Nvidia Shield - Best handheld?

Soldato
I had one for a little while. You can also connect it to your TV using a HDMI cable and output to the TV. Then you can use a bluetooth controller or a wired 360 pad via a USB hub and that puts the shield into 'console' mode and I could stream my PC games to the telly and it worked fine.

The above didnt really do it for me though as a steambox does it better I think but a steambox doesnt have a built in controller/screen and can come on the train with me also! Where it shined for me was emulators. Being able to play all my Dreamcast games on the train or at work was great.

The Shield 2 release is imminent.

Soldato
Just get a MOGA controller and play the games on a 1080p mobile screen , with all the emulators

This. I really don't see the point of the Shield outside of yet more attempts at nVidia to lock people in to feeling forced to use their hardware, as the nicest part of the Shield is being able to stream games, yet you HAVE to have an nVidia GPU for that, which means most people who don't are just not going to bother with the Shield, even if they find it interesting.

I have a PSVita and 3DS and they both have their uses, but I also have a very small laptop that I can use for the likes of Half Life 2 (and the rest of my Steam Library in fact) if I ever wanted to play that out and about.

Man of Honour
I've been tempted to buy one of these for a while, Dreamcast, SNES, PSX games on this would be fun but I have been holding out for the Shield 2. Seeing that link to a Shield tablet has put me off, I take it that it doesn't have physical buttons? If not then I'm out!

Caporegime
Had my Nvidia Shield for a week or so now, and have to say it's my favourite handheld console in a long, long time. With exclusives like Half Life 2, Portal, and Mount & Blade, it's got a great line up of games, also including the rest of the Android catalogue. GTA San Andreas, and Vice City, play great on this handheld console.

I find it really comfortable to use, with positive buttons and an amazing screen - and, probably most importantly, great battery life (unlike my 3DS). It can stream pc games too, but that's not something that interests me, so haven't looked into that feature.

Any other fans around?

What's the point of a handheld without Pokémon? :( :p.

Soldato
I'm really having a serious think about picking up the tablet version of The Shield.
I don't have a tablet myself so that is a plus, but also I'm a PC gamer at heart but all the guys I live with are console gamers.

So it would be nice to be able to plug this into the TV downstairs and stream my Steam library to it and everyone can have their own controller for multiplayer games.

Back
Top Bottom