0% finance - very tempting

Associate
Just saw that Apple are offering 0% finance over 12 months :D I am very tempted to get a top-spec Macbook Pro 13" or Air 13". But I am also very tempted to get the Microsoft Surface 3 as I have a few needs such as notetaking which a touchscreen will make life easier.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just saw that Apple are offering 0% finance over 12 months :D I am very tempted to get a top-spec Macbook Pro 13" or Air 13". But I am also very tempted to get the Microsoft Surface 3 as I have a few needs such as notetaking which a touchscreen will make life easier.

Check whether the overall cost is higher than buying outright. It was when I checked in store. 0% finance, but the monthly payments totaled more than buying it then and there.

It's like people exclaiming 0% commission on currency exchanges. Well, great. But actually no, the exchange rate is terrible and for the amount to be exchanged it makes more sense to go for one with commission but with a better exchange rate.

Associate
OP
Check whether the overall cost is higher than buying outright. It was when I checked in store. 0% finance, but the monthly payments totaled more than buying it then and there.

It's like people exclaiming 0% commission on currency exchanges. Well, great. But actually no, the exchange rate is terrible and for the amount to be exchanged it makes more sense to go for one with commission but with a better exchange rate.

base price is £1408.80, monthly payments are £117.40

Soldato
MacBooks and Surfaces are very different machines. A Mac is going to be useless if you want a touch screen or the note taking features, likewise a MacBook is going to be a better pure laptop.

I'd worry about that before financing options personally. You're only going to get good value if you end up with the device you need, regardless of any offers that might be running.

Soldato

Surely 0% finance for 12 months means exactly that. They're not going to raise the price of the product itself because you've got it on credit. The only way you could end up paying more than the cost price is if you don't pay the loan back within 12 months for whatever reason.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Indeed. If you paid the total cost off BEFORE the end of the 0% period (12 months in this instance), you pay no more than the retail cost.

You will pay more if you continue the loan after this period. I haven't looked at the terms but I'd be surprised if it's not 12-18%

Personally I'd wait until the lineup is refreshed.

Soldato
Most companies bring in these finance deals for only two reasons - to generate sales during a traditionally quiet trading period or to get rid of stock prior to updated models being released.

You have to second guess which one it is.

Associate
Both mine and my wife's iphone 4 and 4s are on they're last legs. The interest free finance offer is extremely tempting right now but I know i'll be kicking myself when the 6 comes out.

Soldato
regardless of finance they seem really expensive for what they are. I would rather spend the money on a decent gaming laptop.

Not a remotely comparable product. Your average gaming laptop is pretty heavy and has mediocre battery life. Likewise you wouldn't really want to game on an MBA.

Apple laptops are actually quite cheap for what you're getting. They look expensive until you realise that you can't get a Windows laptop with similar portability, battery life and build quality without spending as much or more. Of course you can get a laptop for £399 but it's not even the same category of product.

Last edited:
Associate
Most companies bring in these finance deals for only two reasons - to generate sales during a traditionally quiet trading period or to get rid of stock prior to updated models being released.

You have to second guess which one it is.

exactly that :D you will get then a new version will be released and want that

Soldato
Both mine and my wife's iphone 4 and 4s are on they're last legs. The interest free finance offer is extremely tempting right now but I know i'll be kicking myself when the 6 comes out.

Me too I need to be permanently attached to a socket with my 2 year old 4S unless I want it run it only as a phone (no 3G, Wifi, Bluetooth or location services)

As a phone only device it lasts for a good long time.

If only I could turn 3G off and on from the hud :)

Ah well we can but dream....

Soldato
Me too I need to be permanently attached to a socket with my 2 year old 4S unless I want it run it only as a phone (no 3G, Wifi, Bluetooth or location services)

As a phone only device it lasts for a good long time.

If only I could turn 3G off and on from the hud :)

Ah well we can but dream....

That's exactly how I run my GS2 no wifi 3G Bluetooth etc. until I decide I want to use it or need to use it. That way my battery is still around 65% even after 14 hours. I don't see this as an issue and I don't feel I'm missing out. I'm not allowed to use my phone during working hours anyway and I have my iPad and main PC when I'm at home. My data plan useage each month is almost zero. :D

Back
Top Bottom