F10 BMW 535D

Soldato
The problem is BMW give you tick boxes when looking for a new car.
Being a bloke I obviously have to tick all the boxes..I must I just must

That sends a 30k car into a 60k car. I think i'm a tickoholic

NVP

NVP

Soldato
[TW]Fox;26551573 said:
Obviously petrol is something you'd be happy with so why is the 535i not on your list?

Petrol is my preferred choice and I like big engines. I've driven a 335i and was not impressed, the stats of the 535i don't appeal to me as much as the 550i stats. I know it is rarer but I'm in no rush, the 35d is a compromise enough due to the wider availability as I know I can tune it to a decent performance level.

[TW]Fox;26551573 said:
You are going to be waiting a very long time I'm afraid - some of these options are exceptionally rare so to get them together in the right spec car is asking far too much.

Once you spend some time watching the market you begin to realise just how few cars there are with specifications like that. I saw just ONE car with Adaptive Drive fitted in my entire search and that was looking at SE spec launch cars on which Adaptive Drive was a popular launch spec option.
I know, I found one which met all the spec in 35d form but didn't have Adaptive Drive, but as I say I am in no hurry for a new car so would prefer to wait for my perfect car (or as close as I can get). Still waiting for them to find me an Adaptive Drive model to test drive but even that isw taking time.

[TW]Fox;26551573 said:
TV function is another one, selected by almost nobody because it's largely worthless - you are never going to watch TV when driving your car. It's a 'look at my TV mates!!!!' option and nothing more, mine has a DVD player and I have never and will never use it.
I already have one in my M5 and it gets used quite a bit, waiting for friends, eating a drive through, stuck on the motorway, stop-start in London etc.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;26551483 said:
Unless you get the LED headlights btw be aware you won't get LED front indicators, don't know if that bothers you or not. It's the sort of trivial thing that would irriate me :p

Expensive option? Those are the sorts of things I'd look for too, in a few years time when (hopefully) more and more 'regular' cars have LEDs as standard, things like that can keep it looking fresh. Although I guess that's only to the people who notice in the first place.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;26551647 said:
There is a 640d saloon and actually massive discounts on them too. You should look into these.

I would love one, but with the options I want it's £17k more expensive base price :)

Man of Honour
Petrol is my preferred choice and I like big engines. I've driven a 335i and was not impressed, the stats of the 535i don't appeal to me as much as the 550i stats. I know it is rarer but I'm in no rush, the 35d is a compromise enough due to the wider availability as I know I can tune it to a decent performance level.

You can tune the 535i as well - honestly, IMHO its better than the diesels. I have an N57 diesel engined F10, I know the diesels are good, but the petrols are even better, smoother, quieter, just lovely.

I already have one in my M5 and it gets used quite a bit, waiting for friends, eating a drive through, stuck on the motorway, stop-start in London etc.

You sit in your car eating drive throughs in the carpark? Isn't that a bit £500 Corsa not £50,000 5 Series :p

I would love one, but with the options I want it's £17k more expensive base price :)

Ignore the base price, thats my point. There are HUGE discounts to be had on the 6 Series - people have been getting over £20k off these cars.

Excuse my ignorance, not ventured into these parts much recently...

You finally got your F10 then Fox? Any links for a quick perv?

Yea, I bought an F10 530d a few months ago :)

NVP

NVP

Soldato
[TW]Fox;26552135 said:
You can tune the 535i as well - honestly, IMHO its better than the diesels. I have an N57 diesel engined F10, I know the diesels are good, but the petrols are even better, smoother, quieter, just lovely.
I haven't really looked into tuning the petrol due to larger engines already existing, tuning of the diesel was simply out of necessity really, but you're right I'll check it out, cheers.

[TW]Fox;26552135 said:
You sit in your car eating drive throughs in the carpark? Isn't that a bit £500 Corsa not £50,000 5 Series :p
Hahaha never really gave it much thought, gotta eat somewhere :D

What are these issues you speak of? :confused:

Mainly the harsh ride from the sport suspension. The adaptive drive apparently makes the car feel silky smooth when cruising and firms up when required to give tighter cornering and less body roll etc. - I'm no expert really and haven't had first hand experience yet, but it's being raved about by most journalists although poo-poo'd by the mod enthusiasts.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I haven't really looked into tuning the petrol due to larger engines already existing

If you are buying used, the 550i basically doesn't exist. Neither does the 535i really, so including both makes the needle in the haystack ever so slightly larger.

Soldato
Very nice car.

No idea how people afford a £30k car though - is it on a business lease?

And a new 535d, in the spec the OP is looking at, will be far North of £30k. Probably closer to £40-45 depending on how good a deal he gets, and will have a list price over £50k.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
[TW]Fox;26555440 said:
If you are buying used, the 550i basically doesn't exist. Neither does the 535i really, so including both makes the needle in the haystack ever so slightly larger.

Yeh I get the concept, makes sense - I'm just hoping my perfect spec exists in some BMW execs car somewhere... he's just keeping it warm for me.

In regards to mapping I recall reading for the diesel they had to take it away and something needed removing rather than a simple flash or something like that, although I have no clue on the technical details.

Back
Top Bottom