Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Just entered the Wiggle magnificat event this sunday.

7000ft worth of climing over 128 miles.

A few of my friends are doing that, i was going to but when i get to 90 miles my knees tend to be killing me, i dont think i could do another 40ish after that. Ive got a bike fit booked for thursday tho so hopefully in the future ill be able to

Caporegime
Hmm. I did wonder if such a thing really existed. I have bib tights from aldi or lidl with rear pockets, and I figured the pros must have pockets on their bibs given how many bottles some of them seem to carry, but perhaps not.

Soldato

time is the problem with me.. and recovery after gym sesions..

I will get to RP this week I just gotta do it..

but lets say my week goes -;

Monday-Friday commuting with Wednesday at the gym doing arms

then Saturday and Sunday is back and leg day..

wake up on monday(6 hours after leg day) and back on the bike.

I hardly if ever feel "100%" and if I wasn't commuting I wouldn't be able to get on a bike at all.. this is the only way to get out and enjoy two things really.

I'm far from slow when you compare it to an average road cyclist but yeah I haven't had the chance to go around RP yet to see what's it's all about.

on that note.. how do I enter RP at lets say 5:30am-6am? which gates are open? can't find much info online.

:o

Soldato
Hmm. I did wonder if such a thing really existed. I have bib tights from aldi or lidl with rear pockets, and I figured the pros must have pockets on their bibs given how many bottles some of them seem to carry, but perhaps not.

Just stick it up your back and the jersey holds it in place. I once carried two 2l bottles of Coke that way back from the shops (with a baguette across my handlebars). :D

Caporegime
Interesting mixed reactions from the teams regarding the crowds on the UK stages of Le Tour. I think the numbers were impressive, but lots of the riders weren't too happy about how close people were to the riders. Maybe that's down to a lack of organisation? On the London stage, it looked like they had marshals keeping people back off the roads, but even then there was that crash with David Lopez. Up on Holme Moss I don't remember seeing any marshals doing anything to stop people surging forward, so we were really close to the riders, and there were bits on stage 1 where the riders had to get off their bikes to get past people.

It's a tricky one I guess... On the one hand it's really good that people would turn out for it, and it's great that cycling is so open in terms of letting people get close to the action, but perhaps they needed a few more marshals to keep things under control.

Associate
Grudas, the main gates are Roehampton gate (priory lane), Richmond gate, Kingston gate and the Sheen gate. From the south, Kingston gate is probably the one you want to take, if you're following the Richmond Rd from the direction of clapham, then you'll want to enter via Roehampton. If you're coming from the West then take the Richmond gate.They're all quite clear from Google maps. In terms of navigating Richmond, it's essentially a loop, just follow the road (shown in red on the pdf map). The gates are closed to traffic until around 6:30, but the pedestrian gates to the side will be open. The easiest way is to follow the road counter clockwise. The main efforts on the route are the Sawyers hill climb and dark hill, otherwise it's flat and quick.

http://www.royalparks.org.uk/__documents/park_maps/richmondpark_english_map.pdf

Last edited:
Caporegime
Grudas, the main gates are Roehampton gate (priory lane), Richmond gate, Kingston gate and the Sheen gate. From the south, Kingston gate is probably the one you want to take, if you're following the Richmond Rd from the direction of clapham, then you'll want to enter via Roehampton. If you're coming from the West then take the Richmond gate.They're all quite clear from Google maps. In terms of navigating Richmond, it's essentially a loop, just follow the road (shown in red on the pdf map). The gates are closed to traffic until around 6:30, but the pedestrian gates to the side will be open. The easiest way is to follow the road counter clockwise. The main efforts on the route are the Sawyers hill climb and dark hill, otherwise it's flat and quick.

Talking of Richmond Park, can anyone give me a halfway decent route there from Euston? If I put it into ridewithgps, it sends me along Marylebone Road and the Westway, which strikes me as a) boring and b) potentially deadly. I tried looking at alternative routes a bit further South, closer to Oxford Road, maybe going through Hyde Park, etc, but it's pretty heavy going with all the one way streets, which then gives way to loads of right turns which will be super tedious...

Any suggestions?

Soldato
Talking of Richmond Park, can anyone give me a halfway decent route there from Euston? If I put it into ridewithgps, it sends me along Marylebone Road and the Westway, which strikes me as a) boring and b) potentially deadly. I tried looking at alternative routes a bit further South, closer to Oxford Road, maybe going through Hyde Park, etc, but it's pretty heavy going with all the one way streets, which then gives way to loads of right turns which will be super tedious...

Any suggestions?

Londoners may give other suggestions but when I used to ride there I did:
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/rp-from-euston

Soldato

thanks a lot!

here's what I've planned -;

http://www.strava.com/routes/583878

looks good ? If I can't get in through that gate I'll go through Kingston Gate..

Soldato

Any suggestions?

yeah I'd avoid marylebone and edgware road if possible.. they're REALLY dangerous and I used to commute through both everyday on my way to work.

if you're not used to massive amounts of cars etc it will be difficult and scary.. the route above looks quite good I'd take that.

Soldato
Interesting mixed reactions from the teams regarding the crowds on the UK stages of Le Tour. I think the numbers were impressive, but lots of the riders weren't too happy about how close people were to the riders. Maybe that's down to a lack of organisation? On the London stage, it looked like they had marshals keeping people back off the roads, but even then there was that crash with David Lopez. Up on Holme Moss I don't remember seeing any marshals doing anything to stop people surging forward, so we were really close to the riders, and there were bits on stage 1 where the riders had to get off their bikes to get past people.

It's a tricky one I guess... On the one hand it's really good that people would turn out for it, and it's great that cycling is so open in terms of letting people get close to the action, but perhaps they needed a few more marshals to keep things under control.

I genuinely think that the volume of people has staggered the organisers. It was quite obvious on TV that there was next to no marshalling or crowd control. I suspect that 90% of the spectators had never been to cycle race before and therefore had no idea what to expect or what behaviour is expected. The behaviour in the main was exemplary and there seemed to be much less back slapping, pushing and running alongside the riders whilst sporting a mankini or their pants.

The camera in every hand is massive issue but one I don't know how to police. Its always been there but just so much more prevalent now as everyone has a mobile phone with them. The goPro on a stick is a bigger hazard in many ways.

I think it probably comes down to educating people to show more respect to the riders and better marshalling. In fairness to Yorkshire It was no worse than in the Giro, Vuelta or French stages of the Tour and in no way should it overshadow a wonderful event.

Associate
Some of the best segments are now unachievable!

http://www.strava.com/activities/162899353#3782116246

41mph!

In terms of watching the tour, the crowds were huge, I went to what I thought would be a quieter area in London but it was still 4 people deep. I was standing on the pavement and by the end everybody just went past onto the road which was both dangerous for the riders and impolite to the people standing at the front of the pavement for ages. Unless you give a contract for 200 miles of barriers on every stage then I'm not sure what else you can do. I think the marshals should have been told to police it a bit better, the one by me was asking people to "please take half a step back if it is OK". You need people with batons and riot gear! OK not really but you need to properly tell people where is safe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom