The µ43 thread - welcome to the really dark side

Associate
Had some lovely clear nights so I have been enjoying using my new (second hand) Olympus 12mm for some long exposure photography. Replaced my E-PL1 with the GX7 and it really is a lovely camera. No worries bumping up the ISO and it is much easier to work my way around the settings, and just feels more balanced. Now I could do with picking up an ND filters so I can experiment with some long exposures during daylight.

Milkyway on Dartmoor by wardo1984, on Flickr

Hartland Quay by wardo1984, on Flickr

Associate
So my formal addition to this thread is the Olympus PEN E-P5.

Came with the stock 14-42mm lens and also a 40-150mm zoom lens as they're chucking it in with the camera at the moment.

Also a 16GB card + Joby 1KG hybrid gorilla pod which I love, especially with the built in wifi on the camera!

Photos of the camera, taken on a measly galaxy s3! :(

RLiPn0F.jpg
FzvChTY.jpg
sAHazs2.jpg

It's a shame it lacks the light versions ability to flip the screen 180 degrees for selfies...but what it lacks in that area it makes up for in ... Wifi pictures ! :D

A bit of camo goes a long way....
cfJzwJ5.jpg

That'll do the trick...
07SCjad.jpg

Now take a step back , and use the camera will full shutter speed/exposure/iso/aperture control!
trBxiII.jpg

Now review photos... get annoyed that the Woodpecker came back literally as the golden hour sun went behind trees, lighting not great, but a few filters added and we have.. (he eventually got used to camera shutter, was pretty funny as I'm hiding away in the awning, and suddenly I can see the image shake on the tablet.. that means he landed on the post the camera was on, and it was game on time!!)

Pin Hole:
QzeO4Vd.jpg
Pin Hole again...
yqumEtm.jpg
What did you just say!??
jHbyJ9H.jpg

All photo's were put through Olympus' RAW editing software, which is ok, but nothing like Light room which i've recently acquired, which i i'll need to learn to get the best from!

So I'm really enjoying the camera, printed the official manual at work and bound it, all 150 odd pages of it, so plenty of reading to do there.

On the subject again of the wifi control, after watching videos of people boosting their AR drones wifi range with just a basic wifi extender, I added my cameras wifi to the el cheapo TP link wife range extender, which pushed the useable range to about 50-60 ft from the camera.

Plans are to buy a Zyxel half decent range extender for about £30, put some high gain antennas on it, buy a 12v 1amp battery pack and charger, set it up around various spots in the garden where it can capture some great shots early morning / late night, with me well away from the subject to not scare it! The timer button is SOOO 1990's (probably ha!) and I just love being able to set it up on the gorrila pod, walk away and take a shot on the tablet/phone, review it on the screen and adjust as necessary for the next shot. Admittedly, before I updated the camera firmware the connection was dropping every 5 minutes, but then I updated to V1.5 and it's been solid ever since, I'm sure the APP will continually be updated with new features in the future.

Probably (definitely) will sell the 14-42 lens put some money towards the Olympus 17mm F1.8 lens, keep the 40-150mm lens for my wifi shots so I can keep the shutter noise as far away from the subject, and eventually sell that and upgrade to a proper telephoto lens.

It’s all quite exciting, but I’m not going to lie when I say I still don’t really know what I’m doing in regards to shutter speed/aperture and ISO when I use the manual settings, I struggle to decide between which shutter setting to use and which ISO setting to put with it! :/ I've recently learned about exposure bracketing , so that definetly give's a novice a helping hand when reviewing on lightroom in case things didn't come out quite right!

Phate, what the hells in the box dude!?

Associate
Great shots. The way you went about taking them is very impressive. The last shot where the bird is looking as if to say "what the hell are you looking at" is brilliant

Caporegime
nice pecker! I have similar wood peckers here but the lighting is always bad when they make an appearance.

Caporegime
Well its here!

So as you all probably guessed, I had ordered a tray, handles and arm and a few extra bits for my UW Rig.

eKrwXEi.jpg

R1e5kX1.jpg

Scuse the mess, in the midst of moving at the minute!

Anyway, it's all made by a company called Ultralight, and the build quality is immense. Very pleased and it's going to get a lot of use next week when in Egypt :)

Associate
That's pretty nifty, bet it cost you a few quid!

How do you take pictures if you're holding the brackets with both arms? :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, does it give you full control over all the camera settings and dials on the top?

Whats the rotating arm on the left for, flashes?

Caporegime
That's pretty nifty, bet it cost you a few quid!

How do you take pictures if you're holding the brackets with both arms? :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, does it give you full control over all the camera settings and dials on the top?

Whats the rotating arm on the left for, flashes?

I'm trying to black out the purchase price :p

The arms are more for getting in and out of the ocean and when manoeuvring as the housing isn't the best of things to hold continuously.

When shooting ill hold it with one handle and have my other hand on the housing/buttons :(

Yeah gives full control of the entire camera, zoom included.

And yeah, its for flashes :)

Associate
So if one was travelling to the USA next week and wanted to purchase an m43s, which would be the one to get? Which would be the prime lens of choice? (somewhere in the 12-25mm range)

The E-M10 seems to have a good review on DP, but I notice some have gone for the older and cheaper E-PL5? Thoughts?

Last edited:
Caporegime
So if one was travelling to the USA next week and wanted to purchase an m43s, which would be the one to get? Which would be the prime lens of choice? (somewhere in the 12-25mm range)

The E-M10 seems to have a good review on DP, but I notice some have gone for the older and cheaper E-PL5? Thoughts?

As far as I'm aware the cameras have the same sensor, so produce very similar/the same images. The M10 has more bells and whistles along with a view finder and double the AF points...not that the PL5 is lacking IMO :)

Both have their merits, the availability of UW kit for the PL5 is what swayed me :)

Back
Top Bottom