What is it that gets internet gamers interested in a community?

Associate
I've been running a multi gaming community now for the last year. I will have been running for 1 year on the 18th July. I've got myself established with some Dedicated Servers in a data centre with some pretty beefy hardware and a huge amount of bandwidth. I have many game servers running and a huge voice server. I've managed to put together a decent site by customizing a purchased template. I've put myself out there and tried doing events to win free game servers and game give aways on steam. I just don't get what gets people interested in gaming communities these days?

What is it that gets internet gamers attracted to sign up and get involved with gaming communities?

I've been a gamer pretty much my whole life since the age of about 4 when my dad let me on his first computer. As I grew up and internet gaming started to get pretty big I was hooked. My first major online gaming experience was with Counter-Strike back in its early stages. I was so hooked on the game and obsessed with the idea of running my own game servers and providing a decent environment for gamers to play in. As I've gotten older things with the online gaming environment seem to be getting a little different. Back in the day it was all about having fun and smashing some games with mates. Now it seems like it's all grinding and no fun.

If you're on my wave length please hit me up.. I don't want this to crash and burn and be all for nothing. I'm trying to reach out to whoever it is that is looking for my community. Come and get involved! Lets play some games and have fun!

Caporegime
people typically join the off server community because of the chat/fun on the server.

unless you got a big group of regulars people can interact with while playing they'll rarely join the community as they don't feel part of the community.

ask yourself this what communities did you join and why?

if the answers non then eeer

Associate
OP
To be honest I totally agree with what you're saying. If people don't feel apart of the community then they aren't going to hang around for very long or even at all. I have a wicked group of mates that are always gaming with me and I'd say they are my number one regulars that keep the icing on the cake from going stale.

I never really asked myself why I've ever joined a community.. But to be honest I never really had a reason to look in the first place. I guess I just ended up getting involved with some in the past and some had better people to play with than others. Some of my online friends are from past communities I've played in. Some are just the odd people you meet online playing some random games.

I guess I'm not really looking to create a "community" if you like.. Just looking to meet some other awesome gamers who like to have a laugh and chill playing some games. That's what it's all about right?

Soldato
I really miss being part of a gaming community - I used to love the old days on the Microsoft Zone playing MW4 and being part of a Clan and a League. Loved the old RTCW MP as well.

I just don't really play multiplayer games anymore and I have too many other things demanding my time to be part of a clan (can't commit to matches and stuff). That and the generic multiplayer FPS and MMO stuff that's churned out these days just doesn't appeal to me. Last MMO I played properly was City of Heroes which was amazing fun at the time. I miss those guys. :(

Associate
Personally I did enjoy the whole community type thing, but I just found the whole regimented clan matches, etc... things a bit tedious after a while.

I much prefer dropping into something now and then,I currently find things like Prop Hunt and Murder (GMod) quite fun and would love to play them with a group of regulars now and then rather than dirty public servers.

Soldato
I think these days games cater for smaller communities.

I know the unofficial ocuk war thunder group is a collection of players that all use ocuk forums, and we have a teamspeak server (free) which is kindly managed by one of the players.

I can't remember off had if someone paid to create the in-game group, but we all join up and have a good laugh.

I don't personally feel the need to be part of any other larger gaming community/websites/dedicated servers tbh, read all of the pc games section and you'll find in each thread there is generally a few members in each one that already play together and take on new players etc.

Associate
I've joined several gaming communities over the last 10 or so years, and enjoyed most of them. Started off joining one because my real life friends were a part of it, but over time there were rifts and it broke down. Every community I've joined now seems to break up after a few years, but I still speak to many of them still, have them added on Facebook etc. Don't know if I'd have time for a community now, but I consider these forums a sort of community.

Back
Top Bottom