British Grand Prix 2014, Silverstone - Race 9/19

Soldato
I guess it all depends on how the system works. If its interlinked without moving parts, as in not secured to the chassis and moves after the suspension units, i.e. a massive great connector between the front and rear suspension, then yes, that would be against the rules, but if it is just some hydraulic system with a tube between the units, then I can't see how that contravenes the article.

Soldato
It's not suddenly banned as it's covered under existing regulations. "Movable aerodynamic devices" have been banned for a couple of decades (at least), so it's already banned in reality. What's changed is that the FIA now understand it and have deemed it could (and should?) be classified under moveable aerodynamic devices, leaving it open to protest.

The only alternative is that all teams agree among themselves that they leave it for now (the sensible decision - but since when has F1 been about sense?).

It is facing suddenly being banned, FRIC started being used in 2008 and it wasn't banned then so has been used for the last 6 seasons without issue but suddenly, 9 races into this season consideration is being given to it being banned. If it is deemed to be illegal does this mean teams will need to be DQ'ed from all the races since its introduction? I do not believe though that with all the scrutineering F1 cars go through both from FIA and other teams that it has taken the FIA 5 and half years to understand it.

Personally I can't see that it will be banned before Germany though, I can see it being a rule change for 2015 or 2016.

Soldato
It is facing suddenly being banned, FRIC started being used in 2008 and it wasn't banned then so has been used for the last 6 seasons without issue but suddenly, 9 races into this season consideration is being given to it being banned. If it is deemed to be illegal does this mean teams will need to be DQ'ed from all the races since its introduction?

It's not being specifically banned (not yet anyway). It contravenes a current regulation, but seeing as the FIA only learned the intricacies how it works recently, there won't be any retrospective punishments (most, if not all, of the grid would be disqualified).

There will be a clarification for next year which will certainly deem it illegal (directly or not), but until a team protests it doesn't seem clear-cut as to whether there would be any action taken in up-coming races. In our heads it's clearly a yes/no on whether or not it contravenes regulations, but it's clearly much, much more complex than that if the FIA have had to investigate whether or not it qualifies as a moveable aero device, so even if a team protests another there is apparently no clear-cut definition as things stand.

Man of Honour
They look fine, no better or worse really, just different.
Anything which gets f1 more relevant to real world sectors is good.

Also lmao at all the news articles going Mercedes are going to lose their advantage if Fric is banned, like that's Mercedes only advantage.

Soldato
http://www.grandprix247.com/2014/07/09/fric-ban-may-end-mercedes-dominance/

f the latest developments in Formula 1 are any indication, the Mercedes’ utter dominance might not last for too much longer.

Last year, we reported that a secret under the skin of the silver car is: FRIC – standing for front and rear interconnected.

Emulating active suspension, the system is now widespread up and down the pitlane, but the FIA’s Charlie Whiting has sent a letter to teams warning that FRIC’s legality could be called into question.

An immediate ban is reportedly on the cards. And that is not all. The Spanish sports newspaper Marca reports that the FIA is also considering clamping down on the rate and flow of hybrid power from the new 2014 V6 turbo power units.

A source was quoted as saying that while the actual combustion engines produced by Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault this year are remarkably close in performance, the big advantage enjoyed by Mercedes is in the ‘hybrid’ areas.

The source said Mercedes’ advantage could be as much as “between 110 to 130 horse power on the straights”.

Finally, Mercedes could be set to lose a first-lap advantage over its rivals, after Williams’ Felipe Massa complained about the behaviour of the silver cars on the formation lap at Silverstone.

“I had to stop twice, pulling in the clutch,” the Brazilian is quoted by Spain’s sports daily AS. “They’re doing it [driving slowly] for some reason. We always complain, and Charlie said that he was going to fix it, but no one has been penalised yet,” Massa added. (GMM)

Caporegime
If all that above BS happens, I'm out.

What BS?

It's hardly new for them to close loopholes in the rules, especially in the interests of closing the gap. Hell some teams have had stuff okayed only to be banned later. The only area that would bother me if clamping down on hybrid, that was the whole point of the stuff in the first place. Also Mercedes carried on with it while other teams ditched it. They deserve their time in the sun after taking the pain a few years ago.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Nothing will change. Mercedes will still dominate. FIA and the media clutching at straws...always happens with the lead team.

Anyone else see that wheel pic that nearly hit chilton. That is some scary stuff.

Soldato
What BS?

The only area that would bother me if clamping down on hybrid, that was the whole point of the stuff in the first place. Also Mercedes carried on with it while other teams ditched it. They deserve their time in the sun after taking the pain a few years ago.

That BS mostly. It's simply trying to bring a team back into the pack, it's hardly their fault everyone else is struggling to keep up. We sat through 4 yrs of Redbull before their wings were seriously clipped, they seem to be out for blood with Merc.. We are half way through one season ffs.

Soldato
Agreed with ZG002 - going to by mighty peeved if they basically neuter the Merc. Few years of flexible wings and such on the Redbull ignored, with changes to tyres to benefit them even though Ferrari/Renault were coping fine.... Then half a season of Merc being the car to beat and they want to knock it down? Atleast get to the end of the season before banning stuff!

Back
Top Bottom