Macs and Wifi?

Associate
Hi guys,

This is a problem that all my Macs have had since I can remember... most recently my rMBP...

In a nutshell, you open it up and it tries to connect to wifi for ages before actually linking up, or alternatively, I can just switch wi-fi on and off and in works straight away...

Does anybody else have this? One of the best laptops money can buy and it has become routine that I open the lid, turn wifi off then on again, then get on with what I was doing... ridiculous really...

Is is just me?

Soldato
I had this issue with my MacBook Air. The most recent OSX update we had a few days ago sorted it for me after months of frustration

Associate
I've had this issue over the years with some of my Apple products. Often a WiFi channel change will fix the problem for a period, it would often return at some point.

I wonder if for whatever reason the hardware/drivers are more susceptible to WiFi interference.

Caporegime
In my experience Apple kit has always played the nicest with Wi-Fi networks. My rMBP is reconnected before the lid has fully opened.

It gets regular use on Apple / Aerohive / Cisco wireless access points.

Caporegime
My Air used to have this problem. It's a fairly standard issue many people have with Apple kit, although some on this board will insist it doesn't exist...

On the other hand it was finally fixed with an update about a year later and I have no problems now.

Associate
OP
Hmm, interesting to see the mixed response...

I'm on a sky hub extended to 3 Airport Expresses around the flat... Strange that it connects perfectly fine if you manually disconnect then reconnect, you'd think they could build something into the software to deal with that.

I'll mess with some settings and see how it goes.

Soldato
Used to have the problem occasionally before the update, hasn't come back since, both machines connect quickly now.

Try deleting the network preferences files and setting everything up again?

Associate
I get this issues on both a iMac and MBP, I found out that the Virgin Media super hub when in auto mode for WiFi channel, actually isn't auto it just sets to channel 8. The busiest channel in the WiFi signal range covering my house.
The iMac and MBP seam to be sensitive to overcrowding of the channel. Causing them to fail when trying to lock on.
Also channels either side suffer from bleed over and I needed to set the WiFi channel to manual and use WiFi analyzer to select a uncontested channel.

All other WiFi devices are fine, it also happened the most after waking up from sleep. That's what lead me to investigate and fix the so call auto mode to manual. Doesn't happen any more but the fix by Apple should help if The currant channel starts to fill up.

Back
Top Bottom