Original Quake online?

Soldato
Whilst I enjoy Quake live and its is great multiplayer for free, I wondered if original quake is available to play online

I fired it up this morning and its still a fantastic single player game. I played multiplayer over LAN at college and it was the best game around at the time.

Possible now with a decent lobby?

Soldato
OP
Job done! Just went into Multiplayer options and chose to join darkroom games and a couple came up. Straight in!

Darkroom is the mod that comes with Quake Steam install - not sure how to get rid of it but it works pretty well anyway

Associate
QuakeWorld, in my opinion, is one of the original daddies of online FPS.

You'll need original ID1\PAK0.PAK and PAK1.PAK to get started - there is still great interest in a small subset of base maps. Naturally you can also find many 3rd party maps to play on, some of which will feature more prominently in duel, 4on4 and FFA rotation.

ezQuake / nQuake and the QuakeWorld.nu community site should help you get going.

Man of Honour
Someone was working on making something similar to QL with tentative permission from id (before bethesda acquisition) but I don't have the site in the bookmarks on this laptop and not sure if went anywhere anyhow.

Man of Honour
Wasn't that, there is actually a web player for the shareware version of quake lol (also not what I was talking about) Annoyingly I seem to have lost the link or it was on an older PC.

Back
Top Bottom