F10 BMW 535D

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I think there is a different between affording finance and dumping 30K of cash on a car.

Exactly, and i referred to either. I think a lot of people posting here would hardly find it a killer to put £30k together one way or another.

Soldato
I guess by your standards an awful lot of people are very wealthy then :)

I've wouldn't know how many an 'awful lot of people' would be.

All I can say is that on a £40k salary, after I've paid tax/NI, pension, health insurance etc, it leaves about £2.3k pcm.

£1.3k goes on mortgage, bills and house related expenses. Most of remaining £1k gets chewed up on commuting, food, expenses, car, insurance, gym, sports, holidays, and going out.

At the end of the month, there's hardly anything left over, left alone a £30k cash pile.

Like I said earlier - you're either very wealthy or live like a hermit in a very cheap part of the country.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I think its fair to say that most people who drive nice cars are probably on a household income in excess of £2300pcm :p

To answer the number question, i guess PMKeates could throw some stats for how many cars sold in the UK over a given period at a list of over this kind of figure if he could be bothered, the number will be a large one :)

Last edited:
Soldato
£1.3k goes on mortgage, bills and house related expenses. Most of remaining £1k gets chewed up on commuting, food, expenses, car, insurance, gym, sports, holidays, and going out.

At the end of the month, there's hardly anything left over, left alone a £30k cash pile.

There is your problem right there.

Be a fat pie eater like me, live out of Farmfoods, ditch the gym, sports and holidays and going out, and get yourself a decent motor.

It's all about priorities. I'm sure you would manage to "find" the ~£350 per month required to drive a £30k motor, if you prioritised it over other things, like instead of going to the gym, run and lift bags of sugar. Instead of going out on the peeve, take ecstasy, it's much cheaper. Go camping instead of foreign holidays.

Man of Honour
Exactly. I wouldn't drop £30k on a car, unless I was earning £65k/70k+ a year or already had a big cash pile, mortgage paid off, big house etc.

Do you have a partner? As I said above I'd imagine many people with £30k+ cars have two wage earners in the house. Two people on your salary in your house for example would be on the equivalent of almost £100k PA given that's two personal allowances, etc.

Soldato
OP
Well, I still haven't put the order in yet - I've been considering a 530D instead.

Does anyone have experience of driving both the F10 530D and the 535D?

Man of Honour
Not driven a 535d but to be honest I don't find the performance of my 530d anything other than 'outstanding' and the current one has 12bhp more so is even quicker.

Man of Honour
245hp is not outstanding Fox!

Perhaps not for you, but I find it very satisfying. It is much quicker than the 530i despite a slightly lower power to weight ratio. Much of it is the transmission.

0-60 in 6 seconds is perfectly acceptable for a car of this size.

Back
Top Bottom