Windows 7 mainstream support ends in January 2015, but it's not time to freak out yet

Soldato
provided it lasts long enough for windows 9 to come out and prove to be good i'll not be complaining.

i'm not on the w8 bandwagon tbh, at least for my main rig just yet, have it on this laptop and there's some things can get annoying, hopefully w9 will be for w8 what 7 was to vista

Soldato
provided it lasts long enough for windows 9 to come out and prove to be good i'll not be complaining.

i'm not on the w8 bandwagon tbh, at least for my main rig just yet, have it on this laptop and there's some things can get annoying, hopefully w9 will be for w8 what 7 was to vista

Don't knock Vista or Win8 they are good operating systems IMHO,if you want free lifetime support then go Linux,problem solved.

As to Win9 whatever happens you can bet the moaners will arrive,too bad I can't put them on DOS for ten years ,they might learn something and then be ready for easy Windows lol..

As to Win7,history in my books like Vista and WinXP RIP.

Last edited:
Caporegime
longs as win 7 lasts 3 years plus secure im happy

its nice to have everything unified
laptop
work laptop
desktop
htpc

all win 7 and all work nice and easily with home server 2011

Associate

Unfortunately the extended support is "Paid For" and as true for most M$ products it aint cheap.

M$ will still throw out critical patches that were developed for paying customers but that will be it. That being said M$ gave XP 2 stays of execution and as Win7 is just as popular they might decide to extend it further just before expiry like XP.

Oh and yup it kinda kills any hope of SP2 doesnt it.

Soldato
Don't knock Vista or Win8 they are good operating systems IMHO,if you want free lifetime support then go Linux,problem solved.

As to Win9 whatever happens you can bet the moaners will arrive,too bad I can't put them on DOS for ten years ,they might learn something and then be ready for easy Windows lol..

As to Win7,history in my books like Vista and WinXP RIP.

vista was good, until 7 proved it was better [to wit, being vista with all the public eye problems removed such as uac being a mother hen]

8 has its good points, spending 40 minutes to 2 hours trying to connect to a wifi system whilst comrades on phones, tablets, macs, xp, vista and 7 machines are forging ahead is not one of them. boots fast though.

Man of Honour
Unfortunately the extended support is "Paid For" and as true for most M$ products it aint cheap.

M$ will still throw out critical patches that were developed for paying customers but that will be it. That being said M$ gave XP 2 stays of execution and as Win7 is just as popular they might decide to extend it further just before expiry like XP.

Oh and yup it kinda kills any hope of SP2 doesnt it.

MS in making money like every other software supplier shocker!

Soldato
vista was good, until 7 proved it was better [to wit, being vista with all the public eye problems removed such as uac being a mother hen]

8 has its good points, spending 40 minutes to 2 hours trying to connect to a wifi system whilst comrades on phones, tablets, macs, xp, vista and 7 machines are forging ahead is not one of them. boots fast though.

Not had any issues myself with Vista in the old days and no Wi-Fi issues on Win8/8.1 (I've twelve wi-fi devices connected at the moment from Android and Apple to Windows/Linux desktop PCs on my Win8/8.1 network which covers tablets,phones,laptops,desktop PCs etc, however I have spent many weeks in fact over a month (last year) trying to get Win7 to work with Microsoft updates on my mums and my brothers PC ( different times this same issue happened)including trying the Microsoft Update patch fix tool ,so much for a better OS(fixed it in the end with a reformat of OS on both).

I'll say longest it has took me is about ten minutes and that's me trying to find my WPA2 key for my Wi-Fi on Win8(I keep it on two of my USB keys and I've too many of them lol).

Last edited:
Soldato
Linux iterates far faster than Windows ever does, but I get your point. Microsoft's product lifetime is more than adequate and could be so much worse

To be fair you get pretty good value for a Microsoft OS when you consider how long it lasts(with updates and support) when you consider how much you pay for a typical new game or piece of software not to mention hardware.

Having free alternatives is just icing on the cake and another plus point.

Back
Top Bottom