British Grand Prix 2014, Silverstone - Race 9/19

Caporegime
Ah, that's good, sucks but, better than being unable to go faster. Stupid bad luck though. I take it they only planned to run her in FP1, with Bottas back in for FP2? Was she supposed to be doing FP1 somewhere else this season as well, seem to remember something about her having two FP1's this year.

Caporegime
Shame for Suzie :(.

Why? 31 years old, never won a race, never got pole or fastest lap and a grand total of 4 podiums since starting racing. Everyone complains about pay drivers then they let this driver near a car. Admittedly some of the PR shoots she has done of photos with her legs out she has looked quite hot but that's about it.

Bring back proper test days and let proper aspiring F1 drivers male or female get a shot instead of people like this.

Man of Honour
Watched FP1 from Luffield stand. Cars sounded great, don't know what the fuss was about. Lots of drifting on power which is nice. Ferrari powered had the loudest boost spool down noise :)

Soldato
Alonso... everyone keeps saying he's the best driver since Senna... how many WDCs has he won since 2006? None I hear you say? Why? Hmm I wonder......

If Alonso had been given preferred driver treatment at McLaren he would have won the 2007 title, and probably 2008 as well as he would have stayed with the team. Since then we've had one surprise package and four years of an obnoxious finger-waggling child in a rule-bending car.

dannyjo: Suzie Wolff has admitted that her husband got her into the car, but she's also said that it's up to her and nobody else to prove that she should stay in it. I'll take that kind of frank honesty over Max "At least I finished" Chilton any day of the week and twice on race weekends.

Soldato
Ah, that's good, sucks but, better than being unable to go faster. Stupid bad luck though. I take it they only planned to run her in FP1, with Bottas back in for FP2? Was she supposed to be doing FP1 somewhere else this season as well, seem to remember something about her having two FP1's this year.

She will have FP1 in Germany I believe.

Caporegime
I really don't know what her situation was in previous formulas/racing. it's very possible for someone to shine in a crap car that can't even get in the top 10, it's equally possible she was just crap. It's also pretty likely that even if a woman was doing well enough to deserve a drive in a stronger team that a team might not want to take a chance on a woman. So she may not have had the chances that a male driver would have had.

The general idea is that women may see racing on tv as kids, they are all men, and feel like that sport isn't for them, and that having a female driver who deserves to be there or not, may encourage more women into the sport. For every Alonso there is probably a couple hundred thousand young drivers who turned out to be crap, so for there to be a female on ALonso's level you need to get more drivers to try it so that you eventually get a really good one.

I can see the idea, it's not terrible but then there is no absolute need for there to be a great female driver. Ultimately where the equality/fairness part comes in is less at the top end, but more like not excluding young female drivers by default of it being a male only sport.

If she truly deserves a spot, probably not, but it might be a good step to finding a woman driver who does truly deserve a spot. I don't think it's entirely necessary, but I understand the general idea behind trying to get a bit more exposure of women drivers in the highest level of the sport.

Back
Top Bottom