Bringing a DSLR on Holiday

Soldato
I really want to take a DSLR to Spain at the end of the month, but the thought of taking my 5DMK3 leaves me feeling sick. I'd have to keep it on me at all times as I wouldn't trust leaving it in a hotel room safe. The more I think about it the more I know that it would impede on the holiday, as this is not a photography holiday.

So what are my options?

I'm thinking a cheapish second hand body, such as the 50D. A lost cost fast prime 50 1.8 and perhaps a walk around zoom. I'm really regretting selling my 400D a couple of years back!

Any thoughts?

Soldato
What's the point of having a nice camera if your worried about taking it somewhere you want to take nice photos. Just take it but only take a couple of lenses.

Caporegime
I really want to take a DSLR to Spain at the end of the month, but the thought of taking my 5DMK3 leaves me feeling sick. I'd have to keep it on me at all times as I wouldn't trust leaving it in a hotel room safe. The more I think about it the more I know that it would impede on the holiday, as this is not a photography holiday.

So what are my options?

I'm thinking a cheapish second hand body, such as the 50D. A lost cost fast prime 50 1.8 and perhaps a walk around zoom. I'm really regretting selling my 400D a couple of years back!

Any thoughts?

Insurance mostly resolves the cost issue but I know what you mean.

I would also consider buying a small mirrorless set up for holidays because not only are they less valuable but you can hide them easily and will take them with you more often even when going completely casual.

I'm hoping to go to the Algarve in September and will probably leave my D800 behind because I will be too busy looking after our 3 month old and will have very little spare carrying capacity but I know I might regret not having it.

Soldato
OP
I get what you are all saying, what's the point of ownership if you aren't going to bring it etc.

I already have Photoguard insurance with EU cover, but I still don't feel all that happy about taking it. If it's locked in a room safe and just say the hotel management open it with a spare key, it gets whipped out, where does that leave me insurance wise as I haven't been mugged and there's no sign of forced entry.

Soldato
Read through your policy and see what it says

You'd have had to give them serial numbers and values anyways have you?

One thing to think if will the safe be large enough for all your gear?

Caporegime
Take d800 or baby

Hmm tough call

Its proving difficult to get a passport in time so maybe I will take my D800 baby instead!

Normally I woudn't think twice about taking all my camera gear and photography would be a core part of the holiday. However we both just need time to relax and do nothing. Plus it is amazing how much stuff you need to travel with a baby, most of the checked bag allowance will be taken up with baby gear and my cabin bag will be used for clothes, which I would normally only have 1 spare change but I need to bring a suit or my kilt because the main purpose of the trip is a wedding (which then makes me want to bring the D800....)

Caporegime

yeah, most hotel safes will barely fit a large camera.

Associate
Take the camera, you'll be taking a baby bag everywhere with nappies and essentials anyway. Either make room in that for the bare minimum kit or take a small generic looking rucksack as you would expect a holiday maker to have.

Soldato
OP

They have all of the serial numbers and value.

It's a good point you've raised about the size of a typical hotel room safe, they are pretty small. The last room I stayed in had quite a large size one though, large enough for a body and two small lens.

It's all a bit of a pain to be honest. Having laid out money for the holiday I'm pretty skint to be purchasing a beater body. Especially as I want HD video capabilities as I'd like to make an attempt in producing a short scenic video while I'm out there. A 50D could run Magic Lantern on it without audio, but yeah still talking about +£250.

Soldato
OP
I've just been reading through my insurance cover, I've highlighted in red areas that I think could be an issue if someone from the hotel has a second key for the safe.

What is Not Covered

1. The Excess as shown on Your Insurance Schedule.

2. Theft when the Property Insured is in a locked room or locked cupboard away from the Insured Location unless access is by Forcible and /or Violent Entry and You have complied with Security Requirements 3.1b as applicable.

3. Theft when the Property Insured is at the Insured Location unless involving Forcible and/or Violent Entry and You have complied with Security Requirement 3.2.

4. Theft when the Property Insured is Unattended.

5. Theft from an Unoccupied Insured Location.

6. Theft by a person or persons to whom the Property Insured is entrusted.

7. Theft when hired out by You to any other person, unless You are in attendance.

8. Theft from any building at the Insured Location which is not of brick or stone built construction with a tiled or multi layer roof and securely locked, unless specified in an Endorsement.

9. The matching of any parts of a set or collection, not the subject of Theft.

10. Unexplained Theft.

11. Depreciation on Laptops and Laptop Accessories over 18 months old.

3.1 Security requirements where the Property Insured is away from the Insured Location

Accidental Damage, or Theft of the Property Insured whilst the item of Property Insured is away from the Insured Location shall only be covered in circumstances

where:

a) the item of Property Insured is not left Unattended; or

b) the item of Property Insured is inside a locked room or locked cupboard, and any security devices have been made operational.

I read that as if there's no violent entry, you aren't covered as it's a unexplained theft? It would be my word against the hotel owner.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
silly question but what sort of hotel you staying in if you expect someone to have keys to the safes and empty them ? if its that bad i wouldnt be staying in there to start with.

Soldato
I'm off to Spain shortly for nearly 3 weeks...

At the moment, I'm taking my DSLR + P&S to cover most stuff, and we are staying at my parents apartment, so have a bit more security.

However, at the back of my mind I keep wondering if a Sony RX100 is the perfect tool for the job, eminently pocketable with large enough sensor and an f/1.8 (at it's widest) lens... Around £300 with cashback.. That way I can take it to the theme parks and other attractions, keep it in my pocket and still be able to get creative and have full control..

Soldato
I must admit I'm getting a bit tired of carting the DSLR on holiday myself. The quality of mobile phones let alone compact cameras these days is seriously making me reconsider.

Associate
I usually take all my gear when i travel. I just leave the lenses i wont use for the day buried in my suit case and the rest of the time everything is with me

I never leave my camera in the hotel while away :D for the same reason as above

Soldato
OP
I'm off to Spain shortly for nearly 3 weeks...

At the moment, I'm taking my DSLR + P&S to cover most stuff, and we are staying at my parents apartment, so have a bit more security.

However, at the back of my mind I keep wondering if a Sony RX100 is the perfect tool for the job, eminently pocketable with large enough sensor and an f/1.8 (at it's widest) lens... Around £300 with cashback.. That way I can take it to the theme parks and other attractions, keep it in my pocket and still be able to get creative and have full control..

I was just reading about the RX100 - Looks great, especially the mark 3. But then I notice the price! £600?! WUT!?

Back
Top Bottom