Poll: Is Windows 8.1 worth the upgrade over 7?

Windows 8.1 or Windows 7?

• Win 8.1 is best

Votes: 76 63.9%
  • Win 7 as I'm old school

Votes: 43 36.1%

• Total voters
Soldato
Did you even try Windows 8 properly?

What do you mean properly? I am using it. Just modified it with 3rd party programs to behave like windows 7 which I am used to. All they are really doing is giving me a different way to access the o/s. Instead of charms and metro I use the start menu. If I accidentally open an app, it loads in windowed mode on the desktop.

I am using all the advantages of Windows 8.1 over Windows 7 but with a interface I am used to. I am the one using the computer so I do what makes me happy :). Thats my defination of using an o/s properly!

edit: I think you might have meant, did I even try using vanilla windows 8.1 at all? Nope. Installed Start8 straight away with Modern mix and got on with my life.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well yes, but that's not the point: I shouldn't have to. They should be there.

I've asked for advice on that on another forum.

Nitpicking a little,I could say why do I've to install Dosbox(which I use) on last few Windows Operating Systems because Microsoft removed DOS.
I also could say why do I've to install drivers now and then or some of my favourite games,I think you see my point.

As to Start Menu alternatives good thread here http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2283053 .
That's the great thing about Win8/8.1 its very versatile that some users don't appreciate,you can make it unique or behave like Win7 so your call.

They like to moan more ;) .

Last edited:
Soldato
7 just works.

8.1 is designed around a touch screen. Makes perfect sense on a Surface, rubbish on a desktop PC. Shame, there's some useful technology improvements under the skin, that are hidden under the square Windows 3.1 alike design and confusing interface.

Aero4ever!

Considering I'm a die hard mouse and keyboard user that hates touch screen in general,I find using Win8.1 a breeze with mouse and keyboard so you tell me what I'm doing right with no computer training or PC skills when I was at school back in 70s(yes calculators were new and hi tech back then lol).

I hate to say it but a case of either being spoon fed or users don't like something different and refuse to adapt,yes you can dislike something but don't tell me its hard or you need a touch screen far from it,clicking via mouse is one of the simplest things even on Win8.

Regardless I look forward to Win9 to see how users adapt to that OS or maybe not.

Last edited:
Soldato
What else do i need to add? The windows 8 desktop is pretty much identical is use to windows 7 (ie, naturally K&M driven). But it also has metro/start screen tacked on the side. How much do you use the windows 8 desktop vs the metro stuff on your pc? Even for those of us who use metro, its probably about 90/10 desktop/metro because its predominantly used to launch applications and that's about it. Those who use a start menu replacement, 100/0.

so in use, windows 8 is practically. no different to 7, unless you know something we don't?

Not in my opinion. I own a Surface Pro and I've got 8.1 installed on a second drive in the desktop, so I've experience of both types of device.

and I've run windows 8 since the first public beta and done some pretty extensive testing on a i5 dell venue 11 pro. I know enough to know a windows 8 desktop on a PC is a much better experience than it is on a tablet.

So... Nope.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't agree. Deal with it.

Tried Windows 8.1 on my work laptop. Went back to Windows 7 within a couple of weeks as it impeded my workflow too much. The home machine is for gaming only, everything else is done on OS X.

Last edited:
Soldato
On something like a work laptop an upgrade is questionable regardless of what you're actually upgrading to. In my experience the use cases for these types of machines are narrow and extremely well-drilled and therefore quite sensitive to change. Definitely not a show-stopper but equally not something you do just for the sake of it.

Soldato
:D make a statement, take issue with me when i say its wrong, tell me you dont have time to explain why when i ask you 'because RL' (note me giving you my reasons) despite you replying twice since then you call me a troll (!)

Good effort MagicBoy :D Well don't worry. if you dont have time, dont reply now - concentrate on that job application instead. Then you can tell us afterwards :) or tomorrow, we all have RL stuff to do too :)

Associate
sorry but I had to chip that in.

people will just never agree on this on Every new OS release and in every forum the same things are said every time.

Some people like to stay where they are.
Some people like to move forward regardless for the new thing
Some people move forward and like it
Some people move forward and then back with disgust

but ultimately who cares.

I draw the line at OS X though. its just Linux that you pay for!

Back
Top Bottom