 is a superior OS to win 7 in many many ways.

Soldato
I can accept that. I was mostly really only going by what the masses actually needed over what any specifics might come up. If we were to go on that point, then I would have to include why MacOS or Linux are better than Windows because of X or Y.

I do however stand corrected... Win 8 is a superior OS to win 7 in many many ways.

I use Linux as well on two of my PCs (great desktop OS) and Windows could learn a thing or two from Linux.

Soldato
I can honestly say that I was a windows 7 diehard. Looked at windows 8, and then 8.1 and still did not like it - despite all the improvements under the hood etc. However, just recently I have installed windows 8.1 update 1 version, and I find I have got used to it now, although I am also using start8 as well - still not keen on the metro interface, but all in all, I am now using 8 as my daily operating system, and it is definitely a bit qucker all round than windows 7,but as always ymmv.

Now a happy win 8 convert.Still think windows 7 is/was great though.

Mark

Caporegime
Technically I'm sure Win8 is better. Doesn't matter. I think it's ugly as sin, and won't be using it.

I love Aero Glass. Looking at Win8 is like going back in time to Win 3.1. It's not "Modern" it's a throwback to the 8-bit era lol.

As for gamers needing Win8... wut? There's hardly any difference at all in gaming performance. It's negligible. 1-2 FPS tops. Many benchmarks are available showing this.

Personally, I'm sticking with Win7 until either MS make something better (and not visually repulsive), or I can finally ditch Windows altogether.

Soldato
There is definitely a sense of vindication when so many self-confessed diehards come out and say they actually quite like it and wished they hadn't listened to all the negativity.

Personal taste and opinion was always going to be a factor but is often given far more credit than it deserves, particularly if it's negative (it's always that 1 star review in a sea of 5 stars that sticks in your mind) It's little wonder perception is so skewed.

Soldato
Technically I'm sure Win8 is better. Doesn't matter. I think it's ugly as sin, and won't be using it.

I love Aero Glass. Looking at Win8 is like going back in time to Win 3.1. It's not "Modern" it's a throwback to the 8-bit era lol.

As for gamers needing Win8... wut? There's hardly any difference at all in gaming performance. It's negligible. 1-2 FPS tops. Many benchmarks are available showing this.

Personally, I'm sticking with Win7 until either MS make something better (and not visually repulsive), or I can finally ditch Windows altogether.

Not hard to make Win8.1 look great visually,as to Win7 its like looking at Win95 all over again,no thanks I think almost 20 years of same rehash UI is more then enough,at least we have something new/different for a change and I hope Win9 continues with new modern UI even if its different again rather then staying in the past.

To be fair I still think Linux has some of the best looking Operating Systems that run rings around Win7 or any other OS you can name.

I'll never go back to Win7(dead like XP to me now),it was ok IMHO but nothing really great over Vista SP2,at least Windows 8.1 and even Linux offer much more to me then Win7 ever did.

Btw when are we getting DX11.2 on Win8.1 which was announced last year?....http://www.techpowerup.com/186671/directx-11-2-exclusive-to-windows-8-1-and-xbox-one.html .

Roll on Win9 looking forward to using that and seeing all the FUD and moans by some users lol....

Last edited:
Soldato
All signs point to Threshold being a "what Windows 8 should have been" release so I don't think it's going to suffer anywhere near the same level criticism. Windows 8 was the bulldozer release, just like Vista was.

Associate
8.1 with update 1 is fine.

once you uninstall all the fitness, weather and other pointless apps it gets better. I would still like to see a proper start button but overall yes I prefer it to 7.

With a Start Menu installed Windows 8.1 is fine. I do like the majority of it, including the flat look and the nice tweaks (not including Charms and the Store), unfortunately however forcing the Start Screen on the users with no option to change back to the Start Menu (without mods) is the reason that Windows 8 has garnered a bad reputation for itself.

The next version of Windows will apparently bring back the start menu, and with continued refinements should be another popular OS, such as Windows 7.

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-threshold-the-modern-ui-takes-a-backseat-for-desktop-users

We also have already had reports that the next 8.2 update was also planned to bring back the Start Menu.

I have windows 8.1 on 2 machines at the moment, one however is a work laptop, and I installed StartisBack on that for better productivity, the other I can get by as it is used as a games machine. I still use Windows 7 on my main machines.

Associate
yup, its a shame the the (ex) head of windows development forgot that 99.9% of its user base had a keyboard and mouse and wouldnt upgrade to a touchscreen just because the OS was new. what a ****.

but he;s gone now and the new guy seemingly has sat at his desk and gone WOW a keyboard and mouse, how novel. now lets make windows work with that as all our business users need it to work with.

major cockup by M$ but I thinks as Win 7 is so strong and people kinda accept that evey other release by M$ is crap then Win 9 will be OK.

Soldato
For all the bitching and moaning about win 8 "the touchscreen os" I honestly found windows 8 on an tablet to be a much more jarring and frustrating experience than it is in a pc. Actually it's perfectly fine on a pc with a new minor tweaks. Best windows on out there.

Associate
oh I dunno, the surface 2 pro is quite nice as far as tablets go and the surface 3 (which i have only had a couple of hours with) was pretty sweet as well.

I would rather have a surface 3 than any fruit based tablet thats for sure. although to be fair I aint gonna be paying M$ prices for one.

Back
Top Bottom