New car suggestions - using car allowance to my advantage....

Soldato
I've got a 55 plate mk5 Golf GTI at present, but I'll be getting a car allowance at work shortly.

The rules are - By not taking an actual company car and buying my own, whatever I get has to be less than 5 years old at the point I buy it, and no older the 8 years during my ownership. Can spend upto 350pm so I was thinking of a 3 year PCP deal to make the best use of the car allowance. Should see me looking for cars in the 17-22k area, less is obviously better, will spend for the right car if needs be.

Looking for something interesting that wont depreciate too hard to make best use of the allowance, which would be easy if it didn't have to be reasonable on fuel. (300 miles a week just getting to work, before social use). Doesn't need to be brilliant on fuel though, the emphasis is more on the interesting car, than the fuel efficient. Over 30mpg average, 35+ on a run will be fine.

The other thing is it needs to be capable of carrying a bike, and a pushchair (not at the same time), wether thats in the car, on the roof or with a stealth towbar. The Mrs has the big baby wagon, I just need to drop him off with his pram occasionally. Don't need more than 2 seats, I don't think the rear seats on my golf have been up ever in the last 6 months.

Only 1 bike as if i'm going with friends it goes in their cars. I generally only drive 4-5 miles to meet with them. I can also get away with using her car for bike carrying duties 75% of the time.

I'd love a cayman S or an M3, but both too heavy on fuel I fear. Jag XF 3.0 S diesel interest me, lovely inside and drive well, but way bigger than I need (not really an issue, but seems a waste when I want something fun-ish.

I suppose one interesting idea is getting something so good at depreciation, it makes it worth using up extra fuel...

Suggestions welcome!

Man of Honour
A 3 year PCP deal almost certainly isn't the best way to make the most of your allowance. For £350 a month inc vat with sufficient mileage allowance for your business use and running costs is going to be getting you junk rather than 3 litre Jaguar's.

You'll be better off taking advantage of that rather generous 5 year age allowance and using the allowance to fund a personal loan or something which you can then use to buy yourself a 2 or 3 year old approved used Jaguar XF if it's the XF you want.

Soldato
OP
You can get PCP on any car upto 5 years old at 6.9% fox quite a few places will do it, even on a privately bought car!... (I was surprised)

The XF really appeals and either a low spec facelift, or a portfolio at 4 years old is in budget. I just don't need anything that big seems a bit of a waste, her car is the family bus (2.0tdi seat altea).

The GFV on a 5 year old XF (for example) is around £8000, you'd like to think it would be worth a little more than that. even if its only worth £10,000 i'm up compared to a boring small engined diesel company car that would have used my full car allowance plus tax on top. That the theory anyway... better ideas welcome!

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
6.9% is a terrible rate, the going rate for unsecured finance is currently down at around 4%.

You would be best off obtaining a bank loan if you are needing to borrow, and then buying a 5 year old used car yourself.

Soldato
Unfortunately it gets you the previous shape (probably) but I'd be considering something like an Octavia vRS hatch/Estate.

The XF is lovely, but I'd say a vRS Hatch is more sporty, and with you saying a Cayman or M3 it seems to be that drive is important to you. Think of it as a bigger, more practical Golf GTI. However, as you've mentioned an XF, you sound like you are wanting something a bit more refined. I don't know what BMW's are good in this space, but is there a good x33d/x35d vehicle in this price range?

All that said, I had a diesel (2.2?) XF as a courtesy car earlier in the week and did a similar distance commute to your one and it was surprisingly nimble. Didn't feel like a big car at all, and rear leg room was good. Engine was a real, real shame though. Gutted it didn't have something more suitable (V8 Petrol would have been my choice). I've got no idea what the 3.0D engine is like. Sorry

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately it gets you the previous shape (probably) but I'd be considering something like an Octavia vRS hatch/Estate.

The XF is lovely, but I'd say a vRS Hatch is more sporty, and with you saying a Cayman or M3 it seems to be that drive is important to you. Think of it as a bigger, more practical Golf GTI. However, as you've mentioned an XF, you sound like you are wanting something a bit more refined. I don't know what BMW's are good in this space, but is there a good x33d/x35d vehicle in this price range?

All that said, I had a diesel (2.2?) XF as a courtesy car earlier in the week and did a similar distance commute to your one and it was surprisingly nimble. Didn't feel like a big car at all, and rear leg room was good. Engine was a real, real shame though. Gutted it didn't have something more suitable (V8 Petrol would have been my choice). I've got no idea what the 3.0D engine is like. Sorry

I've spent a bit of time in a mates 2.7d XF and found it lovely, brisk rather than in any way fast, but I'd imagine a 3.0 S would sort that out! It just seems a waste when I don't need a car that big.
But I'm doing too many miles to have a toy whichever way I look at it, Its either something modern 2.0 turbo petrol or a big diesel to get semi-reasonable MPG whilst keeping a bit of performance, and I can't see any of the VAG crop of 2.0T's being any better to drive than my chipped GTI
(which I like).

Back
Top Bottom