A sign of bad driving

Soldato
Trying not to sound sexist or stereo type at all..... but, every women I have been in a car with seem to like sitting at a red light with the car in 1st and foot on the clutch.

I was taught to do that, unless I could see that i'd be sat there for a while. Now I generally just take it out of gear even for short waits.

Man of Honour
Resting foot on the clutch pedal while driving is the biggest cause of release bearing failure.

Just saying.

;)

I hate to see this and frankly never understand it as it's simply never been comfortable either. Van man does it of course, it's the law and chicks do too, usually to ensure the tins of hair spray don't smack the left ankle when they brake, but blokes have no excuse!

Soldato
...not putting it in neutral and just holding the pedal down can damage the clutch? I've been doing this for 2 years since passing my test :(

Yep and bad for your MPG I think, I really wouldn't worry about it though, I'm actually surprised most people put it in neutral when at lights as most people get annoyed of waiting anything past amber :rolleyes:

Associate
So if you know you're going to be idle for a while, neutral + handbrake is the correct way of doing it?

I ask because I've just recently started getting my lessons and handbrake is something I sometimes do, but the clutch down 1st gear waiting to go is what I've been doing, lol.

Caporegime
So if you know you're going to be idle for a while, neutral + handbrake is the correct way of doing it?

I ask because I've just recently started getting my lessons and handbrake is something I sometimes do, but the clutch down 1st gear waiting to go is what I've been doing, lol.

Yes.

Handbrake & into neutral is my procedure whenever I stop for what could be a while i.e. set of lights etc.

Probably cheating, but I find the best way to save clutch wear is not to use it at all! :D - especially in trucks - but, it works well with my e46 too in the main to avoid its hideous clutch delay thingy which I still can't get my head around! :o

Not me,but you get the idea. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Failure can be delayed by not having the clutch depressed excessively. The worst abusers have to be nutters who sit in traffic with the clutch at biting point for however long at a time

Soldato
Yep and bad for your MPG I think, I really wouldn't worry about it though, I'm actually surprised most people put it in neutral when at lights as most people get annoyed of waiting anything past amber :rolleyes:

Can you please explain (mechanically) why it is bad. Surely slipping the clutch plate is far, far worse than leaving tension on the diaphragm spring.

Last edited:
Soldato
@ Dimmi

Yes - especially at traffic lights:
1) waiting at a red traffic light = in neutral with handbrake on
2) Amber light = Put in gear and take up travel on clutch, and be ready to apply accelerator, hand on handbrake ready to release.
3) Green light = GO GO GO GO! [/murray walker]

The time I waste because the guy in front waits until GREEN before he starts the above sequence.

Oh, and to those people who pull away before letting the handbrake go, making the rear of the car go all squatty to the ground, this is a sign to all other road users that you are a driving n00b and they'll regard you with the appropriate contempt for your lack of mechanical sympathy. I'll They'll also cut you up given the scantiest opportunity. :p

Soldato

Some instructors will tech the "wait in gear, clutch down method" Generally they do it, because as a novice coordinating, hands, feet, brain takes a few seconds. Leaving it in gear, clutch down, saves the scramble to find and select the correct gear, find the biting point and get the checks in before moving the car. Biggest chance of a stall is when sitting at the front of the queue and not getting the car away. It's actually pretty poor practice, for a number of reasons. One it will cause premature wear to the thrust bearing. Worse that that if you get hit from behind with car in gear and you foot slips off the clutch it may launch you into the junction or possibly a car in front. If the wait is more that 10-20 seconds, into neutral, parking brake on.

Most decent instructors will change the method as soon as they see an improvement in coordination and control.

Unless of course you white van man then you can just sit rocking the van backwards 10" and forwards on the bite point for 5 mins...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
Slipping is much worse yes.

Slipping damages clutch and release bearing, tension on pedal only damages release bearing.

Both are bad practice.

Yes but WHY does holding tension on pedal damage the release bearing. Slipping clutch is obvious because friction on friction = heat, wear and damage. Mmmmmm burning clutch smell. Holding the release bearing in a steady state doesn't appear to exert any undue forces anywhere.

Last edited:

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
I hate to see this and frankly never understand it as it's simply never been comfortable either. Van man does it of course, it's the law and chicks do too, usually to ensure the tins of hair spray don't smack the left ankle when they brake, but blokes have no excuse!

I've never understood it either, how can it possibly be comfortable to do that?

Associate
Yes but WHY does holding tension on pedal damage the release bearing.
When the clutch is depressed the bearing is under load and is subject to rotation between its parts, other wise its not and hence no wear.

At they're not expected to be in use for long periods they're not designed for it.

Soldato
When the clutch is depressed the bearing is under load and is subject to rotation between its parts, other wise its not and hence no wear.

At they're not expected to be in use for long periods they're not designed for it.

See also crankshaft thrust bearings!

Man of Honour
Failure can be delayed by not having the clutch depressed excessively. The worst abusers have to be nutters who sit in traffic with the clutch at biting point for however long at a time

Or being sat on the foot brake for ages. Never understood why people do either/both when it's more comfortable to sit in neutral with hand brake on :confused:

Back
Top Bottom